26 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2009 8:47 PM by FTVteacher

Why does my video playback come back technicolored?

ozkid92 Level 1

So here's an odd hindrance:

After importing video to the timeline, I play it back in the preview area, and it comes out all technicolored-ish.

Reds are green, blues are yellow, blacks are purple, whites are blue.

It's like PP has its colors all confused.

It looks like a blacklight was in the room when I was filming.

When I play the video in Quicktime it looks normal and plays at 640x480, but as you can see below, it's not that big in the monitor area.

messedup.jpg

Also, when the drop down menu under the preview is set to Fit, the video is very small with a thick black boarder around the edges. But then when set to 100% the video is very pixelated.

My computer meets the minimum requirements, so I'm not worried about that.

I've tried it with several different file formats and several different codecs, with several different clips. So it's not the video, its the program.

Anyone ever come across this before, and know how to fix it?

Thanks,

Sam.

• 1. Re: Why does my video playback come back technicolored?
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Anyone ever come across this before,

Quite often.  The problem is usually caused by noobitity.

and know how to fix it?

Premiere Pro is a professional level application.  I generally recommend one get a proper education in video production before attempting to use it.  For those who don't have the desire to dedicate their efforts properly, there are a plethora of consumer editors out there which are often much easier for the untrained to work with.

• 2. Re: Why does my video playback come back technicolored?
            ozkid92 Level 1

Wow. How very unhelpful, Jim. What was the point in replying?

Once again, I am asking for someone to help me solve the problem, not tell me to give up.

That really is no way to aid progression..

• 3. Re: Why does my video playback come back technicolored?
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Read the following link carefully, including the links included and answer the 16 questions at the bottom of the first link.

Some suggestions

• 4. Re: Why does my video playback come back technicolored?
                ozkid92 Level 1

Yeah, I know what you mean. I've been posting on forums for quite some time and unfortunately, all you have to work with is what the poster gives you. So I tried including all I could think of to include. Even a photo so you can see what I'm seeing. And can nobody help me off of that?

Maybe I might as well delete this post and give up since nobody wants to help eachother around here..

Seems to me that everyone here just wants to put you down and tell you you can't do it, so you might as well quit.

I'll wait and see..

• 5. Re: Why does my video playback come back technicolored?
                  Harm Millaard Level 7
                  I'll wait and see..

I'll do the same till you have answered those questions I linked you to. Otherwise it would just be mind reading or wild guesses.

• 6. Re: Why does my video playback come back technicolored?
                    ozkid92 Level 1

Alright Harm, you seem like someone who actually wants to help. So your name is kind of ironic.. haha.

Anyway, I will answer those questions when I find the time. They're kind of a handful (or two) of information to collect and I'm doing this in the little free time I have.

Thanks.

• 7. Re: Why does my video playback come back technicolored?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

There have been similar posts with similar playback results noted.

In each case, IIRC, the culprit has been the source media. When converted, outside of PrPro, most of these issues are cleared up.

Do concentrate heavily on the Source footage aspects of Harm's request. Also, as it could be a display issue (a bit less likely), the system might come into play also.

If it is just a matter of conversion, this LINK will link to some useful articles and also some tools to use.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS Harm is truely trying to help and he's very good at that, with all of the necessary data. You're intuition on his willingness is correct.

• 8. Re: Why does my video playback come back technicolored?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Oops, missed the "black area" part of the question. Again, that is due to a mismatch between your Project/Sequence settings and your source video.

Project setting need to match the source video, but as you'll likely be converting that, wait for that part of the equation, and then do your Project/Sequence settings to match the converted file.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Why does my video playback come back technicolored?
                          ozkid92 Level 1

Here are those 16 questions you wanted, Harm::
                          1. Video Format: MPEG-4 ; Codec ID: mp42
                          2. Premiere Pro
                                   1. CS4 (not sure what more to put for version?)
                                   2. English
                                   3. The 20 or so updates Adobe Updater installed on its own..
                                   4. All default (Windows defaults)
                          3. Operating System
                                   1. Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit
                                   2. Service Pack 1
                                   3. English
                                   4. 1280x800, 32bit colors
                          4. Genuine Intell(R) CPU    T2080 @ 1.73GHZ
                          5. 2.00 GB RAM
                          6. Video card
                                   1. ATI Technologies Inc.
                                   2. ATI Mobility Radeon X1400
                                   3. 8.360.0.0
                          7. 1 Display in use
                          8. Audio card
                                   1. SigmaTel
                                   2. High Definition Audio CODEC (couldnt find anything more specific for Model)
                                   3. 6.10.0.5343
                          9. C: drive - 57.2 GB free of 136 GB
                                   1. Not partitioned.
                          10. Hardware capture device - Not using video from captured device - using downloaded video
                          11. Capture software - "
                          12. No third-party plugins installed.
                          13. No error messages.
                          14. I want to put a video in the timeline and have it come out normally. I'm putting it in the timeline, but it's showing crazy colors.
                          15. It worked before, it showed normally, but recently (a few days ago) it started doing this color thing (see the video).
                          16. I tried a system restore to a point before this problem began, and it did not fix it. I have not changed any settings since I first started using Premiere Pro a few months ago, before the problem started.

Yes, I do realize now that the system requirements say i should have a 2GHz or faster processor, but my friend's computer, which is a 1.73GHz also, is not having this problem. So the problem isn't in the processor speed.

• 10. Re: Why does my video playback come back technicolored?
                            Harm Millaard Level 7

Thanks for giving these details. That is what was needed.

Your source material is unsuitable for editing. MP4 needs to be converted to DV AVI type2. Use Google to find a converter.

With your below requirements spec of your PC this is absolutely crucial. After conversion, use a standard preset for DV AVI.

• 11. Re: Why does my video playback come back technicolored?
                              ozkid92 Level 1

Thank you verrrrry much for resonding wine snob.

That makes sense to me, that it would be in the source video, but the thing is I've tried it with AVI, MPEG4, WMV, MOV, 3GP videos, and all of them do the same thing. Different containers, different codecs, different clips all together, and they all do the same thing. What are the chances that all these videos have problems in the source video and are giving me the same result? Some I'm getting from sites like YouTube, some I'm getting from my phone, some I'm getting from my digital camera, some from Vimeo, etc.

So if it is a problem in the source video, I can't narrow down what that problem is.

• 12. Re: Why does my video playback come back technicolored?
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

You are now on the right track. I strongly encourage you to follow Harm's adivce to convert outside of PrPro.

If you have QT Pro (the US$40 upgrade), it can do exactly what you need. Just load the file into it, and Export, choosing the DV-AVI Type II, with the MS DV CODEC.

I also use DigitalMedia Converter, a US$50 program. For MP4, however, I'd probably bypass it, and just go with QT Pro. You'll likely need a newer copy of QT to make sure that you have the proper CODEC installed. If you do not have the Pro version, I highly recommend it. Note that if you have an older version of QT, say 7.5.5 and upgrade to Pro, that license will carry forward to all versions of QT, until they hit 8.x.x. The current is 7.6.3, IIRC, so it should last for another year, or so.

As for the varied sources, you will be best served to get a good conversion program, download and install just the exact CODEC's that are required, and do batch conversions outside of PrPro. Set a standard, like DV-AVI Type II w/ PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit Audio and convert everything to that. Then, set up your Project to DV NTSC (or PAL), and Import that converted footage.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS I knew there was something else. In regards to your version number of CS4, Help>About. Look in the middle-left of the splash screen for some black type. It'll have something like 4.1.x. That is your version number. With CS4, this has become a bit more critical, than in earlier versions. CS4.1 has made many changes over previous CS4 versions.

Message was edited by: the_wine_snob Added PS

• 13. Re: Why does my video playback come back technicolored?
                                  ozkid92 Level 1

Alright so as Harm said, I went and opened my usual video converter (Free Video Converter by KoyoteSoftware) and converted it to AVI format, "DV Digital Video" codec. And still i have the color problem..

Maybe I'll buy Quicktime Pro and try it, but I really don't want to have to spend money if I don't even know whether or not it will work..

Thanks guys. I'll keep trying different converters and different formats/codecs..

• 14. Re: Why does my video playback come back technicolored?
                                    ozkid92 Level 1

by the way, here's a screenshot of the entire program. as you can see, in the little thumbnail preview on the left where the list of files are, its normal.

Then in the source area, in the center, it's normal.

And the thumbnail frames on the timeline are normal.

But only in that orange outlined box, the Program: Sequence 01 area, is it messed up.

screenshotppro.jpg

• 15. Re: Why does my video playback come back technicolored?
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                                      I went and opened my usual video converter (Free Video Converter by KoyoteSoftware) and converted it to AVI format, "DV Digital Video" codec. And still i have the color problem.

That is disappointing, as the Koyote converter gets really high marks on other boards.

Please let us know how QT Pro works. I use it a bunch with a lot of different CODEC MOV's and also H.264. Has worked fine in all of my cases.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 16. Re: Why does my video playback come back technicolored?
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Out of curiosity, what is the Quality Mode set to for the Program Monitor? If it's set to Auto, try Highest. Also, look at the resolution at 100% to see if that makes any difference.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 17. Re: Why does my video playback come back technicolored?
                                          ozkid92 Level 1

It is set to highest, and 100% doesn't make a difference.

Alright so I shelled out the extra denero for QTPro. I opened the video in it, went File -> Export and chose Movie to AVI using the Default settings.

Aaaaand after Importing the file to PPro........

Nothing. Not only does it not come up in strange colors, but now I only get audio with that new AVI file. The exported AVI file plays just fine when I open it in Quicktime, but when I import it and play it in Premiere, the video is just black but the audio is there.

I'm really thinking I should just go out and buy some other software like Sony or something, if Premiere Pro is that picky about codecs and formats..

I mean I can't even put an AVI file from my digital camera into PPro.

• 18. Re: Why does my video playback come back technicolored?
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                                            Export and chose Movie to AVI using the Default settings

What exactly are those "Default" settings? This is very, very important. You need to Export with the MS DV CODEC to DV-AVI Type II w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV Audio. If PrPro cannot handle that file type/CODEC, then something is horribly wrong with your installation.

Good luck, and be as complete as possible with those Export settings. It almost sounds like you got something like Xvid, or DivX, and not DV-AVI Type II.

Hunt

• 19. Re: Why does my video playback come back technicolored?
                                              ozkid92 Level 1

Uhmm okay so when I'm exporting, I have three dropdown menus. The first is "Save as Type:" which only has one option, All Files (*.*).

The second is "Export", which has the different formats (I set to AVI).

The third is "Use", which has the options: "Default Settings", "1X CD-Rom", "2X CD-Rom" or "Animation"

If I click the Options button, it gives me the AVI settings, then I can click the Settings button under Video, and it gives me a drop-down for Compression type. The options in that menu are "Cinepak", "DV - PAL", "DV/DVCPRO - NTSC", "DVCPRO - PAL", or "None"

The default is Cinepak.

• 20. Re: Why does my video playback come back technicolored?
                                                the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                The options in that menu are "Cinepak", "DV - PAL", "DV/DVCPRO - NTSC", "DVCPRO - PAL", or "None"

Use either the DV/DVCPRO-NTSC, or PAL, depending on where you are located.

The default is Cinepak.

Do NOT use Cinepak. That is likely the problem.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 21. Re: Why does my video playback come back technicolored?