9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2009 9:55 AM by the_wine_snob

Reinstall Cs4 Trial?

jameswaleswales

I am forced to wipe my Mac due to some clogging.

My Cs4 Adobe Premier & After Effects trials expired a month ago. If I was to wipe my Mac would it be possible to reinstall and star a new trial?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Reinstall Cs4 Trial?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

No. You have to get the full version.

• 2. Re: Reinstall Cs4 Trial?
            Jim_Simon Level 8

Any attempt to reinstall the trial would result in a lockup of the computer.  You wouldn't lose any data, per se, but you'd probably have to take the hard drive to another computer that could read it in order to get the data off, after which you'd end up doing yet a third wipe and reinstall just to get it working again.

• 3. Re: Reinstall Cs4 Trial?
              jameswaleswales Level 1

So I couldn't install a fresh trial even with a newly restored hard disk?

If I wipe the Mac via the offical method, how does it know that a trial existed on it before?

• 4. Re: Reinstall Cs4 Trial?
                Jim_Simon Level 8

Adobe has not yet released any white papers on their anti-piracy technology.  Probably to discourage hackers from trying to circumvent it.  The short answer is that we just don't know how Adobe manages to accomplish the task.  But user reports abound of trying to wipe and reinstall.  It's not a pretty picture.

If you need to wipe, go ahead.  Just don't try and reinstall without a legitimate, paid for serial number.

• 5. Re: Reinstall Cs4 Trial?
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

You still haven't made up your mind after 30 days whether you want to use it? That is your bad luck, teaches you to decide quicker. Get the full version or use other software.

• 6. Re: Reinstall Cs4 Trial?
                    jameswaleswales Level 1

Would it be a legit purchase from here:

http://tordesoft.com/glos/?char=a

?

• 7. Re: Reinstall Cs4 Trial?
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Forget it.

• 8. Re: Reinstall Cs4 Trial?
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

Probably not, no.  Adobe software seems to be pretty price consistent among legitimate retailers.  Discounts like that are a pretty sure sign of fakery or illegality.

• 9. Re: Reinstall Cs4 Trial?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

As has been stated, once the trial has expired, that is it. The only other option would be to put it onto another computer, that has never had the trials installed before.

Now, if you do go with the full-paid version, there is one thing to think about, unless you do wipe your HDD - you will want to run the Adobe CS4 CleanScript a couple of times. I do not know if there is a separate one for AE, but I would check.

If you do wipe, the CleanScript will not be necessary, as everything Adobe (except the anti-piracy aspests) will be removed.

Especially if you are considering availing yourself of the 30-day, money back policy, I'd recommend keeping it simple and easy, and buying from the Adobe Store. You might be able to get a very slightly better deal on Amazon, or similar, but then there will likely be a bit more paperwork, should you wish to make a return. Adobe makes that part very easy for you.

Also, if you find a price that is much better than about US$20, it is most likely cracked software, if it even exists at all. Besides the legality of using that stuff, you run a very high risk of having all sorts of "goodies" installed along with it. Do not fall into the trap of thinking that Mac's are impervious to malicious software - it's just the install-base is too small for most evil-doers to bother writing code for. Some of the stuff in the cracked software can attack any OS/platform.

Good luck,

Hunt