13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2009 10:55 AM by Jim_Simon

Best quality settings for AME?

Shao Lung Level 1

I am new to CS4 and the workflow changes.....but I do have a question regarding AME. In your best experience, what are the best settings for exporting AVI files to use again Premiere? I used to set my export aettings to no recompression, AVI as the codec. However, it seems that is not an option in AME. I am looking for best PERCEPTIBLE quality, NTSC, standard DV for now.....HD later.I see AME has options for "maximum quality"(what does that mean SPECIFICALLY)and 24 bit depth, but are any of those PERCEPTIBLE?

Thoughts? Thansk!

• 1. Re: Best quality settings for AME?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

As long as you need to edit your timeline again, don't export. Each export will deteriorate due to generation loss unless you use uncompressed or use a visually lossless codec like Lagarith. However both methods will significantly increase file size on your disks. It is better to only export a finished project to the final destination format once. Until that time just keep the original footage and project as they are.

• 2. Re: Best quality settings for AME?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree with Harm.

If this is a one-time Export, using MS DV-AVI Type II should yield very good results. There is compression, and it can be measured. Whether it can be "seen" is another issue. Still, for the ultimate, AVI [Uncompressed], or Lagarith would be lossless, though with those "larger files," that Harm mentions.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Best quality settings for AME?
              Shao Lung Level 1

What I did before in CS3 was to export to and AVU file and uncheck "recompress" - this generally yielded good results in my project - I would like to get as close to that as possible. Is checking "maximum quality" the best way to go about this in AME? I generally will (in my projects) render a "pass 1" of my edit, look at that to make sure everything is ok, then use Magic Bullet Looks to fine tune my final render - which would be pass 2 (pass1 with Movie Looks applied). That render would be my "final". Any suggestions or direction would be great - and thanks!

• 4. Re: Best quality settings for AME?
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Given the long render times of MBL, that makes sense to use pass 1 and pass 2. I do not know if MRQ adds anything to AVI exports. Try it on a short piece using the work area bar. It does for MPEG2-DVD but is also takes 5-10 times as long.

• 5. Re: Best quality settings for AME?
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

then use Magic Bullet Looks to fine tune my final render - which would be pass 2

Don't do that.  Go back to the original and apply the effect there.

• 6. Re: Best quality settings for AME?
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

I thought that Rick meant he encodes in pass 1 his timeline, watches if everything is OK, then returns to his timeline, applies MBL and encodes again (pass 2) from the original plus MBL and that is the end result. I have not gotten the idea that he encodes in pass 1 and then replaces the original timeline with the pass 1 results and proceeds from there. If that is the case, I wholeheartedly agree with you.

• 7. Re: Best quality settings for AME?
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

encodes again (pass 2) from the original plus MBL

That would not be pass 2.  That would simply be pass 1 redone.  I got the clear impression he was applying MBL to the exported 1st pass.  This would create a second level of compression during export.

• 8. Re: Best quality settings for AME?
                        Shao Lung Level 1

Is there a setting in AME that is equal to the former export>movie>AVI(I used default)>uncheck "recompress" option? Also, if I follow the workflow I have been, that is render "pass 1", review, render "pass 2"(with MBL applied) - how much quality would be lost, and would it be noticable to the viewer? I often also do my titles in AE, then place all of my rendered clips on a final timeline and render my DVD final clip from there. I am self-taught, and if there is anything I can do to improve the quality of the final product I am all for it. Should I then check "maximum quality" in AME when I render my AVI's - is this the option that is most like the former versions of PPro (when you UNCHECK the recompress option in "make movie")?

again - thanks for all of your help and advice!

• 9. Re: Best quality settings for AME?
                          digitlman Level 1

If you really need a high quality rendering without eating up too much disk space then H264 is your best friend, it gets stunning results at very low bitrates. it will blow away a DV clip which is over 35mbit data rate with a H264 clip at even 5mbit.

dont believe me then simply render out 10 seconds of color bars from premiere as DV, uncompressed AVI, and h264 @ 3,5,and 10mbit and pull them back into the timeline and compare them. the h264 is razor sharp and the dv is very blurry on all the edges.

• 10. Re: Best quality settings for AME?
                            Shao Lung Level 1

Wil H.264 be a fine format to import to Encore to author my DVD? I have never tried it before and wonder about format conversions and such. Often, what my work flow was in the past (keep in mind I am self-taught) is:

• I would edit - export to Pass 1 (Microsoft AVI uncompressed{in CS3})
                            • view clip. apply some effects, apply Looks(this would be Final clip
                            • place all "final" clips on a new timeline, add titles from AE and export a single large AVI(uncompressed)
                            • import Final large clip into Encore and author from there

Is there a "better" or easier way to do this in CS4? I just want to minimize any degradation of my clips, and without direction in how to render a clip that does not recompress, as in CS3, I am a little confused. I have never tried H.264 as a "final" clip render, but am willing to try if I can use it in Encore.

Any thoughts, and thanks!

• 11. Re: Best quality settings for AME?
                              Jim_Simon Level 8

Wil H.264 be a fine format to import to Encore to author my DVD?

No.  DVD uses only MPEG2.

Is there a "better" or easier way to do this in CS4?

Yes.  Do all your work on the original clips.  Add all effects and titles, including MBL, to those.  Don't create any exports to work with, just work on the originals.

When you're done, then export to MPEG2-DVD for import into Encore.

• 12. Re: Best quality settings for AME?
                                Shao Lung Level 1

Is it "better" to encode in PPRO then let Encore select the best bit rate for your DVD? I have always let Encore do the magic.....BTW, how much quality am I losing by using the workflow I have posted in this thread? Is it much - or can the average viewer see the loss?

Thanks again for your input!

• 13. Re: Best quality settings for AME?
                                  Jim_Simon Level 8

Is it "better" to encode in PPRO then let Encore select the best bit rate for your DVD?

The results should be similar; both use the same encoder.  The advantage of letting Encore do it is that you don't have to worry about bitrate before hand.

But if bitrates don't scare you, the real way to get top quality is to export out a Lagarith intermediary file, then use the free HC Encoder to make the MPEGs for Encore.

can the average viewer see the loss?

In my experience, no.  Especially without something different to compare it to.  But my view is that as a video producer, it's my job to get the best possible results.  The average viewer may not be able to tell that yours isn't as good as it could be, but they might well be able to tell that mine just looks better.