26 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2009 2:54 PM by the_wine_snob

Can't save projects

commalot

OK...I was happy. Now I'm having problems. Every time I try to open a saved project PP just shuts down. I have my scratch disc and source files on one hard drive and my projects on my OS drive. If I open a new project I'm fine. Just can't save.

• 1. Re: Can't save projects
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Maybe your project is damaged. You could try a new project and importing the existing project into it. Open the bin with the existing project and double click on the sequence to open the timeline.

• 2. Re: Can't save projects
            commalot Level 1

I'm doing something wrong. Not any of the saved projects open. I'm moving the scratch disc folder to my OS drive. One question for now. When I start a new project half the time it opens up with "no sequence" and thus no timeline. Do I need to name the sequence when you start a new project?

I know this is PP 101. I didn't have problems with my old, old version. This  CS4 version seems more touchy.

• 3. Re: Can't save projects
              Harm Millaard Level 7

This is strange. When creating a new project, it should have one sequence in the project and a single timeline called Sequence 01. It this does not happen consistently, you may need to do a repair install. Maybe that will also remedy your other problems.

• 4. Re: Can't save projects
                commalot Level 1

I hate to ask. What exactly is a repair install?

• 5. Re: Can't save projects
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

It checks your installation and reinstalls missing or corrupted files.

In the Control Panel there is an option to Repair or Uninstall.

• 6. Re: Can't save projects
                    Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

It is most likely as Harm has suggested but another thing I noticed is that you have your project files on your OS disk.  This is not good practice it would be better to have everything from a project on the second disk in a two disk system.  Also do you phsically have two internal disks?  Or are you operating off a single partitioned disk?

• 7. Re: Can't save projects
                      commalot Level 1

I have 2 Sata discs. One of them is dedicated to music samples. 1 is for OS and apps. I have a third 1TB eSata which I installed from a PCI card for Adobe scratch, source, project files (CS4 PP, AE, etc).

I'll move the Project/scratch folders off the OS disc and back to the 1TB disc.

I do have a dumb, possibly the problem, question. When I transfer the AVCHD files from the memory card there are several associated files that come with it. As all I needed was the .MTS file I was deleting the rest. Could this be causing a problem? I don't see how this would effect starting up a new project though.

• 8. Re: Can't save projects
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Generally, with card/HD based material it is wise to use the manufacturer supplied software to transfer to hard disk and then in Premiere import the whole directory that contains the clips and other files. You never know exactly what is needed and it seems like inviting disaster to strike when you remove these small files. You will not even notice their presence, so small are they. For example, when using XDCAM-EX material, just import the whole BPAV directory, including all sub directories, not only the MP4 files.

• 9. Re: Can't save projects
                          commalot Level 1

Thanks Harm.

At this point I'm assuming that I'm just doing something wrong/stupid. So far, it's just  reopening saved projects that I'm having difficulty with. Once I'm in a new project all is running fine.

Another noob question: When you save a project does the name require ".pjt" at the end or ?

• 10. Re: Can't save projects
                            Harm Millaard Level 7

When saving a project the extension is .PRPROJ

Try importing the troublesome project into a new project, then open the bin for that project in the project window and double click on the sequence to reconstruct your timeline. Maybe that helps recover the existing project.

• 11. Re: Can't save projects
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

When you are Saving, the .PRPROJ extension will automatically be added. Ctrl-s will do this too. If you do a Save_As, or Save_As_a_Copy, the default extension will be .PRPROJ. You do not need to type this in. I would, however, refrain from using any file name with a "." (dot/period) in it, so as to not confuse the program.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Can't save projects
                                commalot Level 1

I'm on to something. I was reading about anothers problem with Encore and the subject of disc management came up. This 1TB eSata drive I'm using is newly installed. When I click "My Computer" all the other drives show up with a picture of a drive and the name. My new drive just has a "LaCie" icon and a letter. In "Disc Management" > settings>appearance, it's listed as "unallocated". I have 9 choices;

Primary partition

Extended partition

Free space

Logical drive

Simple volume

Spanned volume

Striped volume

Mirrored volume

Raid-5 volume

Could this be the problem and I'm guessing "simple volume" would be the correct choice?

• 13. Re: Can't save projects
                                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Primary partition and simple volume is what you need, but have you never tried accessing the disk before? Just format the disk as one giant partition as a simple volume with NTFS.

• 14. Re: Can't save projects
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

All of my externals, mostly 2TB Maxtors, are Primary Partition and then formatted as NTFS.

The icon may differ, as some have an .ICO file for the display.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS, for all externals, you will want to assign drive letters in the OS. I started with Z:\ and work backward. This means that no matter which order these are turned on, or whether they are moved to another machine, they ALWAYS come up with the correct drive letter. You MUST do this in the OS for all computers that you use the drive on. Put a lable on each one, so you know what drive letter has been set for that HDD.

• 15. Re: Can't save projects
                                      commalot Level 1

Yes, it was formatted using the supplied LaCie disc. And yes, it shows up in the CS4 directory and I can import clips from it.

• 16. Re: Can't save projects
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                                        yes, it shows up in the CS4 directory and I can import clips from it.

Great. Just remember the drive letter assignment. Some external devices will grab drive letters, depending on the order that they are turned on. You want your LaCie to ALWAYS get the same drive letter, or you WILL be helping PrPro locate files and while not the end of the world, it's not something that I want to do more than once per Project.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 17. Re: Can't save projects
                                          commalot Level 1

It was assigned the letter "M". I named it "1 TB eSata". This is a simple system. I'm not removing drives and later hooking them back up, no networking.

In disc management the 2 internal drives show as "active". The 1 TB eSata doesn't list as "active", just "healthy". All of the drives are "healthy".

• 18. Re: Can't save projects
                                            commalot Level 1

I shot a minute of footage, transferred the file (didn't change anything) to the computer. I opened up a new project (AVCHD 1080P), named the project, imported the footage, and then "saved".

The same thing is happening! When I try to open the saved project it shows up for about a second and then CS4 shuts down.

One other odd thing. When you open a new project "sequence 1" is highlighted by default. If I don't un-highlight it the project will open with no sequence (no timeline).

• 19. Re: Can't save projects
                                              Harm Millaard Level 7

In CS3 PR remembered how many timelines were open when you closed PR and the next time you opened PR and created a new project, it came up with the same number of timelines. I haven't checked whether CS4 works exactly the same, but one can assume so. If that is true and the last time you exited PR without a timeline, the next time you open PR it will open without any timeline. In that case you need to double click on the sequence in the project window to open the timeline..

• 20. Re: Can't save projects
                                                commalot Level 1

I'll give that a try next time. That's not my main problem though. It's CS4 shutting down every time I try to open a saved project.

It doesn't just happen with AVCHD projects. I created a little DV project, saved it, tried to re-open it and the same thing happened. CS4 shuts down.

• 21. Re: Can't save projects
                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

For program crashes (or system crashes), this ARTICLE might give you some tools and ideas to work with.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 22. Re: Can't save projects
                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Going back to the earlier part of this thread, I'd like for you to do a test.

Open a New Project. Add something - anything, and then do a Save_As. Only change the file name, and not the extension.

What is the full name of that Project file, including its extension?

When you reopen that test Save_As Project, does it Open fine? Do one more Save_As and maybe just add a "1" to the end of the filename, not the extension. Does this file Open fine?

I'm wondering if Harm's earlier advice of a Repair Install might not be in order, but please run these simple tests first and report.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 23. Re: Can't save projects
                                                      commalot Level 1

Ta-Dahhh!!!!, drum roll..............   When I did "save as" and renamed the project it re-opened fine.

Thank You!  I was getting stumpted.

An after thought.  If I want to continue working on some project am I going to have to rename it everytime?

• 24. Re: Can't save projects
                                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

When I did "save as" and renamed the project it re-opened fine.

Great news. Thanks for hanging in there.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 25. Re: Can't save projects
                                                          commalot Level 1

And BTW, once I rename it in a new project I can just use "save" after that and it reopens fine.

• 26. Re: Can't save projects
                                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

That was going to be my next question. I got so excited that things were working well with the Save_As, and just forgot.

Hunt