8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2009 11:54 AM by the_wine_snob

youtube Pre tutorials are very helpful

guy catelli

i have found that several youtube tutorials have been very helpful on getting me oriented to Pre Elem 7.

i'm not talking about the slick, commercial ones (that drone on and on and on).  i'm talking about the slam-bam-thank-you-ma'am ones made by kids whose voice is still changing -- they're doing a great service, imo.  (i'm surprised that Adobe doesn't include an instructional disc.)

• 1. Re: youtube Pre tutorials are very helpful
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

There are also a number of free, basic tutorials and tips on the products page at http://Muvipix.com (as well as a host of free motion backgrounds, custom-created DVD templates, stock footage and licensed music).

My new books, based on my five years experience as forum host here, are also a nice how-to source!

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: youtube Pre tutorials are very helpful
            guy catelli Level 1

"My new books, based on my five years experience as forum host here, are also a nice how-to source! "

ah so!

• 3. Re: youtube Pre tutorials are very helpful
              the_wine_snob Level 9

With PrPro suites, they do include a DVD from Total Training. It's basically an overview of the basics of the programs in the suite, but is very helpful. There are also discounts on the other, more indepth, training programs from Total Training.

Lynda.com is another good resource, though I do not know if she has a series on PE.

I second Steve's suggestion on Muvipix. Plenty of great tutorials and articles there.

Though it is geared towards PrPro, many of the tutorials on the PrPro Wiki can be easily translated to much of PE. One may have to "read between the lines," but they still apply. I often link to several PrPro tutorials, for PE users, because things are done, in general, the same way - just the name of the button, or its location, may have changed.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: yes, but ...
                guy catelli Level 1

"...just the name of the button, or its location, may have changed."

yes, but those are precisely to two major problems!  

but, thanks for the Wiki cite, Hunt.

• 5. Re: yes, but ...
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

I do agree that it can be an issue. I always have to caution myself "which forum am I in?" when replying. As you saw in your other thread, I was easily confused about how something so basic as Titler differed program to program. It just happens, and I often have to keep a copy of PE and PrPro open on the machine, just to check.

One observation that I have made: The PE people seem to be more open to tutorials, and articles on PrPro, than the other way around. The PE forum has a Tips & Tricks sub-forum. It's a great place for just that - articles that offer tips and tricks to get the most out of one's program. Some of the stuff is nearly FAQ material, though not quite. When I link to one of the articles there, I usually hear complaints from the PrPro side of the street - "we didn't ask about PE. We asked about PrPro!" even when the material is 100% percent applicable, like Burning a DVD for the best chance of playing on a set-top player.

Do not turn your back on many of the Pr and PrPro tutorials. If you have a problem with the translation, someone here can probably help you with that. It's, as I said, finding the appropriate button/icon in PE, and little more. That, or defining some of the terms that do differ, program to program.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: yes, but ...
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

As an aside, I do strongly recommend that one read the entire FAQ section, to the right of these forum pages. Steve has put in a great deal of time trying to save the old FAQ's, since the forum changeover, and covers a lot of ground in those articles.

Next, the Tips & Tricks, which are often missed, contain a lot of useful info, with links to utilities, and tutorials.

I'd suggest that along with Steve's book, one spend a day, just reading everything in those two sub-fora. Probably 70-80% of all problems and questions are covered somewhere in those.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: youtube Pre tutorials are very helpful
                      guy catelli Level 1

also, does Pre Ele 7 not come with a manual?  is buying one for $20 the only way to get one?

• 8. Re: youtube Pre tutorials are very helpful
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

PrE does not come with a manual, though the Help files (F1) can be very useful.

There are two books that come highly recommended:

1.) Steve Grisetti's Muvipix Guide to PrE7

2. ) the Premiere Elements 7 Missing Manual

Adobe has been cutting back on all manuals, though many are contained in .PDF files on the installation discs. As I am a "book-person," I will order them from Adobe, where they are available. Many folk had rather have the F1 files, or the .PDF, but I like to sit in an airport lounge, or on a long flight with my "book."

Good luck,

Hunt