1 2 Previous Next 48 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2009 11:19 AM by the_wine_snob

Encore will not function

cellobella

I am unable to get Encore to export in any format.  It will open only with Premiere open also.  I get the following error message when attempting to export: When I right click on the ! in the triangle at the end of the file it says :Could not read from the source. Please check if  deleted or moved.

PProHeadless.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Here is the error detail.

- Source File: C:\DOCUME~1\ALANSA~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\MJW_2_2_1.prproj
      - Output File: E:\MJW2\Sequence 02.avi
      - Preset Used: Custom
      - Video:
      - Audio:
      - Bitrate:
      - Encoding Time: 20:53:36
      7/25/2009 11:13:42 AM : Encoding Failed
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Could not read from the source. Please check if it has moved or been deleted.
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have the Premier project and media files stored on a 1 tb portable hard drive.  Software is on the C drive.

Computer specs are:

OS-XP

RAM:  2 Gigs

Proc. 2.5 GHz

Graphics:  NVidia card

My project is quite simple, just 3 tracks of audio and 2 tracks of video (with a few dissolves and lower 1/3 text supers).  Length is only 3.5 min.

How can I tell Encore to go to a different drive to get the file?  Is that the problem?  Yesterday, I was able to download the files to .mov, .flv, and earlier today .3gp., with the same settins as the ones I currently have.  Now I can't get Encore to work at all.  This is my 1st project with CS4 (I was using Premier 1.5) so any help is appreciated.

• 1. Re: Encore will not function
          Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Are you sure you are talking about Encore or are you talking about Adobe Media Encoder (AME).  It looks like a AME error message that is caused by a removable drive like you have.  Try going into (Windows) Disk Management and assigning a drive letter rather than letting Windows temporarily assign a drive letter.

• 2. Re: Encore will not function
            cellobella Level 1

Thanks for the answer, Bill.  Yes it is an AME error.  It opens as Encore, so that's what I was calling it, but the function is AME.   I think it may be two issues that I'm dealing with, the location of the file and maybe a RAM issue because I get the "can't locate file" message plus the "PProheadless.exe has to close" error.  But it's worth noting that yesterday I was able to convert the file to flash with it located on the portable drive, and I haven't moved anything (except I did also copy the project file to the C drive instead of just the E portable hard drive file).  In fact I went through and deleted all extra shots in the project timeline, thinking that would make the file even smaller and easier to export.  BTW I am working on a laptop with a 1tb portable drive attached by USB2.

Now the question is, the portable drive is called E, so when I am in disk mgt and can change the name and path, what should I change it to?

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Encore will not function
              Harm Millaard Level 7
              Yes it is an AME error.  It opens as Encore, so that's what I was calling it, but the function is AME.

That is not possible. Encore and AME are different applications with completely different interfaces. So what is it?

• 4. Re: Encore will not function
                cellobella Level 1

Thanks for the reply.  Yes you are right it is AME--my mistake.  (BTW, I just got Premier CS4 and this is my 1st project on it.  Before that I was using Premier 1.5.).  I am not  able to encode to any type of file at this point, because the "Pproheadless.exe has encountered a problem" message comes on right after I select "start queue".

• 5. Re: Encore will not function
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

What is your source material? What are your project settings? What happens when you try to encode to Microsoft AVI with the DV preset, instead of custom with no video size and no audio defined? Like this:

26-07-2009 16-12-34.jpg

• 6. Re: Encore will not function

cellobella wrote:

Now the question is, the portable drive is called E, so when I am in disk mgt and can change the name and path, what should I change it to?

Thanks.

Just change it to any other letter of your choice.  Then when you start and stop windows it will not classed as a fully removable drive and Premiere should find your files.

I hope it is not a USB drive as that will seriously limit its performance.

• 7. Re: Encore will not function
                      cellobella Level 1

Ok, I will try that.  Yes it is a usb 2 drive.

Thanks.

• 8. Re: Encore will not function
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Bill, unfortunately the OP has a USB drive. With only two disks, one of which a USB disk, he will be limited to a single track to see any mediocre editing at most, especially, as often happens with notebooks (I'm assuming he uses a notebook, I may be wrong), the first drive is only 5400 RPM. He would be much better of with 2 additional  (e)SATA drives.

• 9. Re: Encore will not function
                          cellobella Level 1

Hey Guys thanks very much for the comments.  This is the 1st time I've been on one of these forums, so I appreciate your patience.  Also, I am a producer and in the past I have had a professional video editor pick up the job from me when it comes to this point, but he is out of town and away from email, so I am trying to handle it myself.  My tech support guy has mentioned getting at least one sata drive, so that is in my future.  For now, can I get my project off the computer?!  It is only 3 min. long with 1 video track, 3 audio tracks, mainly cuts and dissolves and a few lower 1/3 supers.  I was able to do this kind of project with premier 1.5, and export the video, so I figured I could do it with CS4 also.  You are right, the hard drive is 5400rpm and the portable is 7200rpm.--usb 2.  The media files are on the portable drive, as well as the project file, but I also copied the project file to the C drive on the laptop.

Regarding the settings, I know this sounds lame, but I'm not sure exactly what they are.  (I am learning this technical level---obviously).Basically it's mini DV, NTSC, wide screen.

I'm using a Toshiba satellite laptop with 2 GB RAM and a 2.5 ghz processor.

Also, now that I have reassigned a new name to the E (portable) drive, I'm calling it X.  Now Premier doesn't know where any of the source files are.  Should I tell it they are all on X?

Thanks.

• 10. Re: Encore will not function
                            Harm Millaard Level 7

PR asks for the location of file ABC when starting. Just point to the directory and file on your X drive and PR will find all other files automatically.

With DV material you should be able to do this, no problem.

• 11. Re: Encore will not function
                              cellobella Level 1

Sorry I forgot to answer one of your questions from this post.  No matter what format I choose to encode to, I get the Pproheadess.exe error and I can't move forward with the encoding.

• 12. Re: Encore will not function
                                Harm Millaard Level 7

Just try with the settings in the image I previously included, only make that a NTSC preset for your case.

• 13. Re: Encore will not function
                                  cellobella Level 1

Just to clarify...when I open the project and it asks me "where is the file ABC?"  If I point it to X, it will automatically know where all the other source files are (they are in the same folder on the drive formerly known as E, now X).

Thanks.

• 14. Re: Encore will not function
                                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Correct.

• 15. Re: Encore will not function
                                      cellobella Level 1

Are the source file location and the "Prproheadless.exe" error two separate issues?

Thanks.

• 16. Re: Encore will not function
                                        cellobella Level 1

What I am experiencing is that after changing the portable hard drive to X, PR does not automatically know where all the files are.  I have had to tell it the location of about 5 of the files, even though they are all on the x drive.  It is asking me where the rendered file is and I don't know that location.  Do I need that file to play the video I edited?

Thanks.

• 17. Re: Encore will not function
                                          Harm Millaard Level 7

If you just skip all rendered files, you will need to rerender. Nothing wrong with that and given the length of your timeline it looks more efficient than searching for those convoluted names that PR gives those rendered files.

• 18. Re: Encore will not function
                                            cellobella Level 1

Yes, I figured that out and skipped it.  Got all the files needed.  Still no-go on the encoding (getting the same error) with the following settings:

Microsoft AVI

NTSC DV

720 x 480 lower quality 100

48000 hz stereo, 16 bit

Video Codec DV NTSC

Obviously, I am not an expert in this, but I have read that Prproheadless.exe is a RAM-hog (see link below).

http://digitalcontentproducer.com/affordablehd/newsletter/cs4_64bit_1222/index.html

Could it be that Pproheadless.exe is trying to use more RAM than it actually needs for this project (hence the error message), since it is designed to do much more RAM-intensive projects like HD encoding. Does that make sense...?

• 19. Re: Encore will not function
                                              Harm Millaard Level 7

I know there have been discussions about the Prproheadless issue, but I have not followed it. Maybe search for it on the forum. I would think that 2 GB RAM would be enough for simple DV editing, but on the other hand, adding a second stick with 2 GB is cheap and will increase performance and maybe help solve your issue. The problem is that I can't replicate it since I use Vista 64 and have 12 GB of RAM.

You designated the question answered. Which post gave you the correct answer and were there helpful ones as well? You can give contributors points for those answers by clicking on the corresponding button in the post.

• 20. Re: Encore will not function
                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

The "headless.exe" is, at its most basic level the application that creates the Adobe Dynamic Link (DL), between PrPro and Encore. There are several threads (one a bit older, but with some recent discussion on it) here, and also on the Adobe Encore forum.

A couple of thoughts:

The DL aspect has been known to cause problems with certain material in CS4. The workaround is to do things "the old-fashioned way," i.e. Export your Sequences as elemental streams, DV-AVI Type II (video-only) for your Video and as a PCM/WAV (audio-only) for your Audio. Then, launch Encore, and Import the DV-AVI (video-only), as a Timeline, and the PCM/WAV (audio-only) as an Asset. In Encore, drag your Audio file(s) to the appropriate Timeline(s). Create your navigation and Burn.

Regarding your USB external. In the OS, set the same drive letter assignment for that HDD. Everytime you plug-in, unplug that drive, it will always have the same drive letter. If you swap to other machines, do the same in the OS for all. Then, when you help PrPro locate the Assets, so long as you do not move them about, PrPro will always be able to find them again, and you only will have had to do that location "dance" once.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS, as total aside, I could not even think of editing to/from a USB external. FW-400 was better, though just barely. FW-800 works fine, though eSATA would be even better.

• 21. Re: Encore will not function
                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Here's one ARTICLE on the PrProheadless.com, for the Cow.

Hunt

• 22. Re: Encore will not function
                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is another ARTICLE in the CS4 forum, but it's still not the one that I am looking for. In that, there were some very useful comments by Jeff Bellune.

Hunt

• 23. Re: Encore will not function
                                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Here's an ARTICLE from Encore, with a little background, plus comments on using DL and also "the old-fashioned way."

Hunt

• 24. Re: Encore will not function
                                                        cellobella Level 1

Hi Harm:

Thanks so much for the input.  As I said this is my 1st time on this forum, so I am still learning the protocols.  I didn't intend to post the reply as question answered, (not sure how that happened) though I do appreciate all the input from The Wine Snob and I will check out all the links provided.

I was hoping that I could use my 4 year old XP laptop with a total of 2 GB RAM (fully upgraded) and the 2.5 gig processor, since those specs met the requirements (on paper) for Premier CS4.  Only spec I didn't meet was the 7200rpm internal hard drive (mine is only 5400). 

My strategy has always been to edit the video myself up to a certain point, then turn it over to a professional editor for refining transitions, adding effects, audio sweetening, etc.

It sounds like a major work-around to me to just get the movie off the computer--but maybe I can get used to it until funds are available for a new system. Seems like the upgrade may be the only realistic solution, since many of those who write into this and other forums discuss problems with CS4 using way more RAM and much faster processors than what I have on my laptop.

I really had no trouble editing my video and I was very happy using CS4 as far as usability and performance.  It was a pleasure editing with the program, really, especially after working on Premier 1.5.  So it's disappointing that it's so hard to just get this relatively simple video out of the computer so it can be uploaded.

Best wishes,

cellobella

• 25. Re: Encore will not function
                                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, CS4 does require more resources, than previous versions. Yes, your computer is at the lowest level for performance. The 5400RPM single HDD will be a bottleneck. However, if you are patient, work slowly (Save often), and can live with probable jerkiness in playback, with SD material, you should be able to get by.

I'd advise (and this is gut feeling, and not from emperical testing) doing the Export from PrPro (remember, elemental streams) and Import into Encore. Keeping Adobe DL out of the mix will likely keep the resources usage to a minimum.

Another piece of advice is to eliminate ALL unnecessary processes and programs, before each editing session. Even on my workstation and on a very powerful laptop, I close ALL anti-virus, pop-up blockers, sypware killers, etc. I then run a little program, EndItAll2, to close all unnecessary processes. At the same time, I have already eliminated most of these with MSCONFIG, when I set the machines up. Most computers loose 1/3 +/- of their capabilities due to "bloatware," and other things, that are definitely NOT needed to do editing. This also means that one will NOT have any Internet presence, no e-mails, etc., while editing. When you're done editing/authoring, just reboot to get the machine back to "normal." Then, and only then, can you surf the Net, answer e-mails, and similar - not while editing/authoring.

Good luck, and hope that it goes well. If you need more direct info on the Export, let me know. I covered the basics in this and the Encore thread. Also, if you hit any problems with Encore specifically, there are a ton of helpful people in the Encore forum. That link is to the General Encore forum. If your problem is more specific, note the different sub-fora and post to the appropriate one. Many of the folk there, do not hang out here, and vice versa. There are two "experts" in particular, who do not post here, but know their Encore inside and out.

Hunt

• 26. Re: Encore will not function
                                                            Harm Millaard Level 7

I don't know if your notebook has an eSATA connector or an Express Card connector, but if you have one of them, you will get much faster performance and a better editing experience if you get an eSATA disk for direct connection to the eSATA port or also get an Express Card to dual eSATA connectors for up to 2 external eSATA drives. This is specially important since your boot disk is only 5400 RPM. If you have neither connectors, you may have to look for a PCMCIA to eSATA card. The investment in an external eSATA disk will give you years of joy even with another PC.

• 27. Re: Encore will not function
                                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

The eSATA card would be great, provided that the BIOS and the laptop can handle that. I'd guess that PCMCIA might be the only route though. Do not know of any eSATA PCMCIA cards, but they might exist. I've got a FW-800 one just gathering dust here, but one would need both the FW-800 connections on their externals and also BIOS that could use FW-800. Still, eSATA with appropriate drives would be the way to go, definitely.

If the OP did have only a PCMCIA slot, drive(s) that can use FW-800 and BIOS that will support that connection, I'd be happy to mail this card to them as a loaner, until the Project was done.  I'd even wipe the Arizona desert-dust off of it... [e-mail in profile].

Hunt

• 28. Re: Encore will not function
                                                                cellobella Level 1

I have to leave the computer for a while, but I will consider your offer and get back to you later today.  Thanks.

Cellobella

• 29. Re: Encore will not function

I have a notebook about 4 years old and it uses a "CardBus" interface.  Here is the Addonics site for my dual eSATA card.  First there was PCMCIA then CardBus and now the notebook interface is ExpressCard.

• 30. Re: Encore will not function
                                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Bill,

I had forgotten the possibility of the CardBus. I missed that between laptops.

Mine card is PCMCIA and is NOT eSATA, only FW-400 and FW-800. May be too old to help out here - desert dust and all.

Hunt

• 31. Re: Encore will not function
                                                                      cellobella Level 1

One thing that occurred to me, ironically maybe, is that I have no need to burn the video file to a DVD at this point.  I just need a file that I can upload so someone can look at the video.  It can be a very small file. Looks like I still need  to use AME/Encore to get the file out of the computer though.

These are the sata drive options I'm looking into:

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=278303

http://www.satadrives.com/silverunit.html

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4034139&CatId=2 459

Thanks.

• 32. Re: Encore will not function
                                                                        Harm Millaard Level 7

The Belkin is the type  I intended. There are more brands, but this one is good.

The disk is great, about the best you can buy for the money. However, instead of the Silverunit, I would prefer a standard external housing to keep the disk clean and dust free, as well as properly cooled. Have a look here: http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=92&name=External-Enclosures

Be aware that you need an enclosure with both eSATA (for the data connection) and USB2 (for the power connection).

• 33. Re: Encore will not function

Harm Millaard wrote:

Be aware that you need an enclosure with both eSATA (for the data connection) and USB2 (for the power connection).

Harm are you refering to a 2.5" disk/enclosure?  They are the only ones that I am aware of where there is enough power in a USB connection to power a 2.5" disk but when you get to 3.5" disks my eSATA units all have external power adapters.

• 34. Re: Encore will not function
                                                                            Harm Millaard Level 7

That would be even better.

• 35. Re: Encore will not function
                                                                              cellobella Level 1

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=278303

3 questions,

-how do I know my computer can handle the speed this drive will provide (as mentioned earlier)

-will this solve the headless.exe error and allow me to use AME effectively?

-this looks like something that would actually be inserted into the card slot on the side of the laptop, true?

Thanks.

cellobella

• 36. Re: Encore will not function
                                                                                Harm Millaard Level 7

1. If your PC is from this century, you can be assured it can.

2. Don't know, but it will definitely not hurt, only help.

3. Yes.

• 37. Re: Encore will not function
                                                                                  cellobella Level 1

Great, thanks!!

Cellobella

• 38. Re: Encore will not function-update
                                                                                    cellobella Level 1

Just wanted to let you (and others who were so helpful this weekend) know, that I was able to get on with Adobe tech support this morning and they told me that the "pproheadless.exe has encountered a problem and has to close" error is a bug that is affecting many users with Premier Pro CS4 who have systems with less than 4GB of RAM.  The tech said that if I can transfer my project to a system with at least 4GB of RAM, I should be able to export it without a problem.  Meanwhile, my case has been escalated to a higher level of support and they will get back to me (within 2 working days!!) with a solution. I think they are on the hook to fix the problem, because their published specs state that only 2GB RAM is required to run Premier Pro CS4.

Meanwhile, the person I made the video for loves it.  I showed it to him (within the project on the laptop!) last night. Of course he wants a copy right away .  I have a friend with a more powerful system and I'm going to see if he can take the project and encode it on his system, so I can get a copy.

Thanks again for all the support!

cellobella

• 39. Re: Encore will not function-update
                                                                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for reporting on the 2GB RAM issues an PPro Headless. In the other discussions here, and on the Encore forum, I'm not sure that was ever considered.

Appreciated,

Hunt

1 2 Previous Next