4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2009 10:58 PM by Zeno Bokor

Applying identical free transform to second object?

zerchol
      Please excuse my lack of techinical knowledge, I am trying to learn my way through AI via trial & error since I don't have time to read a book or so.

I think I understand what paths/anchors are used for and how basic perspective transform works (holding cmd/control and perhaps option and/or shift). I have an object that has already been distorted via Free Transform so that the perspective is changed. I have a logo I would like to add onto the surface of the object.

My assumption is to use Free Distort again, but how to mimick the same distortions to the correct angles? I have experimented with grabbing corners of the bounding box and trying to snap them to corresponding anchor points of the background perspective shape...but it's not really working out.

What am I missing?

I've tried searching for perspective and free transform tool tutorials, but they mostly just show how to distort into a new perspective but not how to 'mimick' or align to an existing perspective.

Thanks!
        • 1. Re: Applying identical free transform to second object?
          Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

You did that the wrong way you would first position that which you wish to map to the relative position of the object it is being mapped to then group
          the two and then use the free transform.

The other way is to use the #D Effect's Rotate command and rotate and give it some perspective within the dialog. Then you can turn your art that you wish to map into a symbol which then can be mapped by going back to the effect by accessing it in the appearance panel which will allow you to bring up the 3D Rotate Effect dialog.

You then click on Map Art button and then select the surface you need to map the art to and then select from the drop down the symbol you made of your art and you can see liv the preview on your art.

You would actually make the art into a symbol before apply the 3d effect but I wanted you to see that you can keep the effect live and even after you save a close the art you can still remove or remap different art.

Now most important is that this is Illustrator and you are not going to learn it by trial and error and so it is important for you to get a book like Mordy Golding's Real World Illustrator. For certain Mordy writes much better than probably any of us when it comes to methods, techniques and the workings and fundamentals of Illustrator and the other Adobe programs. Otherwise you are going to be very limited in what you ca do and the amount of time you spend trying to figure it out is going to be a lot more than you will spend reading Mordy's book.

The really good thing about the book is that is written in a way so that it is one fast reading and easy to retain.

Do yourself a big favor and read the book.

After all this is Illustrator and not an easy program to learn.

• 2. Re: Applying identical free transform to second object?
            RogerPaine Level 1

Wade is right; you're doing it the hard way and his method is sound, however it may not get you out of the jam you've got yourself into.

The attached workaround may help.

You have to be able to figure out the general shape of the original distort though - try drawing a truncated triangle around it

• 3. Re: Applying identical free transform to second object?
              Zeno Bokor Level 6

try using Effect->Distort & Transform->Free Distort or record the distortion you made with the Free Transfrom tool using an action

• 4. Re: Applying identical free transform to second object?
                RogerPaine Level 1

Zeno, that won't work because the length of the two objects is different - the second distort will appear more sharply receeding than the first one. The proportions of the two objects are different, so the transform effect changes.