6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2010 5:18 PM by Zabeth69

Could not render the database. Not enough memory.

pavelz_cs4

This seems to be a big bug in Fireworks CS4. I am building a 10 page website. I only had the opportunity to insert about 10 high quality images into the project, and then tried saving the project as a Fireworks PNG. It appeared to Save successfully, however from that point on, any object I would click on, any layer I would select a message would appear.

"Could not render the database. Not enough memory."

Has anyone seen this before? How can I fix this?

I tried doing a workaround. I tried opening the saved file from Fireworks CS3. Before opening, it displays a message about insufficient permission in the registry. I click OK, and it opens in CS3. I can finally edit the project and make changes, and save it without problems. However, even after saving in CS3, I cannot open it in CS4 without getting the error message. It is not only on my machine. I send my project to others to see if they can open it via CS4, and they can't either. They get the same message.

I attached the PNG file, this is for a school project.

Any help is most appreciated.

• 1. Re: Could not render the database. Not enough memory.
          Zabeth69 Level 5

I see this is your first visit to the Adobe Forums! Welcome!

High-quality images may be necessary for a beautiful website, but high-quality images need not be 3.2 megabytes, which is what yours weighs in at...

To prepare .pngs for the web, go through the optimization process in Fireworks. File > Image Preview > will bring up a dialog box where you can play around with the output formats and file sizes to your heart's content, including giving you a visual of the differences in quality per different format. Looking at the top of the view window on that dialog box, you can also see the size and rendering-time of each format. Go for as low a file-size as you can, for the rendering quality you want to maintain.

Then, export your image using that dialog box in a new format (if you wish) or as a png (less well supported by browsers), preserving your editable png 'off-site' or in a 'working files' folder.

By this means, you will greatly enlarge your website's capacity for nice-looking images.

I have left aside the issue of using Fireworks to create websites; there are better ways that produce cleaner code, like Dreamweaver.

Beth

• 2. Re: Could not render the database. Not enough memory.
            Zabeth69 Level 5

I'm relieved to hear that. So I trust that your images are all nice and small, file-size-wise.

Okay! I trust you have already defragged your hard drive and turned off all those nasty TSRs that eat up your RAM. Fileswapping is usually what slows my computer down.

Check for scripts that might be running wild in the background. Can't think what they might be, but if something is looping and shouldn't be, you'll end up with less free RAM to move around in.

I haven't noticed the problem with lots of layers, but I haven't been watching, either. Have you experimented with turning off the layers that you are not actually exporting? I understand the  convenience in keeping all those layers in there...it's a big timesaver in editing throughout a project. If all the layers are not needed in the image export, however, turn them off temporarily. That might save some elbow room.

It sounds as if your system fits the basics, but you might check:

Windows

• 1GHz or faster processor
            • Microsoft® Windows® XP with Service Pack 2 (Service Pack 3 recommended) or Windows Vista® Home Premium, Business, Ultimate, or Enterprise with Service Pack 1 (certified for 32-bit Windows XP and Windows Vista)
            • 512MB of RAM (1GB recommended)
            • 1GB of available hard-disk space for installation; additional free space required during installation (cannot install on flash-based storage devices)
            • 1,024x768 display (1,280x800 recommended) with 16-bit video card
            • DVD-ROM drive
            • Broadband Internet connection required for online services*

Mac OS

• PowerPC® G5 or multicore Intel® processor
            • Mac OS X v10.4.11–10.5.4
            • 512MB of RAM (1GB recommended)
            • 1GB of available hard-disk space for installation; additional free space required during installation (cannot install on a volume that uses a case-sensitive file system or on flash-based storage devices)
            • 1,024x768 display (1,280x800 recommended) with 16-bit video card
            • DVD-ROM drive
            • Broadband Internet connection required for online services*

Rather than jumping to think it's a bug, try a test with 9 layers, or 8 layers. If only 10 layers and up provide problems, file a bug/feature report or contact someone in support.

As this is a user forum, we (other users) neither speak for Adobe nor know everything about the applications from a support viewpoint, so while we're always willing to offer opinions and frequently solutions, real bugs are not in our bailiwick.

Perhaps someone with a multi-layer difficulty can chime in here.

Beth

• 3. Re: Could not render the database. Not enough memory.
              Dave Hogue Level 2

When I have encountered this error, it has usually been in one of two situations:

(1) multiple FW files open at the same time, usually more than 5 or 6, and some of them were bigger files with lots of pages and layers. The error usually disappears when I close some of the other files and free up some memory, but it does not persist and occur whenever I open the file.

(2) a corrupt symbol in the document causes the memory or infamous "internal error occurred" errors. The error continues to appear until the symbol is deleted and re-created, sometimes when I open the file, and sometimes only when I try to export, print, or save the file.

I think that some people have also connected using corrupt font files to problems with Fireworks files.  If you remember which fonts you used in the file, you could try temporarily uninstalling them, rebooting, and trying to open the file again.  You'll get a "font not found - maintain appearance?" dialog, but if the file opens, you may have found the cause of the problems. If it does not open, then there may be another corruption problem that will be harder to track down and fix.

Dave

• 4. Re: Could not render the database. Not enough memory.
                Zabeth69 Level 5

Hmmm... I wonder if there is some kind of "acid test" to check out fonts ahead of time.

Beth

• 5. Re: Could not render the database. Not enough memory.  8GB Mac Pro
                  swedeberry

I am brand spakin' new to Fireworks and I have a brand spankin' new Mac Pro with 8GB of memory and I am getting this message trying to open the first file I have cretaed.  Th file is only 471kb and contains 3 rectangles in a vector drawing I created from scratch with some styles applied and some colors changed.  It is not a sophisticated or big file and I have a super duper computer and memory, why would I be getting this message?  I only have a couple other programs running like I tunes and firefox and text edit.  Some of the rectabgles are not visible when I first open the file and only become available when I zoom in.  I am learning this program from scratch and thought/heard it was a very powerful program.  If it cannot handle a few gradient rectangles I am worried that I will waste my time learning a tool I cannot depend on.

• 6. Re: Could not render the database. Not enough memory.  8GB Mac Pro
                    Zabeth69 Level 5

Hi, Swedeberry, welcome to the Forum!

You may get more responses if you post a fresh thread. But I will tell you that a web page that is 471kb is a VERY heavy web page.

When you finish creating your image in Fireworks, save it as a png file in a folder outside your site folder. That will maintain its editability. THEN, do File > Image Preview and choose an output/export file type that does your file justice but makes the output file as small as possible without losing quality. You have a choice between several levels of gif, of png, with or without transparency for those two, or a wide range of quality on jpg files. You will not be exporting and using a vector file, you will be using a bitmap file. Export your image to the images file in your site.

Also remember to export the file at the dimensions you will be using it in the webpage, to further economize on bytes.

Fireworks IS a very powerful program. When you have experimented and learned how to use it, you will understand that. The road blocks you are getting now are probably only due to your short learning time with it.

Beth