18 Replies Latest reply: Apr 13, 2010 3:30 AM by SteveG(AudioMasters) RSS

Why doesn't ReValver and GR3 work with my Audition?

Blader94

So, i've jusat learned how to use VSTs in Audition, 'cause i wanted to record some guitar via Peavey ReValver. The problem is that none of my guitar plug-ins work! The other plugins (such as EZDrummer, Broomstic Bass, etc.) work properly, but not my guitar stuff! D:

This is what happens when i'm trying to enable the plug-ins:

[IMG]http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn314/nintendo_blader/audition-problem.jpg[/IMG]

Anyone knowing what's wrong?

• 1. Re: Why doesn't ReValver and GR3 work with my Audition?
          SteveG(AudioMasters) Community Member

Well it's like it says on your screenshot - they're not instruments. So why are you trying to put them into a MIDI track as VSTi's?

So, i've jusat learned how to use VSTs in Audition

Anyone knowing what's wrong?

I don't think you've actually figured out VSTs at all...

The idea with plugins like ReValver is that you record your guitar track dry, and apply the VST to the track. You can monitor the effect live in Audition, to give yourself some sort of idea of the sound you are getting, but inevitably there will be a latency delay because it's gone through the sound device twice, and also through the software.Most guitarists don't like this much - the delay is invariably slightly more than they are happy with.

But even though you can monitor the effect, what you actually record is dry, so you get to alter effects settings afterwards if you want to - this is standard practice.

I don't actually know what GR3 is* - the only GR3 I know of is a Hawker Harrier. But as an effect, that would blow you away completely!

*okay, I just figured it out.

• 2. Re: Why doesn't ReValver and GR3 work with my Audition?
            Blader94 Community Member

Thanks! I guess i got it all wrong, like you said.

I'll try to do some recording and se if it works, and then return if it doesn't. Thanks again!

• 3. Re: Why doesn't ReValver and GR3 work with my Audition?

Hello again, still having problems. D:

I did as you said, recorded a clean riff, went into edit view, clicked Effects>ReValver MkIII, chose the amp model i wanted to use, clicked ok, clicked play. Nothing happened to the sound. Same clean little riff as before. Then i'm opening ReValver again, to see why it didn't work. When i'm opening it i see that the amp model isn't there, even though i chose it before. Well, im clicking on the amp again. Then i'm seeing this Preroll/Prostroll preview box, click the box and then click the play button to the left of it. And it worked!

Happy i was, until i realised that this was, as said, just a preview. So i clicked the ok button to close the plug-in and see if it worked non-preview. And my Audition just froze!

So that's where i'm standing at moment. No sound or frozen Audition. What is the problem?

• 4. Re: Why doesn't ReValver and GR3 work with my Audition?

Blader94 wrote:

I did as you said, recorded a clean riff, went into edit view, clicked Effects>ReValver MkIII, chose the amp model i wanted to use, clicked ok, clicked play. Nothing happened to the sound. Same clean little riff as before. Then i'm opening ReValver again, to see why it didn't work. When i'm opening it i see that the amp model isn't there, even though i chose it before. Well, im clicking on the amp again. Then i'm seeing this Preroll/Prostroll preview box, click the box and then click the play button to the left of it. And it worked!

Happy i was, until i realised that this was, as said, just a preview. So i clicked the ok button to close the plug-in and see if it worked non-preview. And my Audition just froze!

So that's where i'm standing at moment. No sound or frozen Audition. What is the problem?

You actually have to apply the effect to the track in EV before it will affect what you've recorded. So if the preview sounds like you want it to, then you stop this, and hit 'okay'. Then you get a message saying something like 'applying ReValver to the selection', and then when you play the result, you will hear the effect. Within the effect itself you can only preview.

But what I was suggesting was that you apply the effect to a track in MV, not EV. This is non-destructive (until you do the final mixdown) so you get the chance to alter things if you want. And that's where you get the option to play the effect into the monitoring system, as long as monitoring is set to 'Audition Mix' - although you should read the help files about 'smart input' and 'always input' just to make sure you've got this clear, otherwise things can get a little confusing.

• 5. Re: Why doesn't ReValver and GR3 work with my Audition?

Thank you, it's working!

Another problem appeared though. I get no sound in my mixdowns. When i'm listening in Audition, i hear everything clearly, but in the final mixdown, no sound at all. I've tried different file formats and different music players to play it, but nothing works. What could be wrong? D:

• 6. Re: Why doesn't ReValver and GR3 work with my Audition?

Blader94 wrote:

Thank you, it's working!

Thought you'd probably get there in the end!

Another problem appeared though. I get no sound in my mixdowns. When i'm listening in Audition, i hear everything clearly, but in the final mixdown, no sound at all. I've tried different file formats and different music players to play it, but nothing works. What could be wrong? D:

Usually when this happens, it's because of something silly - although if you can actually hear it, then it's probably not the master fader set to zero (not unknown...)

Thing to do is to make sure that you are mixing down to a file, which will automatically open in EV. Then you can check exactly what you are getting, and save it from there.

• 7. Re: Why doesn't ReValver and GR3 work with my Audition?

The thing is - i get nothing. No frequency curves at all. It's really weird, since i, as said, can hear everything perfectly before i've exported it. When it after exportion opens in EV - Nothing.

• 8. Re: Why doesn't ReValver and GR3 work with my Audition?

Well in that case it will be something silly - it always is!

But without seeing your entire system, I can't tell at all which silly thing it is...

• 9. Re: Why doesn't ReValver and GR3 work with my Audition?

Oh.

Whaty do you mean with "your entire system"? My entire computer system or just my Adobe Audition system?

Is there any way i can show this to you? I really need help. ;_;

• 10. Re: Why doesn't ReValver and GR3 work with my Audition?

I was going to edit the previous post, but this ridiculous system won't let me - 7 minutes after I've posted it.

The first thing to do is to make sure that in the MV mixer Master channel, that the meters are actually moving, and that the M (mute) button hasn't been hit by mistake. Not looking at the mixer itself before doing a mixdown is probably the most common mistake people make that causes this sort of problem.

Then, if you are using File>Export, make sure that you've selected your source as Master. Also that the mixdown is to be inserted into EV and that it's a Windows PCM file format.

If you are using Edit>Mixdown to new file>Master output in session, then the same thing about the master output applies, but you don't get the export options, so there's less to go wrong...

• 11. Re: Why doesn't ReValver and GR3 work with my Audition?

My export source is master, it's going into EV, and it's a Windows PCM file format. Tried Master output in session too, same problem.

BUT, the metres in my Master channel in the MV mixer isn't moving. So, i guess we've found the problem!

Now it's just the solving of the problem left. Why aren't they moving? I haven't hit mute, and the metre in the singe channel that i'm using is moving. Got any idea?

Oh, i'll post you a screenshot of how it looks, too.

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn314/nintendo_blader/audition-problem2.jpg

• 12. Re: Why doesn't ReValver and GR3 work with my Audition?

Blader94 wrote:

BUT, the metres in my Master channel in the MV mixer isn't moving. So, i guess we've found the problem!

Now it's just the solving of the problem left. Why aren't they moving? I haven't hit mute, and the metre in the singe channel that i'm using is moving. Got any idea?

It's because the channel output is being sent straight to your soundcard, not to the master section - this is the selection you have to make underneath the channel fader. If you send the channel output to a soundcard output, that's exactly what it will do - nothing more, nothing less. The options you have are either to send it directly to the master channel directly, or to a bus. Since at this stage you aren't using a bus (there's absolutely no point with just a single channel), then select Master for the output and try again....

• 13. Re: Why doesn't ReValver and GR3 work with my Audition?

It's working!

Lots, lots and LOTS of thanks, people like you make the internet a happy place!

Oh, and the result of the program working again: http://www.mediafire.com/?gmyymjjodgt

Cheers!

• 15. Re: Why doesn't ReValver and GR3 work with my Audition?
                                    kurscek

I hope someone's still monitor this thread and help me with my problem.

I'm learning to use adobe audition 3 right now, used to work in a much simpler cool edit pro 2.0.

I'm trying to record using guitar rig 3. I can record clean signal fine, and then I can apply the GR 3 effect fine too after.

My problem is this, how do you apply the effect in real time while you're recording?? When I record the guitar I only hear clean (dry) guitar, only afterwrds

can I apply any effect on it.

How can I (while recording) hear the guitar with the GR 3 effect already applied to it?? I saw a video on youtube of someone applying an effect on vocal

in real time, why can't I get that with the guitar?? Many thanks in advance for anyone that can shine a light on my prob, I really need help the only reason

I switched to using Audition is its ability to use vst plugins, and now I'm stuck. Please help..Cheers

• 16. Re: Why doesn't ReValver and GR3 work with my Audition?

kurscek wrote:

My problem is this, how do you apply the effect in real time while you're recording?? When I record the guitar I only hear clean (dry) guitar, only afterwrds can I apply any effect on it.

That's correct - and good practice. That said, a lot of guitarists find themselves in the position of wanting to 'play' the effect, even though that would mean that it couldn't be changed in the mix at all - which is why recording dry is good practice. And that's why you can monitor the effect whilst recording, but not record the results directly - it's absolutely intentional.

There is only one way around this if you have a multichannel sound device (although really it's a waste of time) and that is to route the track you are recording directly to a spare output on your sound device, and loop this back to another input. Then when you record both channels, you get one dry one (the original) and one wet one. But since, when you play the dry one back with the same channel effects on it as you just recorded on the wet channel, it sounds exactly the same. Only you can't alter that track now, but you can alter the dry one to fit the final mix better...

The only real exception to this is what happens when you loop record (as described) only with external devices in the loop - say, an effect pedal. Then what you record on the second channel won't be the same, so the idea has more validity.

• 17. Re: Why doesn't ReValver and GR3 work with my Audition?
                                        kurscek Community Member

Thank you SteveG, thanks for the quick reply.

Actualy I found out the problem with my approach, I forgot to select audition mix option, hehehe silly mistake.

Anyway I have another problem maybe you'll be able to help.

It's about punch in recording, I used to work with cool edit pro 2.0 and in that software you can punch in record on a portion of an existing track that has some flaws. Audition has the same feature but there's a problem with it. Usually when I punch in record, I start the "cursor" some few seconds before the actual "area" i want to replace, the idea is so I can play along the previously recorded track and only start recording exactly on the highlighted area. The problem is when I start to press the record button (the red record button underneath) I cannot hear myself play along the existing track, I would only hear the existing track. I would only start to hear my playing once the "cursor" hits the highlighted area and start recording. Why can't I hear myself play along the existing track before the highlighted area? Why would I only be able to do so once I hit the highlighted area?

Hope you understand my question.

I'll try to put it into example, say I just recorded a solo guitar but there's some mistakes in it. So I highlighted the mistake area and select punch in recording. Then I backed up the "cursor" a few seconds before the highlighted area and then hit the record button. But once the track starts playing I could not hear myself playing, all I hear is just the previously recorded solo, my current playing will not come out in the monitor. And I would only start to hear my playing only when the "cursor" hits the highlighted area and then I can record a new take.

Did I make a mistake? Or is this the "proper" way the audition punch in recording feature works?? I was able to do it the way I want to in cool edit pro 2.0, why won't it work in audition 3??? Please help...

Thank you...cheers.

• 18. Re: Why doesn't ReValver and GR3 work with my Audition?

I think you'll find that this is simply a monitoring issue - almost certainly you'll need to use external monitoring rather than Audition smart monitoring, I suspect. That way you should be able to hear yourself all of the time, and replay the previous track up to the drop-in point. Anyway, that's the way it should work - although I have to say in the same breath that I don't use drop-ins, so really, you need this confirmed either by experiment, or somebody who does.