1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 31, 2008 8:45 AM by Newsgroup_User

Touchscreen director app in kiosk dies after light use

Dava Level 1
      Hi, Wonder if someone can help... my *** is on the line!!

I've built a director movie as a front end for playing 6 x 3 minute long quicktime films. Publish projector as .exe, throw all files at the PC in the kiosk and all works perfectly for about an hour or so of continuous use. Then the video starts to stutter and eventually I end up with a blank screen with no response from the touchscreen.

Movie size is 1280 x 768, video files are 1280 x 720 (and around 300Mb per film). The PC has a dual head graphics acrd which feeds a 42" LCD as a slave monitor. The kiosk has been back to the factory several times, the graphics card has been swapped out, the RAM (2Gb) has been replaced and was bench tested in their workshop and all "worked fine". But back in the visitor centre all goes pear shaped...

We have an identical setup the other side of the visitor centre which works perfectly but this is a pure director built game, no video files.

Are the quicktimes (or director) eating up the memory of the PC and not letting go or something? How would I fix this?

Any help is appreciated... :O)
        • 1. Re: Touchscreen director app in kiosk dies after light use
          Level 7
          Dava wrote:
          > I've built a director movie as a front end for playing 6 x 3 minute
          > long quicktime films. Publish projector as .exe, throw all files at
          > the PC in the kiosk and all works perfectly for about an hour or so
          > of continuous use. Then the video starts to stutter and eventually I
          > end up with a blank screen with no response from the touchscreen.
          <snip>
          > Are the quicktimes (or director) eating up the memory of the PC and
          > not letting go or something? How would I fix this?

Can you restart the projector every ~55 minutes?

You could have the same projector but with two different program names: use
          "open" from within each to open the other one, then "halt".

Andrew