15 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2009 8:11 AM by the_wine_snob

mod converted problems

Lawrence_Cramer Level 4

Hi all,

I'm stumped. I have a JVC  everio HD video, it records to .MOD format which Premier doesn't support. The problem is I'm useing the CyberLink app that comes with the camera to TRY to save it out as some other format that Premier will import. I've tried AVI, MEPG, MEPG2 in several different resolutions all to no avail. All I get, no matter what I've tried so far is - "File Import Failure" "Error Message, Unsupported format or damaged file"

The thing is the files work fine in Windows Media, they upload to YouTube fine... It seems that everything else can read them. But not Premier. This is new ground for me so any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

--
      Lawrence   *Adobe Community Expert*
      www.Cartweaver.com
      Complete Shopping Cart Application for
      Dreamweaver, available in ASP, PHP and CF
      www.twitter.com/LawrenceCramer

• 1. Re: mod converted problems
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Search for MOD files. Numerous posts about that topic.

• 2. Re: mod converted problems
            sah1510 Level 1

I too had this problem. Here is what I do:

1. Connect the camera to the computer and access the camera's hard drive in windows explorer (through 'My Computer').

2. Copy the .MOD files that you need from your camera to your computer or an external hard drive.

3. Use a small program called SDCopy.

This will change the file extension to .M2v and allow it to be opened in Premiere. Note that you should tick the 'Widescreen 16:9' option if you filmed in widescreen. But we aren't done yet. As the JVC Everio uses the AC3 audio codec, you will need to ensure Premiere can read this codec. If you have Adobe Encore installed then see this quote from another forum:

"Encore CS3 is now able to import AC3 files...
            This is due to a particular DLL file : ad2ac3dec.dll (found in Encore CS3 folder)

Just copying it in the Premiere CS3 folder (root) now simply allow AC3 import

This is the same for CS4 as well as CS3. Just copy the as2ac3dec.dll file from the Encore root directory to the Premiere root directory. If you don't have Encore installed, then you can download this file here. (Do so at your own risk.) The file can also be found on multiple websites, just google it!

Hope this helps. Just start premire, import, and edit!

Regards,

S.

• 3. Re: mod converted problems
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Buy a different camera.  If editing is the goal, I recommend either a MiniDV for standard definition, or DVCPRO HD for high definition.

• 4. Re: mod converted problems
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Lawrence,

I see that you got this moved. You can ignore my PM.

You're almost there. CyberLink Power Director (assume that is the program that you have), will Export to DV-AVI Type II files w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV Audio, using the MS DV CODEC. This will be the native editing format for PrPro. I use the CyberLink program for conversions for PrPro all of the time, though no JVC MOD files yet.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS if any of my Web sites needs a shopping cart, I now know who to go to!

• 5. Re: mod converted problems
                  Lawrence_Cramer Level 4

Hunt,

Thanks for the response.  I had gotten this far before, but ran into a snag.  The video imports without error or crashing PrPro, and the icon shows up with a thumbnail of the first frame, which is progress, but when I try to play it to preview the video, only the audio works. The video is blank/black.

Is there any other setting that I may be missing?

Thanks for the help!!!

--
                  www.Cartweaver.com

• 6. Re: mod converted problems
                    Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If the audio contains ac3 you should install an ac3 filter codec.

If it dolby digital you need to upgrade Premiere to 4.1 (earlier version has a bug concering audio)

• 7. Re: mod converted problems
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Lawrence,

I've not used CyberLink Power Director with any of the JVC .MOD files. With a handful of other sources, it did a really good job converting to DV-AVI Type II's and PrPro was happy to edit the results.

There is a discussion thread on .MOD and .TOD files, that might discuss the problem that you are seeing. I looked, when I sent you the PM, but did not find it. Let be dig around a bit more.

Also, Ann's advice on the Audio is a good one, if it applies to your files. I know that she has done some work with MOD's and TOD's. I do not know whether she worked on problems for others, or actually shot some of that footage.

Be back in a bit, and we'll see if I can offer some more info.

Hunt

• 8. Re: mod converted problems
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

OK,

Here's the ARTICLE, and it contains a link to an ARTICLE posted by Ann. Maybe something of use in that.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: mod converted problems

Hi Hunt,

just for the record i do not own a mod/tod camera, i just did some testing.

• 10. Re: mod converted problems
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Ann,

Thanks for that clarification. It seemed that you were just helping someone else out, with your TOD/MOD research. Still, you were the one, who brought that particular link to my attention, so attribution of MY source was important to me - you found it, you showed me, so you get the credit!

Since the JVC cameras come up a lot in the PrElements forum, I posted your link over there, where I thought it would do the most good.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 11. Re: mod converted problems

-deleted-

• 12. Re: mod converted problems
                                Lawrence_Cramer Level 4

I sure appreciate the help.  I'm beginning to think that Premier Pro and my system don't get along well.  It should be ok, I have a brand new Dell Studio 1737 with 4 gigs of Ram, a Core2 Duo p8600 2.40Ghz, and Windows Vista 64 (which may be the problem, I don't know) but I can't imagine that PrPro is normally THIS buggy.  I've yet to bring in a video that hasn't either been rejected, caused a total crash, was missing video, or the video rendered really strange - very weird colors... sot of a "my video on acid" look.

I tried all the tips you folks wew kind enough to share and as close as I got was the video cam in, actually looked good in the edit window, I drug it own to the timeline, then when I tried to preview it the "acid trip" video dispayed. Then when I tried to stop it or delet it Premier crashed!

The odd thing is, I downloaded Premier Elements and can use it no problem! I still have to convert the MOD videos, but from there on everything looks good.  Any Ideas of what the problem may be?

Thank you.

--
                                www.Cartweaver.com

• 13. Re: mod converted problems
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Lawrence,

As for your "color on acid," Rt-click on your Program Monitor and look under Quality. If on Auto, set to Highest. Let us know if that helps.

Otherwise, tell your client that this is the "hottest" look in video right now, and charge them more for it!

Now to PE. It does have a more lenient attitude, than does its big-brother, PrPro. I use it as a tool on my laptop to handle and convert file formats/CODEC's for use in PrPro. I find that there is little that I'd rather do in PE, than in PrPro, but its handling of some formats does beat PrPro. I Import into it, then Export (DV-AVI Type II for my SD material), and then Import that into PrPro to edit.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: mod converted problems
                                    Lawrence_Cramer Level 4

Thanks a ton for all your help. I'm starting to come to the conclusion that PrPro, and my laptop are not going to be a working combination... Very disappointing.  I was able to get the videos into PrPro, but they still aren't rendering properly (looking like a faded Obama campain poster) and changing the quality setting doesn't change that and trying to do anything with the video soon leads to a PrPro lockup / "Program not responding" and then a crash.

As a last effort I'm going to try unplugging my second monitor from my laptop and see Video card / driver/ ram may be the issue, but even if this fixes the problem, it's not really a workable solution.  I'm going to install PrPro on another workstation and see if things work there. For my laptop I think Pr Elements will be the way to go.

I'll let you know how it goes, and again thanks for all the help.

--
                                    www.Cartweaver.com

• 15. Re: mod converted problems
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, the Quaity setting was a shot in the dark. Another poster is having the same weird color results as you, but from different source files. It did not help him either. To have two similar results, with different source footage, and on different types of machines, makes me wonder - phases of the Moon?

PE does require fewer resources, than does PrPro, though more than some other consumer editing apps. However, it might be able to sneak in under the wire for you. I would strongly recommend going to the PE FAQ's and looking at some of the articles by Steve Grisetti on optimizing one's computer for PE. His tips carry over to doing the same for PrPro, as well.

Sorry that I could not be of more help,

Hunt