10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2009 9:29 AM by flbreen

Can't run (Media Encoder or Encore) and Premiere Pro

flbreen Level 1

I finished a sequence, started up Media Encoder, then began editing a new sequence with Premierer.

The result was that after a while, Media Encoder "Not Responding".

I started Media Encoder again and this time I left the room to watch TV.

Media Encoder built the AVI file correctly.

Also Encore died when I tried to use Premiere at the same time.

Is that the rule with CS4 applications?

• 1. Re: Can't run (Media Encoder or Encore) and Premiere Pro
          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

What Operating System, please?

How much RAM?

How many physical hard disks and how much free space on each?

The CS4 apps all play nice together, even when they're all open at the same time on my system.  But I have plenty of RAM (16 GB) and plenty of hard disk space (over 3 TB free on 4 disks).

-Jeff

• 2. Re: Can't run (Media Encoder or Encore) and Premiere Pro
            flbreen Level 1

My system is a Dell 435T Vista with 6 GB RAM.

It has 2 internal drives running Raid 0 with a total of 1.2 TB.

I think I am down to 0.4 TB.

• 3. Re: Can't run (Media Encoder or Encore) and Premiere Pro
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Frank,

In general it is a bad idea to use a raid0 for your boot disk. You may be better off with a third disk. One dedicated to OS & programs. You can raid the other 2 disks or use them as 2 separate disks, one for media and the other for pagefile, scratch and projects.

• 4. Re: Can't run (Media Encoder or Encore) and Premiere Pro
                flbreen Level 1

Harm

Sorry to keep bothering you with the same problem.

I am having so much trouble with this system I have to do something.

Please tell me what you would do if you had my system.

The system came with two 650GB internal drives in raid 0 and 6 GB RAM and Vista Home Premium.

I need to add drives to get to the 3 that you recommend.

I was thinking of buying an ESATA card and adding two 1TB external drives.

I assume I will follow your instructions for a clean install.

• 5. Re: Can't run (Media Encoder or Encore) and Premiere Pro
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Frank,

First I would look if you have sufficient  space to add an internal disk (from the picture on the Dell site it looks like there is room for another drive) and whether the mobo has a SATA connector free. If both are available I would add a smallish (around 300 GB is more than enough) disk internally as your boot disk. That will leave the eSATA connector in the front free for further expansion or backup to an external eSATA disk. In that case you would not need to buy an extra eSATA card.

• 6. Re: Can't run (Media Encoder or Encore) and Premiere Pro
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

I would strongly suggest reconfiguring your exiting HDD's and adding at least one more, per Harm's suggestions. Your editing experience WILL imporove. The eSATA externals are fine, once you have your base computer set up correctly. I use FW-800's to edit to/from, as I swap systems a bit. Still, each system, including my laptop, has multiple internal HDD's (six for the workstation and 3 for the laptop). You've got good CPU and RAM power, but your overall experience will improve with a little work on the I/O sub-system.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Can't run (Media Encoder or Encore) and Premiere Pro
                      flbreen Level 1

Harm

I know you spelled this out in one of your essays but I want to get my terms straight.

C: one internal drive for Vista and Adobe applications

D: one internal drive project files

E: one internal drive for media

I put all my projects (Premiere Pro and Encore) on D:

When I capture tapes I put thoes AVI files on E:

When I Export edited sequences I put those AVI files on E: ?

• 8. Re: Can't run (Media Encoder or Encore) and Premiere Pro
                        flbreen Level 1

Hunt

Could you tell me what you mean by (I use FW-800's to edit to/from, as I swap systems a bit)?

You perfer FW-800 over ESATA?

I use 2 external USB drive with my old system.

I store raw footage (AVI files) on one and edited AVI file on the other.

I put project files on the internal drive.

I don't have any trouble with jerky playback during editing but I cannot run Encore while editing.

• 9. Re: Can't run (Media Encoder or Encore) and Premiere Pro
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

Correct Frank.

Bill should answer this himself, but I would assume that he invested in FW800 disks at a time when eSATA was not yet (easily) available.

Frank, running both PR and EN at the same time does not seem logical to me, just as running PR and AE at the same time does not make sense. All these programs require heavy user interaction so it makes much sense to switch from one application to the other, but not using both at the same time. That would require two keyboards, two mice. Or did you mean something else, apart from the background batch encoding with AME?

• 10. Re: Can't run (Media Encoder or Encore) and Premiere Pro
                            flbreen Level 1

Harm

In EN once I click on the Build button to begin building a DVD it will take more than 30 minutes before the DVD comes out.

In the mean time I would like to fire up PR to start editing some other project.

If that is not something I can do then I can use my KVM switch to go to my old PC and produce artwork for the DVD case.

On another topic, I am in the process of making a BluRay DVD with Encore and when I clicked on the Preview button, instead of getting the neat little window that allows me to run a simulation of the DVD menu, I got a huge version of that menu that I could not manuver to get to the controller buttons.