6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2009 7:22 AM by the_wine_snob

How to apply effect to a certain time frame?

Johnny Sac Level 1

Hello everyone,

I was just wondering how can I apply an effect to a full avchd file, but specify what time frame it will effect?

Say if I want the video to be black and white for the first 5 seconds and then transition from that black and white into color how do I actually do that?

Do I need to split the video up into pieces and apply the efect to each piece? How do I split the full video into smaller sections in Premiere Pro if so?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: How to apply effect to a certain time frame?
          Curt Wrigley Level 4

Apply the effect to the whole clip and add a keyframe or two to the effect.  At each keyframe you can adjust parameters of the effect.

Rather than using the BW filter which is just On or Off, I suggest using Fast Color Corrector and keyframing the Saturation value.  Thi will allow the clip to gradually change from color to BW if you wish.

• 2. Re: How to apply effect to a certain time frame?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

As Curt mentions, a bit will depend on the actual Effect. Some are ON/OFF, and cannot be Keyframed in the normal sense.

Still, you can use the Razor to cut the Clip and then apply an ON/OFF Effect to the second part of the Clip. Add a Cross-dissolve Transition to "ease into" the Effect, and do the same for the end of it. This takes care of those Effects, that are only ON/OFF.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: How to apply effect to a certain time frame?
              Johnny Sac Level 1

Thanks for the reply Curt, I clicked "Add keyframe" in the sequence window, but how do I add the effect to that keyframe? When I go into the effects panel I can see the keyframe dot but it is situated in the "Opacity" option.

• 4. Re: How to apply effect to a certain time frame?
                Curt Wrigley Level 4

Add the effect to the clip first.  Then in the Effects control panel add a keyframe to the parameter of The Effect you want to control over time.

• 5. Re: How to apply effect to a certain time frame?
                  Johnny Sac Level 1

Okay I see now, thanks for the help I am quite new to CS4, I didn't know what the razor tool was... lol

Is there a way to customize the cross dissolve at all? It seems a bit basic. Or are there any cool techniques you suggest I do with the cross dissolve?

I just used the razor tool and added the "replicate" effect to about 10 seconds of the clip with the cross dissolve in and out of that 10 seconds, looks pretty cool

Is there anything else I should try?

Thanks.

• 6. Re: How to apply effect to a certain time frame?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    Is there a way to customize the cross dissolve at all? It seems a bit basic. Or are there any cool techniques you suggest I do with the cross dissolve?

You can adjust the Duration of the Cross-dissolve. In the stated case, you are trying to add an Effect to only part of the Clip. The reason for the Cross-dissolve is to ease the viewer into the Effect, so you want the Cross-dissolve to be essentially invisible.

Even with Transitions that are not "easing" the audience into an Effect, I usually keep it very simple. Butt-cut, Dip-to-Black and Cross-dissolve are what I use 99% of the time. Most of the rest have never been used, with perhaps an exception for Titles and their animation.

The Keyframing can allow for this too. A good, simple approace would be to go to the Effects Control Panel (where you added your Keyframes), and Rt-click on the first one, choosing Ease-Out from the flyout menu. You'll notice that the graph of your Keyframes now looks different, as does the icon for the Keyframe. Go to the next Keyframe, Rt-click and choose Ease-in. Notice the changes to both that icon and also to the graph. If you look closely, you will see that on the graph, each Keyframe now has a pair of "handles." You can click and drag on the point on these handles to alter the velocity of the Ease-Out/Ease-In functions. Note: there are many more ways to alter the velocity, but this is a simple starter example.

Good luck,

Hunt