4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2009 4:01 PM by Andrey V

How to change where the Temp Projects are stored

digitlman Level 1

Premiere is making temp projects on our C: drives every time we export a project to AME. How can we change this to go to a different folder on a different drive? I dont want to fragment my C drive and i would really prefer if premiere would delete those files after it renders. Actually it would be MUCH better if it simply stored them in ram and then they dissapeared after rendering. right now we have to navigate into a zillion subfolders to find them and delete them. on one of our editors its up to revision 93 of one of the projects.

• 1. Re: How to change where the Temp Projects are stored
          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

AFAIK, you can't change the folder where the AME stores its temp

projects.  You can, however, put a shortcut to that folder on your

Desktop or anywhere else that you want.  Whenever you feel like it, open

the folder and delete the temp projects.

You should also clean out the Media Cache Database on a regular basis. 

In Pr, go to Edit | Preferences | Media and click on the clean button.

-Jeff

• 2. Re: How to change where the Temp Projects are stored
            Andrey V Level 2

You can also set up a Temp folder on C:\Temp or any other drive and then go to System properties > Environment Variables and in the window select Temp variable and Edit value to your likeness and do it for both variables. Also edit System variables for temp folders as well. Now it will be some where you can easy access it and clean that folder when needed.Temp location.jpg

• 3. Re: How to change where the Temp Projects are stored
              Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

I sort of doubt that will control an Adobe generated TEMP file.  But I am willing to be proven wrong if someone tries it and is successfull.

There is another item to help when you go to Jeff's suggested "Edit | Preferences | Media" you can check "Save Media Cache file next to originals when possible"  This will keep them off the C: drive.

• 4. Re: How to change where the Temp Projects are stored
                Andrey V Level 2

It will not control generated Temp file by AME instead AME will use the default windows Temp folder location and it will store its temp there. And basically you are changing Windows default location for Temp folder. So once it is changed all programs will store temp files in that location. I do this on all of my PCs so that I have ease of access to it just for cleaning purposes.

Preferences are designed for scratch and peak files but not for AME temp file that is created just for rendering. That particular file is using windows default Temp location folder.