14 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2009 4:20 PM by PopaTim

Remove Clips in Organizer

mrlwalsh1

I am a new Premier Elements user.  I attempted to add some incompatible Vado HD avi files to a project.  I realized the error, but I can not clear the clips from the Organizer.  As soon as I open the project and attempt to delete the clips, the program locks.  How can I delete the clips outside of Premier Elements 7.  I can't locate the catalog file as described in another post for an earlier version of Premier Elements.  I appreciate any help.

• 1. Re: Remove Clips in Organizer
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

As long as it's hard your hard drive, the file will remain in the Organizer in some form.

That doesn't necessarily mean that it's in your project though. To see if it's loaded in your project, click on the Project button under the Edit tab.

If you don't want it there, you can right-click on it and select Clear.

Removing the file from your hard drive and the Organizer catalog is a different process.

• 2. Re: Remove Clips in Organizer
            the_wine_snob Level 9

As Steve points out, there is a difference between something on your HDD and something in your Project. It is one thing to clear Assets from your Project, but be very careful about eliminating it from your HDD. That will delete the Asset from your HDD. Be sure that it is what you wish to do.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Remove Clips in Organizer
              mrlwalsh1 Level 1

Thanks, Steve.  I understand the difference between a clip in the Organizer and in a Project, and I would gladly clear the clip from the Organizer if I could.  Unfortunately, I was attempting to get a HD clip and I must have the settings wrong for the project.  The system locks as soon as I take any action such as right clicking on the clip.  I can't even mouse over the clip icon to see where the clip is located on my hard drive.  The clip icon is white so I can't get a clue from it either.

Is there a file that holds the contents of the Organizer that I can delete to clear the Organizer?  Otherwise, I can only think of reinstalling to fix this problem.  I wish the the software was more forgiving about incompatible files and/or settings.

I appreciate your help

Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 20:21:30 -0600

To: mrlwalsh@hotmail.com

Subject: Remove Clips in Organizer

As long as it's hard your hard drive, the file will remain in the Organizer in some form.

That doesn't necessarily mean that it's in your project though. To see if it's loaded in your project, click on the Project button under the Edit tab.

If you don't want it there, you can right-click on it and select Clear.

Removing the file from your hard drive and the Organizer catalog is a different process.

>

• 4. Re: Remove Clips in Organizer

If you've got Photoshop Elements, you can remove it from the Photo Browser area in the Photoshop Elements Organizer using the right-click option.

In Premiere Elements, you open the Organizer by clicking the Tagging button under the Organize tab. Once it's open, you can right-click on the clip in the Photo Browser area and select Delete.

• 5. Re: Remove Clips in Organizer
                  PopaTim Level 1

Have you tried deleting the project? Its normally located in the 'users documents/adobe/premiere elements' folder iirc. (or c:\users\username\documents' folder for direct pathing.)

The videos are stored in the 'c:\users\username\videos' folder

I'm running Vista btw. XP should be simular.

• 6. Re: Remove Clips in Organizer
                    mrlwalsh1 Level 1

I would clear the organizer as you suggest if things were working normally.  Unfortunately, as soon as I attempt any action after opening a project, Premier Elements locks up.  I need some way to clear the organizer without using the program directly.  I had hoped there is some file that I could delete to clear the Organizer.  Otherwise, I'm stuck and will have to reinstall.

• 7. Re: Remove Clips in Organizer
                      mrlwalsh1 Level 1

Thanks PopaTim, but deleting any existing files does not seem to affect the contents of the Organizer.  The system still locks after any action on my part.

• 8. Re: Remove Clips in Organizer

That's correct, mrlwalsh. As we've been saying, if the file is not in your Project panel, it's not going to have any effect on your project in any event.

But, if you'd like to remove it, you need to open up one of the full-featured Organizer programs.

• 9. Re: Remove Clips in Organizer
                          mrlwalsh1 Level 1

When I launch Premier Elements 7, whether I open an existing project or create a new one, I face the same problem.  The project opens and  I see the Organizer.  Whatever I action I take at that point, the system locks and the only way to close Premier Elements is via the Vista Task manager.  I believe the problem is a problem file in the Organizer.  I have deleted all video files from my PC yet the problem persists.  If  could clear the Organizer outside the Premier Elements program that might help.

I'm unclear about the term "full-featured Organizer program".

Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 19:55:19 -0600

To: mrlwalsh@hotmail.com

Subject: Remove Clips in Organizer

That's correct, mrlwalsh. As we've been saying, if the file is not in your Project panel, it's not going to have any effect on your project in any event.

But, if you'd like to remove it, you need to open up one of the full-featured Organizer programs.

>

• 10. Re: Remove Clips in Organizer

As I've said, you open the Organizer in Premiere Elements by clicking the Tagging button under the Organize tab.

You can also use the Organizer that launches from Photoshop Elements.

But, again, simply because it appears on the Organize tab when you open the program DOES NOT MEAN that the file is in your project! That's just a preview of the Organizer. It will go away as soon as you add another file to your project.

• 11. Re: Remove Clips in Organizer
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

I'm trying to follow this thread, but have to first admit that I do not use Organize/Organizer and do not even own PSE. I use Bridge for all such tasks in my other Adobe programs.

Now for my question: Bridge can be launched from within PS, PrPro, InDesign, Illustrator, etc.(File>Browse), but it can ALSO be launced on it own. Is that possible with the Organizer? I am guessing that it is much more integral to PE and PSE, than Bridge is to the other Adobe apps.

Just curious, as if it CAN be launched as a stand-alone, that might get the OP past the program crashes.

Hunt

• 12. Re: Remove Clips in Organizer

Unlike Bridge, both Premiere Elements and Photoshop Elements have their own Organizers.

However, changing or removing a file in one removes it from both.

• 13. Re: Remove Clips in Organizer
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

Thank you. That was my thinking, but did not know.

Hunt

• 14. Re: Remove Clips in Organizer
                                    PopaTim Level 1

I had once had a problem with a video in a project that caused PRE to hang if I tried to do anything with it, even mousing over it would cause it. I could not delete the video from within PRE's organizer (since that would mean dragging the mouse over it - LOL). I ended up deleting the video via windows explorer and then opening the PRE project where I found the video in the organizer and was now able to delete it there. IIRC the thumbnail for the video was a white screen ...

Anyways after that I delelted the project and started over from scratch.  

Was this not an OK thing to do? It did work for me at least.