10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2009 1:52 AM by Mylenium

Can't import .m2t files

nicknameforme Level 1

I read that .m2t files can be imported into After Effects CS4, but I keep getting an ‘unsupported format’ error.  According to Help, .m2t is fully supported. These are files captured with HDVSplit of my Sony Handycam.

• 1. Re: Can't import .m2t files
          Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

Are you using a trial version?

Support for some formats (HDV, XDCAM, AVCHD, etc) is not included in the trial, because of licensing issues with third party technologies.

They are fully supported once you enter a retail serial number.

• 2. Re: Can't import .m2t files
            nicknameforme Level 1

nope, Not a trial.  I think mpeg 2 is installed since it's an

available option when choosing options in the render queue

• 3. Re: Can't import .m2t files

It's possible then that the utility you're using to capture the files is wrapping them in non-compliant file containers.

HDV/m2t files transferred from file-based (HD or memory card) cameras, or captured from tape by editing applications like Premiere Pro is supported.

• 4. Re: Can't import .m2t files
                nicknameforme Level 1

Hdvsplit is pretty common for capturing I think. Pretty sure I read 

that its files have been imported to ae by others

• 5. Re: Can't import .m2t files

Feel free to upload a short sample to a file hosting site (yousendit, etc). I'll try it and report back.

• 6. Re: Can't import .m2t files
                    nicknameforme Level 1

The problem is with my install (even though everything else seems to work

fine).  I tried a different computer with After Effects and it loaded the

.m2t files.  I wish I knew how to manually add the missing codecs instead of

trying to reinstall Master Collection.

• 7. Re: Can't import .m2t files

You can't manually add these codecs, but you can make sure the After Effects third party content package is installed.

If it isn't, you can try re-installing that package.

If you updated to 9.02, you could experience this issue:

If you downloaded the After Effects 9.0 trial, then updated to After Effects 9.0.1, and then activated the application with a serial number after purchasing a license (all in exactly that order), then the After Effects 9.0.2 update will fail to update your third-party content, like the Cycore (CC) effect plug-ins. It appears that uninstalling the third-party content and then restarting the application will cause the updated third-party content to be installed correctly.

• 8. Re: Can't import .m2t files
                        nicknameforme Level 1

Thank you so much for your follow-through, Adolfo.  That last trick fixed

it.  I uninstalled the 3rd party content -- and then restart AFX caused it

to load some missing files -- and then .m2t worked!

I never would have figured that out.  Where did you get that tidbit of info?

I wonder if the same trick will work with Premiere?

• 9. Re: Can't import .m2t files
                          Where did you get that tidbit of info?

Good question.

On my rush to help, I forgot to mention the source. It's (AE documentation guru) Todd Kopriva's blog, Region of Interest.

But as an Adobe employee, I am doing my best to keep current on issues that may affect AE users.

I am not sure if this applies to Premiere Pro as well.

• 10. Re: Can't import .m2t files
                            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

nicknameforme wrote:

I wonder if the same trick will work with Premiere?

It might, but I'm not sure. Premiere and Encore handle this a bit differntly, as there this is part of the "core" functionality (no MPEG, no DVD output, obviously) and the CoDecs are part of the normal install. Can't remeber the exact steps I took, but what seems to work is to deactivate those apps chosing to remove the serial, run them at least once as a trial so the CoDecs get disabled, then on the next run input the serial so the CoDecs are re-installed. Restarting the system once or twice inbetween is also required for the installer to handle this correctly. Just try it that way. If it doesn't work, you can always do a full re-install...

Mylenium