5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2009 12:41 PM by the_wine_snob

automatically insert date subtitle

eric brewer

Hello,

Does anyone know of a way for premiere elements 7 to automatically insert the date from an mpeg clip as a subtitle.  I've been doing it manually and for 100 clips in a timeline, it is very time consuming for home videos.

Thanks, Eric

PS: the clips are mpegs from a sony sr100 harddrive camcorder.

• 1. Re: automatically insert date subtitle
          the_wine_snob Level 9

PE cannot do this automatically.

There is a program DVDate, that can extract the date from the TimeCode. However, it works with SD material, and if you have MPEG, it's likely that you are using HD material.

Now, if you have the date data, the easiest way to get it into the Video is to create Lower-thirds Titles and just add the date. You can create one Title and use it as the Template for all Titles in the Project, then create a separate Title (very important) for each date, and extend the Duration of each Title to cover the Clips in need of dates.

There are many more posts where one's video camera actually imprinted the date/time stamp, and they want to remove that in editing. Now, that is a challange.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS even PE's big brother, PrPro, cannot do this, though it can add a TimeCode counter to the footage, but that is based on the Timeline's TimeCode. Even AfterEffects cannot do exactly what you want, and it's the top Effects and compositing program in the business. I'm sure that someone, somewhere, is working on an application that will extract the metadata in the video and do what you want for both SD and HD material. I just do not know of one for HD footage.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: automatically insert date subtitle
            eric brewer Level 1

Wine snob, Thanks for the very informative answer.  I am doing the exact process you describe, but I just don't have time to keep up with the kids.  My clips are SD mpegs, btw.  The filename incorporates the date, so I don't have trouble finding the date.

Eric

• 3. Re: automatically insert date subtitle
              the_wine_snob Level 9

For SD, I'd give DVDate a try. There are two programs with the same name, or very, very similar. One is shareware and the other is freeware from a Russian author. I have the shareware version, but many say that the freeware program is great - you just have to download it from a Russian site, and that scares a lot of people. I'd check TuCow's and see if they might have both, with a "safer" link to the freeware program.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: automatically insert date subtitle
                Paul_LS Level 4

Unfortunately the Russian DVDate plugin for Premiere is not free... costs $19 if I recall.

• 5. Re: automatically insert date subtitle
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Paul_LS,

Thanks. I knew that one was free and one was shareware. I just could not recall which was which.

Hunt