14 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2009 4:17 PM by Jim_Simon

Mixing audio on the Premiere CS3 Timeline.

jujufactory Level 1

I filmed a scene using the external microphone on left channel and the internat microphone on right channel.  Now that the projet is in Premiere CS3, I would like to drop the right channel and replace it with the left channel so as to have the left channel audio on both left and right.  How do I do that?  If it can not be done in Premiere, how do I go about using another software program to do that and get the element back on the timeline?  Finally, what external software should I use?  Is Cubase good enough?  Thank you.

• 1. Re: Mixing audio on the Premiere CS3 Timeline.
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Fill Left.

The manual should be read for things so basic.

• 2. Re: Mixing audio on the Premiere CS3 Timeline.
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Juju,

Welcome back to the "new & improved" Adobe forum.

As Jim points out, Fill-Left, or Fill-Right will do exactly what you want from within PrPro. You could also process your Audio in Audition, or Soundbooth to do the same thing, but unless you need to do other work, on it, PrPro will work just fine. I believe that Cubase work perfectly, as well. Again, if you need to do additional processing to the Audio, it might be easiest to do it all in Cubase, or Audition. Do not know about Cubase, but Audition will quicly rip the Audio from you muxed file (or you can Rt-click the Clip and Edit in Audition [or Soundbooth]) and edit it that way.

Your workflow will dictate which is the easiest for you. For simplicity, Jim's answer will do it and do it quickly.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Mixing audio on the Premiere CS3 Timeline.
              jujufactory Level 1

Are the Fill-Right and Fill-Left functions in the effects menu?  I have a french version of Premiere and I'm not sure where to find it.

• 4. Re: Mixing audio on the Premiere CS3 Timeline.
                Jim_Simon Level 8

Seriously, dude.  Read the manual.

• 5. Re: Mixing audio on the Premiere CS3 Timeline.
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

You will want the Audio Effects>Mono and look for "remplir gauche."

In the Effects Panel, you can type that, and will probably only need a couple of letters. PrPro will go and find that Effect, regardless of where it resides.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Mixing audio on the Premiere CS3 Timeline.
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

BTW, for Fill Right, you'll want "remplir droit," but you're probably way ahead of me on this. Also, by typing in the terms, you'll likely see them both pop up.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Mixing audio on the Premiere CS3 Timeline.
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

Aww, Bill.   Here I am trying to teach someone to fish and you go and just give 'em one.

• 8. Re: Mixing audio on the Premiere CS3 Timeline.
                        jujufactory Level 1

Thank you Hunt.  I donwloaded Premiere so I never received a manual.  Beyond that it is quite frustrating to have to go fishing in a manual when one is on a deadline.  I think people who tell you to read the manual are not a great help and are quite annoying.

This leads me to the follow up question:  If I want to do sound editing and mixing in another software program, do I export audio in 16bit 48mhz wav?  That is what I have been doing in the past but going back and forth in this format may lose quality... or does it?  The scenes are filmed with XD CAM EX Full HD.

• 9. Re: Mixing audio on the Premiere CS3 Timeline.
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

Now I have to look up "fishing" in my English to French dictionary...

Hunt

• 10. Re: Mixing audio on the Premiere CS3 Timeline.
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree with trying to find things in a manual, when a deadline looms. However, I do fully support what Jim says. I'm a book-guy, so I love reading my manuals, and appreciate the detail that Adobe goes into. The are sticking "for info, see the Help files... " in too much lately, but that's just me.

Now, there is a .PDF in your root Adobe/PrPro folder, that is the manual. 'Cause I'm old, I like things in printed form, so I can take 'em to the bathroom, or fly long hours with them. My laptop is a "luggable," so I seldom fly with it, hence the .PDF isn't available to me, SFO to LHR..

I read the manual through one time, before I ever launched the program. Still, Jim always points out things that I missed with two more readings later on!

BTW, Adobe does sell the manuals. One of my suite upgrades, think it was CS2, did not ship with them, so for US$60 I got the full set. Though I had 'em for the previous version, there were enough changes that I thought the $'s were well spent.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Mixing audio on the Premiere CS3 Timeline.
                              the_wine_snob Level 9
                              If I want to do sound editing and mixing in another software program, do I export audio in 16bit 48mhz wav?  That is what I have been doing in the past but going back and forth in this format may lose quality... or does it?

PCM/WAV is uncompressed. It loses nothing in Export/Import. Keeping the bit-rate and sample-depth constant is the way to go. All you are doing is making a copy of 1's and 0's, with no degredation through compression.  I'd say that you are doing it correctly.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Mixing audio on the Premiere CS3 Timeline.
                                lanstrad Level 1

In my view, if you have Cubase (or any pro audio software : Pro Tools, Sonar, Cubase, Audition), you better mix everything right there the way you want it to sound, then import a final mix in Premiere (24bit).  You will (in my view) simplify your life if you already master your audio software.

Rob

• 13. Re: Mixing audio on the Premiere CS3 Timeline.
                                  Allen W. Level 1

>>Now, there is a .PDF in your root Adobe/PrPro folder, that is the manual.<<

Um. . . NO. I looked in both the program folders and those under My Documents. No manual. Not unless you're referring to the eight page ReadMe file as a manual.

So for those who say RTFM, I say to Adobe: PTFM!

By the by, I tried both Fill Left & Fill Right to no avail. However, mine is a bit different. I'm using CS4 & I merely replaced the on-camera audio with a mono track separately recorded digitally. PrPro put it in the left channel but I need it balanced. It won't let me.

--Allen

• 14. Re: Mixing audio on the Premiere CS3 Timeline.
                                    Jim_Simon Level 8

So for those who say RTFM, I say to Adobe: PTFM!

Man, I second that.  I miss those printed manuals included withe the software.

At the very least, Adobe needs to revert back to the local Help file system.  This new online Help system really sucks.