6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2009 9:39 AM by the_wine_snob

PREMIER CS3 - Eyedropper Tool ONLY Sees BLUE

Xippyxix

When I am Chroma or Colour Keying in Premier CS3 the eyedropper only sees BLUE, whereas last week it saw EVERYTHING that I would touch it to.

I was told to buy CS4 but that's not an option for me yet.

How do I get it to see the colours I am touching with it again?

Xin

• 1. Re: PREMIER CS3 - Eyedropper Tool ONLY Sees BLUE
          the_wine_snob Level 9

A couple of questions, and I'll take the Chroma Keying Effect as the example:

1.) when you click the eyedropper, does the cursor change to the eyedropper symbol?

2.) does this happen with any Clip, of just one in particular

3.) what are the other settings in the Chroma Key box in the Effects Control Panel?

I've never encountered what you're observing and just trying to rule out some possibilities here. You should not have to upgrade to CS4 for this to work for you.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS welcome to the forum.

PPS you don't have a Matrox card and this isn't a Matrox Project, is it?

• 2. Re: PREMIER CS3 - Eyedropper Tool ONLY Sees BLUE
            Xippyxix Level 1

Thank you so much for your reply. I will answer Your questions below, with my answers having a +++ preceding it.

A couple of questions, and I'll take the Chroma Keying Effect as the example:

1.) when you click the eyedropper, does the cursor change to the eyedropper symbol?

+++ The cursor changes to the EYEDROPPER as soon as I mouse-over the actual eyedropper icon. As soon as I click it, the colour in the box becomes an off blue-purple, and no matter what colour (with the exception of white) that I click on, the blue-purple colour remains as the selected colour. This does NOT happen in After Effects when I use chroma key there.

2.) does this happen with any Clip, of just one in particular

+++ It happens with ALL my clips whether they were/are standard def or HD.

3.) what are the other settings in the Chroma Key box in the Effects Control Panel?

+++In order the options in Chroma Key are:

Colour - has the colour box and eyedropper icon

Similarity

Blend

Threshold

Cutoff

Smoothing with an options drop down box

Mask Only with a check box.

+++The way I have been solving this problem is screen-shotting the work page with the video in the top right box, pasting in Photoshop, then eyedropping the colour there, writing down the RGB values and manually entering them into Premier, which I am sure is not as accurate as it could be.

I've never encountered what you're observing and just trying to rule out some possibilities here. You should not have to upgrade to CS4 for this to work for you.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS welcome to the forum.

+++Thanks!

PPS you don't have a Matrox card and this isn't a Matrox Project, is it?

+++I have no idea what the Matrox question is all about, so I will have to say - No? - I think.....

• 3. Re: PREMIER CS3 - Eyedropper Tool ONLY Sees BLUE
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Thanks for the info.

Now, some observations, followed by a few more questions:

My question - 1.) when you click the eyedropper, does the cursor change to the eyedropper symbol?

+++ The cursor changes to the EYEDROPPER as soon as I mouse-over the actual eyedropper icon. As soon as I click it, the colour in the box becomes an off blue-purple, and no matter what colour (with the exception of white) that I click on, the blue-purple colour remains as the selected colour. This does NOT happen in After Effects when I use chroma key there.

This is odd behavior. When working with the Chroma Key Effect (my example), I start with a color swatch and the Eyedropper button/icon. Hovering over it will do nothing, until I click on that button/icon. That is when the cursor changes to the Eyedropper symbol - not before I click. Something is odd here.

My question - 3.) what are the other settings in the Chroma Key box in the Effects Control Panel?

Similarity

Blend

Threshold

Cutoff

My settings are:

Color with the swatch and Eyedropper button/icon

Similarity 0.0%

Blend 0.0%

Threshold 0.0%

Cutoff 0.0%

Smoothing None

Mask Only unchecked

Can you try those settings as a test? You can change them back after the test.

You'd most likely know if you had a Matrox Video/Capture card. We can probably rule that one out.

You should not need to upgrade to CS4, unless some of its features would be worth it. I'm testing this with PrPro 2.0 on my laptop, so you should get almost everything that I do. You should also NOT need to go to Photoshop for this. Something is odd, as mentioned above.

Now, most of these questions mainly come from my years with PS, and might have nothing to do with PrPro. Still, these were things that could mess up the Eyedropper in PS.

Do you have Cap Locks ON, or OFF?

Do you have a MS InteliPoint mouse driver?

Are you running Window Blinds?

What happens if you Ctrl-click on the Eyedropper button/icon?

What happens if you Alt-click on the Eyedropper button/icon?

What happens if you Shift-click on the Eyedropper button/icon?

What is the exact version of CS3 that you're running. Tip: Help>About and look to the middle-left of the splash screen for some black text with something like CS3.0.2.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: PREMIER CS3 - Eyedropper Tool ONLY Sees BLUE
                the_wine_snob Level 9

One more question: if you Dbl-click on the little color swatch, to the left of the Eyedropper button/icon, can you change the colors?

Obviously, with the Eyedropper active, that swatch should update as you pass the cursor over the Clip, but I want to make sure that there is not some problem with the swatch.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: PREMIER CS3 - Eyedropper Tool ONLY Sees BLUE
                  Xippyxix Level 1

My Replies will be in BOLD

Thanks for the info.

Now, some observations, followed by a few more questions:

My question - 1.) when you click the eyedropper, does the cursor change to the eyedropper symbol?

This is odd behavior. When working with the Chroma Key Effect (my example), I start with a color swatch and the Eyedropper button/icon. Hovering over it will do nothing, until I click on that button/icon. That is when the cursor changes to the Eyedropper symbol - not before I click. Something is odd here.

Could there be an Automatic/Options filter that is turned on that I don't know about?

My question - 3.) what are the other settings in the Chroma Key box in the Effects Control Panel?

Similarity

Blend

Threshold

Cutoff

My settings are:

Color with the swatch and Eyedropper button/icon

Similarity 0.0%

Blend 0.0%

Threshold 0.0%

Cutoff 0.0%

Smoothing None

Mask Only unchecked

Can you try those settings as a test? You can change them back after the test.

I have shot video of this for you, I will convert it and sent it off. Can you view MPEG 2 files?

You'd most likely know if you had a Matrox Video/Capture card. We can probably rule that one out.

You should not need to upgrade to CS4, unless some of its features would be worth it. I'm testing this with PrPro 2.0 on my laptop, so you should get almost everything that I do. You should also NOT need to go to Photoshop for this. Something is odd, as mentioned above.

I have no interest in moving to 4 (dollars and cents are an issue).

Now, most of these questions mainly come from my years with PS, and might have nothing to do with PrPro. Still, these were things that could mess up the Eyedropper in PS.

Do you have Cap Locks ON, or OFF?

Tried both

Do you have a MS InteliPoint mouse driver?

No, Logitech Mouse Here

Are you running Window Blinds?

No

What happens if you Ctrl-click on the Eyedropper button/icon?

The colour becomes about 1/3 the darkness it would normally be - but only sometimes

What happens if you Alt-click on the Eyedropper button/icon?

It detects grays only

What happens if you Shift-click on the Eyedropper button/icon?

It sees gray and white but wont change the blue colour

What is the exact version of CS3 that you're running. Tip: Help>About and look to the middle-left of the splash screen for some black text with something like CS3.0.2.

CS3.0.0 (374)

The video will follow shortly

Kevin

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: PREMIER CS3 - Eyedropper Tool ONLY Sees BLUE
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Could there be an Automatic/Options filter that is turned on that I don't know about?

I suppose that it is possible, but I have no knowledge of anything like that - sorry.

I have shot video of this for you, I will convert it and sent it off. Can you view MPEG 2 files?

Yes. Just attach it to an e-mail to me at info AT huntphoto.com (replace "AT" with @ and close any spaces. I'll Import that into a test Project and see what happens. Make sure to put "Adobe PrPro" in the e-mail's subject, so that MailWasher does not mark it as spam. I have that set to manual, but I need to recognize something in the subject, so I do not delete it accidently.

I'll do what I can, and see how it goes for me. I'm out of town Thurs 06/30 - Sun 06/02, so it might take me a day, or two, next week to get to it.

I'll report back to this thread with my experiences.

Good luck,

Hunt