10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2009 9:52 AM by Chuck A. McIntyre

Ultra in CS4

Glergen Level 1

Hello All,

I just noticed that Ultra isn't in CS4, am I missing something. I know I had it in CS3. If it's not in CS4 (which would be a bummer) would loading CS3 version cause any conflict with CS4. Thank you.

• 1. Re: Ultra in CS4
          Harm Millaard Level 7

It does not cause any conflict. I use Ultra CS3 and CS4 MC without any problems.

I do think that Adobe is slowly phasing out both Ultra and Audition, which IMO is a shame. From a sales point of view they are missing the opportunity to generate extra cash from the Master Set Libraries.

• 2. Re: Ultra in CS4
            Glergen Level 1

Thanks for answering Harm.

• 3. Re: Ultra in CS4
              Chuck A. McIntyre Level 3

We sometimes use the included Ultra sets. More often, we use Ultra to get the cleanest key I have seen (compared to other programs) and export a 32 bit keyed source (uncompressed) from Ultra. We then bring this 32 bit keyed file into Premiere CS4 where we can experiment with different backgrounds. This method offers the best flexibility in my opinion. For instance, last month we were on show site in New Orleans. We had a 6 minute long video that was designed to run as part of a live presentation. The video was shot green screen and keyed in Ultra CS3. The key was amazing as usual with Ultra. Instead of marrying an Ultra background to the keyed clips exported from Ultra, I exported everything as a 32 bit keyed source.

During rehearsal, the client and producer agreed that although the moving background looked great on the computer preview, the moving background in the video projected on the big screen was distracting. The actual show was only a few hours away, so if I hadn't exported from Ultra as a 32 bit keyed source, I'm not sure I could have fixed the video in time. The way things worked out, all I had to do was put a frame "hold on in point" to the once moving background, then export.

So...

I think in an upcoming version of Premiere Production Suite, Ultra should at least be treated like a dynamically linked program. For example, right-click your green screen clips on the Premiere timeline, select "key in Ultra", Ultra opens up, you key the clips, select 32 bit keyed source, go back to Premiere and there are your clips keyed and ready for export.

• 4. Re: Ultra in CS4
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Charles, I think that would be a great feature request.

• 5. Re: Ultra in CS4
                  RDA972 Level 3

One can already do that with the Keylight plugin built into After Effects.

• 6. Re: Ultra in CS4
                    Chuck A. McIntyre Level 3

Robert Wrote:

"One can already do that with the Keylight plugin built into After Effects."

Or, one can key from within Premiere CS4 using the built-in "Chroma Key", "Color Key", etc. which delivers a poor quality result. In my experience, Ultra is the best keying program available. Ultra is more intuitive and seems to use less system resources than the Keylight plug-in in After Effects. Since Adobe acquired Serious Magic, many of us who use it are hoping Adobe keeps it around and builds upon an already great product

• 7. Re: Ultra in CS4