3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2008 3:10 PM by Newsgroup_User

help, 16 year old going mad here...,

webteen-16
      So I'm a bit new to Dreamweaver. I use to work with another editor but opted for Dreamweaver this time around as I really wanted to work on dreamweaver and compare the results. And it’s confusing. I made a site on my pc and when I uploaded it on the server it was haphazard, nothing was in order. I think it might be something to do with CSS, of which i have limited experience.
      So I made a new one and have some problems again though

1) How can I make a website run perfectly on most browsers? My current site appears slightly different on different browsers.
      2) Can the errors received when running the validation thing be automatically corrected?

-Salman
        • 1. Re: help, 16 year old going mad here...,
          Level 7
          On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 21:56:33 +0000 (UTC), "webteen-16"
          <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

>So I'm a bit new to Dreamweaver. I use to work with another editor but opted
          >for Dreamweaver this time around as I really wanted to work on dreamweaver and
          >compare the results. And it?s confusing. I made a site on my pc and when I
          >uploaded it on the server it was haphazard, nothing was in order. I think it
          >might be something to do with CSS, of which i have limited experience.
          > So I made a new one and have some problems again though
          >
          > 1) How can I make a website run perfectly on most browsers? My current site
          >appears slightly different on different browsers.
          > 2) Can the errors received when running the validation thing be automatically
          >corrected?
          >
          > -Salman

Can you give us the url - it's all in the code
          --

~Malcolm~*...
          ~*
          • 2. Re: help, 16 year old going mad here...,
            Level 7
            1) that's the mysterious black art of web design. Browser variability is
            what inspired the
            conditional comment. If the differences are subtle, don't worry about them.
            If your pages break apart, validate pages here first.

CSS Validator
            http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

HTML Validator
            http://validator.w3.org

2) Sorry, there is no auto fix for coding and syntax errors. You will need
            to know HTML & CSS if you want to use DW. A good place to start
            www.w3schools.com

If you continue to have problems, post a URL to your site so we can see the
            code.

--Nancy O.
            Alt-Web Design & Publishing
            www.alt-web.com

"webteen-16" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:g6qo2h$s0c$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > So I'm a bit new to Dreamweaver. I use to work with another editor but
            opted
            > for Dreamweaver this time around as I really wanted to work on dreamweaver
            and
            > compare the results. And it?s confusing. I made a site on my pc and when I
            > uploaded it on the server it was haphazard, nothing was in order. I think
            it
            > might be something to do with CSS, of which i have limited experience.
            > So I made a new one and have some problems again though
            >
            > 1) How can I make a website run perfectly on most browsers? My current
            site
            > appears slightly different on different browsers.
            > 2) Can the errors received when running the validation thing be
            automatically
            > corrected?
            >
            > -Salman
            >

• 3. Re: help, 16 year old going mad here...,
              Ben M Adobe Community Professional
              1. Run your page through the validator: http://validator.w3.org/ . If you run into issues post here.

2. What types of errors are you receiving?

If you need advice most people here will ask to see the page or at least the code to determine what is going on.

Also since you mentioned that you have limited experience with CSS I would recommend giving the following tutorial a read-over:

http://www.w3schools.com/css/