21 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2009 9:27 PM by avpromedia

Unstable after placing 70 avchd files on a timeline?

avpromedia Level 1

I have a sanyo vpc cg10 that outputs .mp4 files (avchd) in 1280 x 720.

I imported about 70 such files into a premiere project on a HDV 1280 x 720 sequence, since there is no avchd 1280 x 720 preset.

Then, I put them on a timeline. After this the machine becomes unstable. Playing the time line stutters badly (pause a few seconds), scrubbing doesn't work, and then the whole app just froze and had to be killed.

Subsequently I tried adding 10 files at a time to the time line, wait for audio to be converted before adding more files. I was able to add 41 files ok. When the 42th file is added, the video turns solid green, so are the subsequent clips. Shortly after premiere seems to freeze again (not even refreshing screen uncovered by task manager).

The PC is a Q6600 cpu at default clock, 4GB ram, and several TB of drive space.

Task manager reports premiere is using between 600M of RAM, and an "importprocessserver" is using 1.4G.

How can I put all 70 files on the timeline without it freezing?

• 1. Re: Unstable after placing 70 avchd files on a timeline?
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          I imported about 70 such files into a premiere project on a HDV 1280 x 720 sequence, since there is no avchd 1280 x 720 preset.

That is the wrong approach. Use a standard AVCHD preset and select the format you have shot in.

26-07-2009 06-34-49.jpg

There are a number of 720 formats to choose from.

• 2. Re: Unstable after placing 70 avchd files on a timeline?
            avpromedia Level 1

Thanks. How did I miss those avchd 1280 x 720p preset?

Anyhow, using the correct preset doesn't solve the problem. After putting a certain number of avchd files from the project window onto the sequence, the thumbnails of the last few clips turn into solid green, and the app is on the verge of freezing (I couldn't even exit). All clips play fine while still in the project window before dropping onto the sequence.

After killing premiere to exit, the "importprocessserver" had to be killed separately.

• 3. Re: Unstable after placing 70 avchd files on a timeline?
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Try deleting your media cache. Then close and reopen your project and let the conforming and indexing of your files finish before trying to edit.

• 4. Re: Unstable after placing 70 avchd files on a timeline?
                Powered by Design Level 4

have you tried putting half on one timeline and the other on a second timeline then nesting those 2 timelines in a third ?

try that and see if it works.

not really fixing the problem but it might work.

Enjoy:  Glenn

• 5. Re: Unstable after placing 70 avchd files on a timeline?
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Glenn,

My gut feeling is that the media cache still contains material from the previous and incorrect HDV project. I think/hope that cleaning this up will result in only AVCHD cached files and remove the problem. Since the clips all play OK in the project window, it does not look like there is anything wrong with the material as such.That could be easily checked by creating a new timeline and only moving the latest clips, that cause green screens, into the new timeline or playing these clips in the source monitor.

• 6. Re: Unstable after placing 70 avchd files on a timeline?
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

The question should also be asked; are you waiting for the files to be fully indexed/conformed before you work?

• 7. Re: Unstable after placing 70 avchd files on a timeline?
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Jim,

In post #3 I told the OP to wait until indexing and conforming is finished before starting to edit. I just hope he listens.

• 9. Re: Unstable after placing 70 avchd files on a timeline?
                        avpromedia Level 1

I ran memtest86 and it found 2 bad addresses after running for 15 minutes

I guess there's no point in continuing this thread until I fix the memory. Sorry I should have tried this sooner.

Thanks for all the help.

• 10. Re: Unstable after placing 70 avchd files on a timeline?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Too very often, users miss that little progress bar at the lower-right, and begin happily editing. Often, they get hangs, and crashes, or the "Media Pending" message, and become highly concerned. Would be good, if there was some message, that suggested "patience," and maybe even suggust that this would be a good time for a cup of coffee, or tea.

Hunt

• 11. Re: Unstable after placing 70 avchd files on a timeline?
                            avpromedia Level 1

Fixing the memory problem unfortunately does not fix the premiere problem. I also deleted the swap file (actually set the swap file to another drive).

I ran another premiere test. First I deleted all files from the preview folder.

This time, I found that after dropping the 70+ avchd files into the project, the system is already unstable. Some files are already playing as a solid green screen from the project folder before I put anything on the timeline.

I rebooted and started a new test. This time I import 10 files at a time. After each import, I verified each of the 10 files play fine in the project window. After importing 50 files, I found that the first 20 files no longer play correctly. Sometime they stutters, sometimes they play backward, sometimes they turn into a green screen.

Any more ideas?

• 12. Re: Unstable after placing 70 avchd files on a timeline?
                              Jim_Simon Level 8

You still haven't indicated whether or not you're letting the indexing/conforming process finish before you start editing.

• 13. Re: Unstable after placing 40 avchd files into the project
                                avpromedia Level 1

I drop 10 files at a time into the project. I wait for indexing to finish -- actually, it takes less than 1 second to do the indexing so it's very difficult to not wait for them to finish.

Then I drop another 10 files, and so on.

This time, after dropping files 31 to 40, file 32 to file 40 all have problematic playback (stutters, turns green momentarily, etc). The earlier files still play fine.

Then I try to exit premiere, and answered no to save project. It hangs after that dialog without completely exiting. I have to kill it.

In this project, I purposely did NOT create a sequence. The problem occurs just by dropping files into the project.

• 14. Re: Unstable after placing 40 avchd files into the project
                                  Powered by Design Level 4

just as an experment try converting the AVCHD file to DV AVI II ( or use one you already have )

once you have the AVI tri copying that file and re-naming it to different names and then importing it.

maybe it has nothing to do with AVCHD and it is a bug with importing files ?

I know this doesnt fix the problem. ( just an experment )

Sucks when things dont go the way we want them to go.

Enjoy:  Glenn

• 15. Re: Unstable after placing 70 avchd files on a timeline?
                                    Colin Brougham Level 6

This is a bit of a long shot, but worth a test: do you have the "Write XMP ID to files on import" option checked? It's found in Edit > Preferences > Media. If it's checked, uncheck it and try the import process again. I've found that, while this option generally causes no problems, with some formats (particularly those that are temporally-compressed or otherwise "non-standard") it can wreak havoc. Premiere will attempt to write the IDs to the imported files, but sometimes this is flaky and what actually ends up happening is that Premiere corrupts/breaks the files. If nothing else, it can get caught in a feedback loop as it will try to write the ID, can't, and then tries again, either during the same session or on a revisit to the project. Incidentally, this is a good reason to NOT work on your original, irreplaceable footage files.

Again, no guarantees, but it's worth a test.

• 16. Re: Unstable after placing 40 avchd files into the project
                                      avpromedia Level 1

I used adobe media encoder to convert all 70+ avchd into dv avi (wide screen 720 x 480).

Then I created a new project and imported those 70+ avi files. No problem. I further put those clips on a timeline -- no problem either.

The only problem is this conversion lowered the quality of the video to worse than average DV clip. I can see large pixels (or artifacts). If I can find a better file format to convert these avchd files into, that may be a good workaround to the problem.

Still, I'd like to know why importing 40 avchd files would destablize premiere. I was thinking of buying a nicer avchd camcorder ($1000) but would have to put off that idea until the editing issue is resolved.

• 17. Re: Unstable after placing 40 avchd files into the project