10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2009 2:55 PM by the_wine_snob

Trimming audio in trim window

RedHouseRon

Hi. First time asking question but refer to forums a lot.

Is there a way to hear audio when scrubbing/jogging in trim window? Many times my edit point is audio driven, not video driven, e.g., interviews, pick up points in narration etc. I have been using PPro for 3-4 years and have yet to see how to do this. Trimming with Avid is very simple and I'd like to be able to trim as easily in PPro. I'm using CS4, Windows XP SP3, dual Opteron CPUs, 4GB  ram, RAID0 media disk.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Trimming audio in trim window
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Unless it's changed, go to Edit>Preferences>Audio and check "Play Audio While Scrubbing." Works fine in the Source Monitor for me.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS welcome to the forum.

• 2. Re: Trimming audio in trim window
            RedHouseRon Level 1

Thanks for the hint, although I already knew that preference setting. I

guess I wasn't clear that I meant the trim tool window, not the source

monitor.

RedHouseRon

• 3. Re: Trimming audio in trim window
              Jim_Simon Level 8

I haven't tried it in CS4 yet, but audio in the trim window has always worked fine for me in previous versions.

• 4. Re: Trimming audio in trim window
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Ron,

I meant the trim tool window, not the source monitor.

I'm sorry, but you have lost me on that one. Most folk use the Source Monitor (not the Program Monitor) to set their In & Out Points, i.e. Trim the Clip. Can you be a bit more specific on exactly where you're working? I'm just not familiar with the "trim tool window."

Good luck,

Hunt

[Edit] Never mind. I understand where you are, and what you want. Sorry for my confusion. I'm not sure that you can get Audio there.

Message was edited by: the_wine_snob added [Edit]

• 5. Re: Trimming audio in trim window
                  Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The only option for hearing the audio in the trimwindow is Play Edit .

• 6. Re: Trimming audio in trim window
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

What other option would one need?  You're there to "trim" - take off just a few frames here or there.  You do your trimming, you play the edit, you hear the audio.  Is the OP expecting something else?

• 7. Re: Trimming audio in trim window
                      RedHouseRon Level 1

Thanks. You seem to be the only one who actually understands my question

and apparently the answer is "No, it's not possible." Fair enough. But

just to be sure others understand let me restate the issue a slightly

different way:

I have an edit point in the timeline. Assuming I want to "tweak" the

edit a bit, I hit "T" on the keyboard to open the trim window. There I

can jog the endpoint of the out-going clip, the inpoint of the incoming

clip, or both as a rolling edit. When I do any of these things, I can

see the video moving in both the outgoing and incoming trim monitors so

that I might better match, say, a head position or eyelid blink.

Sometimes, however, I want to tweak the audio edit point in the same way

but I can't hear the audio as I jog. The only way I have found to use

the trim monitor for audio is to move the edit point a frame or two or

three and hit "play edit" and then, if it's not right yet, jog it a bit

more and again play edit.

Apparently Ann is correct that this is the only way to hear audio. If

that's the case, then so be it -- albeit very inefficient. My question

is answered. I like PPro for many reasons; I guess this is not one of them.

• 8. Re: Trimming audio in trim window
                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                        The only way I have found to use the trim monitor for audio is to move the edit point a frame or two or three and hit "play edit" and then, if it's not right yet, jog it a bit more and again play edit.

I'm not aware of any other possible way, audio being without separate 'frames' one might 'listen' to, instead requiring constant playback for best results.

• 9. Re: Trimming audio in trim window
                          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

How about editing on the timeline with the audio units on?

• 10. Re: Trimming audio in trim window
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Ann,

That is basically how I do it - with both the horizontal and vertical zooms in quite a ways in. Now, I know that I am trimming to the frame, but it still works fine for me. Getting to 1/30 of a sec. is accurate enough for me.  I'll often add Markers, as I listen, make my Trim and then delete the Markers. The Waveform Display is close enough to give me most of the visual clues that I am looking for, and a bit of listening will refine things a bit.

It's been so long since I've even used Ctrl-t, that I go lost when the OP was mentioning it.

Hunt