14 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2009 6:56 AM by newwoodworker

PE7 Jerks

newwoodworker Level 1

Many times when editing a video (often as short as 6 to 8 minutes of video on the timeline) I get a jerk in the playback (while editing) now and then that literally stops the timeline and interrupts narration if I was doing that when the jerk happens.

I have a dual core processor, over 2 gig of memoery, trick video card with a gig of memory there and turn everything else off while editing video. I'm stumped!

• 1. Re: PE7 Jerks
          Paul_LS Level 4

Yes, it is very annoying, it started with PE4. Take a look at this thread that describes using Windows Sniper to "encapsulate" PE7:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/1759042#1759042

• 2. Re: PE7 Jerks
            newwoodworker Level 1

Thanks! I'll give the task manager thing a try and failing that, I'll get Sniper. I might get Sniper anyway jsut because it looks like a cool tool. It bothers me that they keep the price a secret on their site. That never seems to work out well in the end....

• 3. Re: PE7 Jerks
              JonboiAZ

Yea mine did the same thing. I went and updated my video driver fixed it.

NVIDIA Gforce 6600

• 4. Re: PE7 Jerks
                newwoodworker Level 1

My driver was updated not long ago (went with a killer Gforce card) but I

will check to be sure.

Thanks

Thank you for visiting my site!

Tom Hintz, Publisher

NewWoodworker.com LLC

• 5. Re: PE7 Jerks
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

With the exception of heavily compressed source files, that require a lot of processing - think AVCHD and others, playback is most dependent on your I/O sub-system, i.e. your HDD's. With that compressed material, the CPU plays a heavy role too.

If you have only one HDD, it is likely that it cannot keep up with all that you are asking it to do.

An ideal starting editing computer would have three physical (no partitions) HDD's, and they would be allocated:

C:\ OS, programs, and maybe the Windows Virtual Memory Page File.

D:\ all media Assets

E:\ Project with Scratch Disks

For HD material, a RAID 0 (at least) would help playback of the media, so many use this for the D:\. Note: it is inadvisable to NOT use any form of RAID, unless it also has redundency, as your System (C:\) drive. Though faster in, say a RAID 0, it is asking for failure at some time, with the loss of all data - OS, programs, etc.

SATA II drives are about as good as you can get for speed. Many will opt for a smaller 10,000RPM C:\ and then 7200RPM's for D:\ and E:\.

With the addition of the recording of Audio (large files, that require a lot of HDD activity), a one HDD system just gets over-stressed.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: PE7 Jerks
                    newwoodworker Level 1

My system has multiple HDD with the video work done on a 1TB dedicated drive

with no system or program files on it.

I just updated my video card driver but am about to go out for the day. I

just started a huge video project this morning so will be doing lots of

editing in coming days.

Tom Hintz, Publisher

NewWoodworker.com LLC

• 7. Re: PE7 Jerks
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Tom,

Provided that your 1TB unit is either an internal, or either an eSATA, or FW-800, I'd put the media and the Project w/ Scratch Disks onto it. If it's a USB, or even a FW-400, performance will definitely suffer.

Good luck,

Hunt

As a frame of reference, my workstation is set up this way:

C:\ SATA II 500GB OS and programs

D:\ SATA II 500GB "stock" media Assets

E:\ SATA II 1TB Medi in use with Projects

F:\ SATA II 1TB Projects and Scratch Disks (both PrPro Projects and Encore Projects)

G:\ SATA II 1TB Exported media

H:\ SATA II 1TB Audio files

Now, when I need portibility for my Projects, I'll use 2TB FW-800's to move the entire Project, w/ copies of all of the Assets between the workstation and the laptop. This is a bit slower to edit to/from, but even with this setup, playback is still good and smooth, just not so fast as purely on the workstation. New workstation will have two RAID 0's - one for the media and one for the Audio, but otherwise will be about the same.

• 8. Re: PE7 Jerks
                        newwoodworker Level 1

--It is an internal SATA and all of the media, project and scratch disk

reside on that one drive. I have had i set up like that all along but for

the life of me cannot recall exactly when this jerking started. I iknow it

was with PE7 but it has been going on to some degree for a long time. I do a

lot of shorter videos in the 2 to 3 minute range and that seems to suffer

the jerking less than longer pieces.

I have not tried it with the new video driver but will be doing lots of

video work tomorrow.

Tom Hintz, Publisher

NewWoodworker.com LLC

--- Original Message

• 9. Re: PE7 Jerks
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Tom,

That I/O setup sounds good.

Is your Timeline Rendered, i.e. showing a red line, or a green line just below the Timeline Ruler. Especially with any Effects added, jerking in playback can improve greatly with a Render (hitting Enter).

As a test, can you tell us the various Processes that Task Manager>Processes show as loaded and running? A screen-cap of the Task Manager>Processes screen will show all of the various programs and Processes. I'm wondering if some other program/Process is taking resources needed for playback.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: PE7 Jerks
                            newwoodworker Level 1

I guess I don't understand the rendering thing. I did that this morning and it seems to run fine. I had shut everything else down, got Sniper and encapsulated the application and that did nothing, got the newest driver for the video card, looks pretty but still jerked. so far, rendering has fixed it, I think. I need to learn more about rendering, what that does and stuff. I did notice that after I renedered the work area, some of the clips have green lines, others do not, but it seems to work.

Any quick tips on when/why to render would be appreciated!

• 11. Re: PE7 Jerks
                              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

>Any quick tips on when/why to render would be appreciated!

Whenever it needs it! Whenever there's a lot of red on your timeline and your computer starts lugging.

BTW, there are also ways to tune your operating system and the program so that it uses less resources. A simple way is to go to Edit/Preferences and turn off Timeline Scrolling.

Also, if you find your timeline is always red and you're constantly rendering, you may want to consider converting your source video before you bring it into Premiere Elements to a file format that the program uses more efficiently.

• 12. Re: PE7 Jerks
                                newwoodworker Level 1

Cool. I promise to kill the timeline scrolling. I'll also watch for red on

the timeline and do the render thing.

But, if this fixes it, what will I have to complain about? PE7 does

everything else great for me!

Tom Hintz, Publisher

NewWoodworker.com LLC

• 13. Re: PE7 Jerks
                                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Beautiful site by the way, Tom! Your videos are very well made!

• 14. Re: PE7 Jerks
                                    newwoodworker Level 1

Thanks!

I work hard at it, usually starting at 3am or so every day. I am just afraid

I will miss something if I stay asleep!

Tom Hintz, Publisher

NewWoodworker.com LLC