10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2009 6:15 AM by PaulieDC

Building new system

VideoCrafters Level 1

Ok, I am going to give it a try... never built one before.

Here is what I am thinking:

ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor

Corsair Core i7 XMS3 12GB PC12800 DDR3

System: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s

3 video drives: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s (no raid?)

COOLER MASTER COSMOS S RC-1100-KKN1-GP

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V

Pioneer Black 8X Blu-Ray DVD Burner

Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 64-bit for System Builders

GeForce GTX 260 896MB 448-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16

Am I making any mistakes?

Thanks,

Mickey

• 1. Re: Building new system
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Mickey,

Three remarks.

1. Check the timings on the Corsair memory. AFAIK it is only 9-9-9-24. You may be better off with the OCZ Reaper HPC version with 6-6-6-20 or the ReaperX HPC with 6-5-5-20 timings.

2. Vista Ultimate carries a much larger overhead than Business.

3. Instead of Pioneer burners consider the LG GGW-H20L burners. Better price and in benchmarks they outperform the Pioneer.

What about cooling? Have a look at these guides, especially the first link, you may find some tips on cooling.

How to get the best from a PC? Some guides...

Why did you choose for the Deluxe version and not the WS Pro? For the rest, good choice. You will be happy with it.

• 2. Re: Building new system
            Jim_Simon Level 8

System: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s

That's waaaaay overkill for a System drive.  Ideally, you don't want anything on that but Windows and Programs.  Keep My Documents fairly empty and use another computer for that stuff.

By way of example, my System drive is only 75 GB and is only about half full.

• 3. Re: Building new system
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Jim,

Two things to consider:

1. The most advised disk for boot is the WD Velociraptor, either 150 GB or 300 GB. Cost for the 150 GB version around 135 euro.

2. WD Caviar Black 1 TB is nearly as fast, cost around 80 euro.

When the boot disk is only filled up to around 10-20% there is no discernable difference in performance between the two, but the price difference is there. I would not advise this approach, but you could get far better performance with 2 WD Caviar Blacks in raid0 for about the price of a Velociraptor.

• 4. Re: Building new system
                VideoCrafters Level 1

Regarding the memory, the Reaper product that you suggest only are available in 2 gb. I want to end up with 12gb of memory. The OCZ PC2-6400 ReaperX HPC Enhanced Bandwidth 4GB is available at EPP 4-4-3-15*(CAS-TRCD-TRP-TRAS) is available. Would that be a better option?

Would the WS Pro add a clear benefit?

• 5. Re: Building new system
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Also, more discussions from the top of this forum http://forums.adobe.com/thread/455599

• 6. Re: Building new system
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

2. WD Caviar Black 1 TB is nearly as fast, cost around 80 euro.

A fair point.  Hard drive speeds, densities and prices have definitely changed since I bought my own Raptor.  Still, I think my point was well made.  If a 320 can be had for less than a 1TB, there's no need to spring for the extra storage on an edit rig's System drive.  Ideally, it'll never get used.

• 7. Re: Building new system
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

The OCZ PC2-6400 ReaperX HPC Enhanced Bandwidth 4GB is available at EPP 4-4-3-15*(CAS-TRCD-TRP-TRAS) is available.

No, that is DDR2. The one you need to have a look at is OCZ3RPX1333EB4GK, ReaperX HP, a kit of two 2 GB sticks, of which you need three for 12 GB total, or the OCZ3RPR13334GK, Reaper HP, also 2 GB per stick.Maybe they are even available in tri-kits, but I have not yet found them, but the product code for tri-kits would be OCZ3RPX1333EB6GK or OCZ3RPR13336GK.

The WS Pro has no IDE connectors (who uses them anymore?), has a Marvell raid controller and Marvell eSATA controller and uses a LSI chip for two firewire ports. Those are the main distinguishing differences between the WS-Pro and the Deluxe V2. Whether these differences mean anything to you, I don't know. I was just curious.

• 8. Re: Building new system
                        Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Here is a concept for using the excess space on the large system disk.  Why not partition it with a small ~100+ GB first partition for the OS/Applications (the fastest part of the disk) and then only use the remainder for temporary archiving?  I know for many years we have discougarged partitions but why not use it for anything that is really off-line?

• 9. You're Close!
                          PaulieDC Level 2

I have a Canon 5D Mark II and I just finished building a new i7 rig for Premiere CS4 (my first rig also!). The thing SCREAMS, it actually yawns at what I throw at it. I can't believe that I can now play the raw 1080p .mov files from the camera as smooth as glass... actually surprised me, I still expected stuttery playback. Media Encoder now works too (used to crash on my 32-bit 4GB dual core laptop).

OK, here's my suggestions:

• RAM: The info that others have posted about RAM is good, follow their advice. But definitely get 12GB, 6GB is NOT enough, yet some argue that it is. For an extra $80, why argue? I encoded a 19-minute video clip the other night and by the end I was using 6.2GB of RAM. Go with 12GB. I use Patriot DDR1600, but Corsair and OCZ are excellent and probably more popular.
                          • OS: Absolutely do NOT get Vista 64 bit. You'll want to download Windows 7 Release Candidate 64 bit while it's still available (it hits the stores in October). This RC version of 7 is so good, all the gamers are using it exclusively. I've been on Vista for two years and then switch to 7 two months ago at work, and now I have the 64 bit version on my video rig. I have 16 Microsoft certifications, so please TRUST ME on this one... use Windows 7 and you will be one happy camper. The RC version is totally free until March 2010, at which time you'll need to wipe and reload with a purchased retail version (again, available in October). Professional 64 bit is what you want when you go to buy, the Ultimate version isn't worth it. You can download Windows 7 RC here:http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/dd353205.aspx . It ends August 20th, so download it now. One nice thing: it deferes the cost of an OS until Fall! So just to reiterate, Window 7 RC is the release candidate and will run fine and totally free until March 2010. Starting in October, the RTM (Retail version) of 7 will be available so you'll need to buy that at some point before March 2010 when the RC version runs out. You'll need to wipe and reload, but you should do that anytime you have a new OS. I never liked upgrading. For one thing, upgrading doesn't get you a nice, new, clean Registry.
                          • System Drive: I use one WD 300GB 10K Raptor as my system drive (Windows 7, Production Premium CS4, the lightweight Windows 7 Mail Client, and my plug-ins, not much else). I have 235GB of 279GB free, and the thing absolutely screams. You don't need to RAID your system drive.
                          • Media Drives: As soon as I pay off the mobo, I'll be getting two WD RE3 WD1001FALS 1TB drives to run in RAID0 for super speed. I don't get redundancy, but I have multiple LaCie Quadra drives for backing up, so I'm fine with that. You could get 4 WD1001FALS 1TB drives and run RAID10, which would give you 2GB of RAID speed with the redundancy, but that does add up! By no means do you want the Caviar Black series if you plan to RAID. They have timeout circuitry built-in which can cause RAID to drop, but as standalone drives they are EXCELLENT. So get the Black series if you don't plan to RAID.
                          • PSU: For $20 more, go with the Corsair 850w, not the 750w. That extra bit will run more efficiently and give you a bit more growth room.
                          • MOBO: This is preference really, but I like the EVGA X58 because of how easy it is to OC it, and the forums and Customer service are really good. PLUS, EVGA mail-in rebates come back in under a month! WD is probably the worst for slow MIR's.
                          • Video Card: Perfect choice! I originally bought two EVGA GTX260's (Core 216) and ran them in SLI. Then I found out that Premiere doesn't leverage SLI cards! So I sold one of them and only run one solo, and it works better than I had imagined for a $154 card. I downloaded Flight Sim X as a test, cranked EVERYTHING up, and got 38-50 FPS! Smoothest flight I've ever experienced on a PC, with a single GPU. That i7 is insane, such as amazing processor. So save your money if you were thinking of dual GPUs, you don't need 'em. There IS software that enables Premiere to leverage the GPU, it's called Accelerator by Elemental Technologies, but it only comes bundled (starting next month) with certain NVidia Graphics cards that are designed for CAD and video editing: one is the PNY FX3800. It has the same power as the GTX260 (less actually, the FX3800 only has 192 cores), but it's been licensed to use this Accelerator software, which doesn't work with the GTX200 series (it can, just not authorized by NVidia... go figure). But all you get is faster rendering times, so is an $899 video card worth that? Not to me! My 260 does me fine!
                          • Final Thoughts: I use an Antec 1200 case. It's huge and has 43,000 fans. CPU cooler: there's several good ones, I use a Zalman with the adapter, but Coolermaster V8's are probably better. I got an internal card reader at Best Buy for $11.99 (Dynex I think?) which plugs into half of a USB header port, and it transfers at 20+MB/sec! Right now I don;t have internal media drives, still need more $$$, but I'm using a $139 LaCie d2 Quadra 1TB external with an eSata port, and it gets 90mb/sec transfer (seriously). So there's a cheap solution that becomes a great backup drive once you get internal drives. I haven't OC'd my i7 yet, but it's doing so well stock, I'm not sure I'll bother right now. Oh, I just picked up an APC 1300va Backup UPS at Office Max for $169, to protect my system. It has enough juice to run your rig if you get an outage. It's boost-only, doesn't correct for high voltage, but that's not needed for today's high-end PSUs. The Corsair 850w can auto adjust up to 270 volts, so you don't need a more expensive APC unit to also do that for you. Lastly, without the media drives that I have yet to get, I've built my whole rig as it stands for just under $1300, so you don't have to spend oodles of cash like gamers do. I have: 17 920 | EVGA X58 Mobo | 12GB Patriot DDR1600 RAM | EVGA GTX260 Core 216 | WD 10K 300GB Raptor | Corsair 850w-TX | Antec 1200 Case | Cheap LG DVD burner | Cheap Card Reader | Zalman 9700 cooler | Windows 7 RC 64 bit. Oh, make sure you purchase Arctic 5 Silver Thermal Paste. For 8 bucks, it's the best paste to use between your i7 and your cooler. Throw away whatever comes with your cooler. BTW, you do get a stock cooler with the i7. I left it in the box. ;-)

Have fun!

• 10. GOOD Price for 500GB WD Black
                            PaulieDC Level 2

Since we're talking about building rigs, Newegg.com had a 48-hour sale going, and one of the items on sale is the 500GB WD Caviar Black. Use promo code EMCLWLT28 and you get it for $59.99USD with free shipping.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136320&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL080609&cm_ mmc=EMC-IGNEFL080609-_-HardDrives-_-L0A-_-22136320

Funny, 500GB seems small, but until you can afford all the RAID drives you may want, this extra drive for working media would greatly increase performance if someone is just starting out and currently only has one hard drive for OS, apps, and media. You can't take your wife and kids to Olive Garden for under $59.99...