15 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2009 8:18 AM by the_wine_snob

Premiere CS4 playback help...

Daimeion D. Level 1

I just got Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 and I noticed that the program has a lot of trouble playingback my videos, whether it's .avi, .wmv, .m2ts(AVCHD).The videos lag a lot and it's just as bad even when they are rendered.

I have all the presets set correctly and I'm sure my specs matches. Sometimes I get a message saying that premiere is running low on memory, but that can't be the case, since the requirements indecate that I only need 2G Ram and I have 4G Ram.

My specs:

OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium
      Version 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1 Build 6001
      Other OS Description  Not Available
      OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
      System Manufacturer Acer
      System Model Aspire M5100
      System Type X86-based PC
      Processor AMD Phenom(tm) 9500 Quad-Core Processor, 2200 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
      BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD R02-B3, 21/03/2008
      SMBIOS Version 2.5
      Windows Directory C:\Windows
      System Directory C:\Windows\system32
      Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
      Locale Canada
      Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6001.18000"
      User Name Daimeion-PC\Daimeion
      Time Zone Pacific Daylight Time
      Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
      Total Physical Memory 3.25 GB
      Available Physical Memory 1.88 GB
      Total Virtual Memory 6.73 GB
      Available Virtual Memory 5.14 GB

• 1. Re: Premiere CS4 playback help...
          the_wine_snob Level 9

What I do not see is the I/O sub-system info, i.e. your physical HDD's, their size, speed, controller type and how allocated.

Playback is often more dependent on this, than on CPU, though AVCHD does stress the CPU. Still, it appears that you have that part handled with the AMD.

Good luck, and please tell us about your HDD's,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Premiere CS4 playback help...
            Daimeion D. Level 1

My HDD:

C: Drive

183GB space free

228GB Total Size

D: Drive

29.5GB space free

228GB Total Size

I'm sorry, but I don't know what you mean by their, speed, controller type and how allocated, or how to get that info.

• 3. Re: Premiere CS4 playback help...
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              I'm sorry, but I don't know what you mean by their, speed, controller type and how allocated, or how to get that info.

OK, we've got a good start. Let me try to step you though the rest:

For "speed," I'm asking for the speed of the HDD's in RPM. Chances are likely they are 5400RPM, or 7200RPM. It could also be that they are 10000RPM, though that might be most likely for only your C:\.

Controller type refers to how the HDD's are connected to the MoBo, i.e. SATA II, ATA-100, etc. This data should be readily available via Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager>Disk drives. Then go to Details.

The "how allocated," refers to how you and Windows are using the HDD's. An example would be:

C:\OS, programs and Windows' Virtual Memory (Page File), D:\media, PrPro Project and all Scratch Disks. While you are at this, check the Windows' Memory Management to, to tell us whether your Page File is static (set size and location), or is dynamic (Windows sets this, as is needed).

I am assuming that both your C:\ and your D:\ are each physical HDD's and are not logical drives, i.e. partitioned, and that they are both internal, and that D:\ is not an external. Is that correct?

The first thing that I see is that D:\ is getting very, very full. Depending on your answers to the above, that might play a bit of a roll in the equation.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Premiere CS4 playback help...
                Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

I just looked at the specs for your computer and unless I am wrong you have one 500 GB hard drive with two partitons.  This is unacceptable for Premiere CS4.

As Hunt has said your D:  drive partition is way to full, I would guess that you cannot even defragment it and playing back video from such a drive in that condition and worse yet just a partition on a single drive will cause major playback problems.

Get yourself at least one (preferable two) more drives and install it in the computer (there are two empty slots for disk drives).

• 5. Re: Premiere CS4 playback help...
                  Daimeion D. Level 1

SPEED:
                  7,200 RPM
                  Couldn't find it so I got my model number, googled it.

CONTROLLER TYPE
                  I went to:
                  Control Panel/System and Maintenance/Device Manager/Disk drives
                  I didn't see my drives there and they had no decription:
                  Generic Compact Flash USB Device
                  Generic MS/MS pro USB Device
                  Generic SD/MMC USB Device
                  Generic S/MxD Picture USB Device
                  ST3500820AS ATA DEvice

Virtual Memeory:
                  Total paging file size for all drives: 3626MB

Both of my HDD are internal. I really doubt that my D: drive affects the program since it's installed in the C: drive

I'm kind of new to all this and having a had time finding the the info on whether my Page File is static or dynamic and the other stuff. My Vista directory is a bit different and you be a bit more specific on the directories?

• 6. Re: Premiere CS4 playback help...
                    Curt Wrigley Level 4

Daimeion D. wrote:

I really doubt that my D: drive affects the program since it's installed in the C: drive

This is a problem (if i am reading thids correctly).  Your program drive and video drive need to be separate drives.  Partintioning a single drive into 2 is not helpful.

Even once you properly setup your system, AVCHD video is difficult to edit smoothly except on the fastest of systems.

• 7. Re: Premiere CS4 playback help...
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

I still do not see that you have two physical drives, C:\ and D:\. Are these partitions of one physical HDD? If so, then you I/O sub-system (the HDD's) will be your problem. A partitioned drive is actuall worse that 2 smaller, filled single physical HDD's.

More physical HDD's will improve things a ton.

Hunt

• 8. Re: Premiere CS4 playback help...
                        Daimeion D. Level 1

I'm think it's one whole drive that was originally 500Gig, according to OS specs. It's not just AVCHD files that are lagging, it's other files like; .wmv, .avi, ect. I also get a red X on the bottom left hand side corner that says: video cannot be updated, or something like that.

• 9. Re: Premiere CS4 playback help...
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

If that is the case, it will be your bottleneck. Partitions are bad from almost every performance standard.

More physical HDD's and proper allocation will help you, more than you can imagine.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Premiere CS4 playback help...
                            Harm Millaard Level 7

Apart from the partitioning of a sigle disk, that others have correctly identified as a major bottleneck, there is a second bottleneck: Your partitioned D drive is around 85-90% full, making it extremely slow. It crawls to a halt during use.

Get an Express card to eSATA connector with 2 eSATA ports and you can add two eSATA drives to your system. That will remove these bottlenecks.

• 11. Re: Premiere CS4 playback help...
                              Daimeion D. Level 1

I must say though, I had Premiere CS3 with the same disk space and everything was running smoothly with the exception that I wasn't able to edit AVCHD files. So shouldn't CS4 be able to play my non-AVCHD files and function/run just like CS3? Does each version(just the program) require more/less power to run?

• 12. Re: Premiere CS4 playback help...
                                Harm Millaard Level 7

Each new version requires more power. This has been the case from the first PC's running MS-DOS. OS's require better specs with each new version, as do applications. The demise of assembly programming and the increasing use of C and other compiled languages started the trend. Just look at the footprint of modern programs, often way more than 10 GB (Adobe CS4 MC takes nearly 20 GB).

• 13. Re: Premiere CS4 playback help...
                                  Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Get an Express card to eSATA connector with 2 eSATA ports and you can add two eSATA drives to your system. That will remove these bottlenecks.

Harm since this is a desktop computer without an express card slot found basically only in laptops I guess you meant a PCIe/eSATA card.  Checking the specs on this computer he does have two empty 3.5" disk drive bays internally.  Therefore my suggestion of buying two internal drives an installing them internally is much less expensive than using external drives and another card.

• 14. Re: Premiere CS4 playback help...
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree. If the OP has slots available, a controller that can handle up to 3 physical discs and an adequate power supply, all that would be required would be the 2 additonal HDD's, and maybe a new cable with 3-4 connectors on it. Install, run Setup for the BIOS, then use Disk Management to set these up for the OS, reallocate tasks, and edit.

Hunt

• 15. Re: Premiere CS4 playback help...
                                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Bill,

My mistake, I automatically thought an Acer Aspire to be a notebook. But you are correct if it is a desktop and ther is still room internally, that is the way to go.