3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2009 9:44 AM by the_wine_snob

Codec Question for the Mac...

wallybarthman

Background: I use Premiere Pro infrequently since I also own Final Cut Express and only need Premiere when I am doing something I shot in 24p mode - since FCE doesn't support frame rates other than 29.97 and 25. 

Computer Specs:

Apple Mac Mini (Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GHz, 4 Gig RAM, 1 TB FireWire 400 drive as scratch)

So far I have tried bringing in the native AVCHD files and playing them back - and I get jumpy and unusable playback (I know this is to be expected).  I also tried using the QuickTime files that use Apple Intermediate Codec and Uncompressed Audio, and I get worse playback. 

When I pull up activity monitor I see "ImportProcessServer" running at full torque - which leads me to believe that although Premiere supports both formats without transcoding, my little Mac Mini just doesn't have the power to do it in real time. 

My question - is there another codec that I could transcode my content to that would not require the ImportProcessServer to be running?  Put another way, is there a native codec for Adobe that would be less processor intensive than AVCHD so I could edit content.  I have Adobe Media Encoder so I have some flexibility as far as codecs. 

Thanks!

- Brian

PS - As for "why don't you just get final cut studio" - I need Blu-ray authoring capability and don't want to spend more than I need must. 

• 1. Re: Codec Question for the Mac...
          Harm Millaard Level 7

You can downrez to DV AVI type2 (SD). Your mini Mac should be able to handle that. It can't handle AVCHD, it is too much underpowered.

• 2. Re: Codec Question for the Mac...
            wallybarthman Level 1

I figured out a solution and figured I'd post it for future reference should someone else have the same problem. 

What I realized was that I needed to transcode my content from AVCHD (which was too demanding for my Mini inside of Encore - other apps can play it fine for the record) into a native codec that wouldn't be as demanding?  My solution - MPEG-2.  Transcoding into MPEG-2 at 30 Mbps allowed me to preserve most of the original quality (some was lost, but when you're starting with 17 Mbps H.264 allowing for 30 Mbps MPEG-2 seemed about right) while editing the file inside of Premiere Pro without difficulty.  The other bonus is that the in the process of transcoding I could remove the 3:2 pulldown inserted by the camera. 

• 3. Re: Codec Question for the Mac...
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Wally,

Thanks for posting. That workflow is likely to help others in the future.

Good luck,

Hunt