11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2009 11:35 AM by tieuellegacy

HDV out of sync

Jack Banatoni Level 1

Hello,

I'm having significant sync issues with HDV footage shot on a JVC GY-HD200U.  If I shoot on 720p24 or 720p60, it's out of sync from the start of the clip.  If I shoot on 720p30, it stays in sync and gets more out of sync over time.  I opened the clips in Windows Media Player and they play fine.  This leads me to believe something is getting off sync in Premiere.  Does anyone know why it's doing this?  Would running my clips through HDVSplit accomplish anything?  Does that lower quality at all?  I captured footage in Premiere and have used the appropriate sequence settings.

I'd prefer not to recapture, but I'll do whatever would have the best results.

System specs:
      Production Premium CS4
      Quicktime 7.5.5
      Vista Ultimate 64
      AMD Phenom 9950 quad-core 2.6GHz
      8GB RAM
      1TB and 1.5TB SATA drives
      ATI 4870

Thanks in advance!

JB

• 1. Re: HDV out of sync
          Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

This is a long shot but try upgrading to Quicktime 7.6, I remember long time ago I had some problems until I upgraded but do not remember the symptoms.

• 2. Re: HDV out of sync
            Harm Millaard Level 7

I would definitely use HDVSplit. Since it is only digital transfer of data, there is no quality loss, only gains, scene detection, preview, no OOS and freeware.

• 3. Re: HDV out of sync
              tieuellegacy

I'm having the same problem with the same software and camera.  Are there any other fixes outside of HDV?  I notice that interpretting footage as 24 fps helps in certain areas but, of course, it falls out of sync in others again.

Tieuel Legacy! aka Shawnre'

• 4. Re: HDV out of sync
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                Are there any other fixes outside of HDV?

Do you mean besides HDVSplit? That utility (freeware) just does a great job. Yes, it's a job that PrPro should do, but so far it is the "cure" for many ills.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: HDV out of sync
                  Jack Banatoni Level 1

Tieuel Legacy,

Did HDVSplit work for you?  I've been having mixed results.  With some tapes, it captured fine with no problems and imported in to Premiere.  Other tapes, the timecode gets glitched (no timecode breaks on tape) and won't import.  Clips will get stuck conforming.  When playing the clips back in Windows Media Player, the timecode will indicate it's only a few minutes, but the whole tape looks like it captured.

HDVSplit is about as frustrating as Premiere not properly capturing HDV... except it was free.

• 6. Re: HDV out of sync
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Make sure that scene detection is on.

• 7. Re: HDV out of sync
                      tieuellegacy Level 1

Hey,

I didn't try HDVSplit.  When I read about the program, I thought that it was suitable for Sony only.  I'll go back to check that out.

For the time being, I identified the clips that were out of sync and I moved each audio track over 4 frames.  Initially, I interpretted the files at 24fps instead of 23.9... but that doesn't correct the problem if you clip goes out of sync exponentially.

My HP has a Cyberlink PowerDirector software that I wanted to try but I didn't want to pay for another program without knowing if it works.  I have the basic version but you can upgrade to HDV.  Maybe that will be beneficial for capture.  Anyone used it before?

Again I have the JVC GY 200UB and

an HP Pavilion dv7

6mb

ATI Radeon

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU q9000 2.0 Ghz

Prior to purchase and as of late, I've read about the 3.4ghz req for HDV.  I get mixed comments on whether a 2 Quad processor handles HDV well in that situation.  Can this be what is creating so many problems?  3.4 seems to be quite high even for a desktop.

Tieuel Legacy! Motion Pictures

• 8. Re: HDV out of sync
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Cyberlink is of no use with PR. HDVSplit is free and works with all HDV cameras. Your CPU is OK for HDV. The 3.4 clock frequency relates to the old P4.

• 9. Re: HDV out of sync
                          tieuellegacy Level 1

Harm,

PowerDirector has a capture function.  I figure that it might be useful to capture MPEGS there and edit in Premiere.  I'll check out the HDVSplit.

Tieuel Legacy! Motion Pictures

• 10. Re: HDV out of sync
                            Harm Millaard Level 7

Try it and post back about all your problems. BTW, WMM also has a capture function and is free and does not work with PR. You seem like the guy to try it out and then come back when you have problems.

One warning in advance: Don't ever install a codec pack or FFDShow, unless you want to start from a completely formatted disk and reinstall OS and programs.

• 11. Re: HDV out of sync
                              tieuellegacy Level 1

Good info.  I've seen references to FFDShow but never thought about trying it.  I like the encoder on CS4.

I thought about Windows Movie Maker as well but I didn't try it.  For some reason, I'm thinking that it needed an upgrade as well.

I'll try the HDVSplit pretty soon.

Thanks for all of the assistance and thoughts.

Tieuel Legacy!