8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2009 10:02 AM by the_wine_snob

Why music seems to compress on DVD ?

lanstrad Level 1

I have exported from Premiere CS3 then imported timelines and assets into Encore CS3 for 2 music videos produced under Premiere CS3.

However, when I play the DVD created in Encore, I get changes in the music volume at some spots, just as if a compressor kicks in.

When the same projects are exported through AME instead (H.264 or WMV formats), they play correctly (no music spot compression or volume drops).  And they play ok once online (You Tube) too.

Is there anything I may have overlooked when working with Encore for the audio part ?

To add details :

- One of these projects was exported : video only (AVI) then audio only (24bit, 48000).  The other was exported as single (audio and video) AVI file.

- Both were imported in Encore CS3 in the same way : timeline then asset for the first, and entire AVO for the second.

- Both projects have mainly one audio track, with just occasional audio 2 and 3 tracks for special sounds - but the artefacts I am talking about *do not* arise at these points (so they are certainly not causing compression kick-in).

Thanks for insights,

Rob

• 1. Re: Why music seems to compress on DVD ?
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          (24bit, 48000).

I don't know that Encore will work properly with such media.  Try the Encore forums for more info.

With regards to Premiere, my SOP is to export out .m2v and 16 bit 48 KHz .wav files for use in Encore.  This works without issue.

• 2. Re: Why music seems to compress on DVD ?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Do yourself a favor. You are planning on going to a DVD-Video, right?

Export as elemental streams. Export>Movie with Audio unchecked for each Sequence. Then, Export>AME (Adobe Media Encoder) and choose just the Audio as PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit (the DVD standard). Import the DV-AVI (Video-only) as a Timeline in Encore, and the PCM/WAV as an Asset. Drag your PCM/WAV to the appropriate Timeline, and all will be great.

The only other option will be to encode the Audio to DD AC3, but unless you're running out of space on the DVD, or are doing DD 5.1 SS, that will compress the Audio, and it sounds like you want the best.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Why music seems to compress on DVD ?
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              Then, Export>AME (Adobe Media Encoder) and choose just the Audio

It's easier to just do File>Export>Audio...

Having said that, there should not be any issues exporting a DV file with audio included.  Having them separate is standard only when exporting an .m2v file.

• 4. Re: Why music seems to compress on DVD ?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

You are correct. The OP is not doing DD 5.1 SS, like I do, so that is the easy way. I just grabbed my workflow and did not factor out the SS.

As for Encore and muxed streams, sometimes it works fine, and sometimes it does not. If one wants to make sure that they have the best source files for Encore, they'll go with elemental streams. Those, if done properly, never fail.

Thanks for pointing out the quicker way to Export the Audio. I just wasn't thinking clearly.

Hunt

• 5. Re: Why music seems to compress on DVD ?
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

As for Encore and muxed streams, sometimes it works fine, and sometimes it does not.

For DV?  I'd say it works often enough to call it "all the time".

• 6. Re: Why music seems to compress on DVD ?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

As always, you lead a charmed life. Considering the number of folk, who have issues with Encore and muxed DV-AVI files, and especially muxed MPEG files, obviously some in the world are not so blessed.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Why music seems to compress on DVD ?
                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                      Considering the number of folk, who have issues with Encore and muxed DV-AVI files, and especially muxed MPEG files

My editing experience isn't all that unique.  Which is why I believe the second part, but not the first.  Standard DV files have been a fully supported and functional part of Encore's accepted formats since the program was first released.

• 8. Re: Why music seems to compress on DVD ?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

I would never try to alter your belief system. You may hold as true, anything you want.

What I will say is that every instance, where a muxed Asset file in Encore has caused a problem, using elemental streams has cured those problems. That's all.

Now, I have no issues with Encore, but then I am Exporting DD 5.1 SS, so I'm using elemental streams already. With very few exceptions, I also use Encore's automatic Transcoding setting, so I am Exporting a DV-AVI Type II elemental stream and an AC3 elemental stream. To date, that has worked 100% over many hundreds of Projects, all burning perfectly to disc.

Just like the gaps and the overwriting of Assets, if it works for you great. Hey, I'm the same. I do what works for me. That was why I titled my old Encore article, "Elemental Streams - One Workflow."

I wish you luck,

Hunt