2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2009 4:29 AM by Roy Marshall

[JS][CS3] Script Librarys

Roy Marshall Level 1

Hi.

I am going to be embarking on a large scripting project soon, and would like to know if there is any way I can point a script to a different script file containing my commonly used functions.  This is something similar to (as my failing memory recalls) in c++, having the #include........ line at the top of the code.

If this can be done, great, but if not, I can live with using simple functions in the one main script.

Cheers

Roy

• 1. Re: [JS][CS3] Script Librarys
          Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi, Roy!

Check the following file of the InDesign CS3 SDK:

javascript_tools_guide_cs3.pdf

p216 "Modular Programming Support"

Excerpt:

"ExtendScript provides support for a modular approach to scripting by allowing you to include one script in
          another as a resource, and allowing a script to export definitions that can be imported and used in another
          script."

also see the following file of the InDesign CS4(!) SDK:

ar42s03s03.html

"Loading external scripts"

Excerpts:

"ExtendScript has an #include feature you can use to include an external JavaScript file, so the functions in the include file are available for the locale script to use; however, you cannot use it to load a compiled binary script. If you want to distribute your JavaScript feature in binary format like Export as XHTML, you cannot use #include to load an external JavaScript file."

"In CS3, Export as XHTML’s source has a function called loadScript()"

Greetings,

Uwe

• 2. Re: [JS][CS3] Script Librarys
            Roy Marshall Level 1

Hi Uwe.

Thanks for that solution.

That was really easy!!!! and I will use this feature to keep my common code in one place.

Thanks again matey,

Roy