13 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2009 6:38 AM by Printer_Rick

Color names?

ethereal1192 Level 1

I've had clients change the names of Pantone colors to whatever they want to name it (calling it Forest Green or Rustic Brown etc). This gets very difficult for me because I am not able to find out what pantone color it is.

Is there a way to find out what Pantone color it was originally, before the name change?

• 1. Re: Color names?
          Ozzwoman9 Level 4

I don't know of any way to figure that one out, and most likely if they renamed the swatch they probably adjust the color values so that they are nothing similar to the pantone they selected or they created all new swatches. Your best bet would probably be asking the customer for the pantone numbers.

• 2. Re: Color names?
            Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Yes a very simple way you select all the art that has spot colors

2. Go to Edit>Edit Colors>Recolor Art

3. Select the spot color library you want from the swatch pull down bottom center

4. Then near the top of the dialog there is a folder icon with a plus to make make a new color group

that will give you a new color group with the correct pms colors.

Picture 3.png

Picture 4.png

Picture 5.png

If you have a swatch that is not coloring an object and want to know just make a temporary shape and fill it.

• 3. Re: Color names?
              ethereal1192 Level 1

Never used Re-Color before. That's very helpful. Thank you!

So using that, it will give me the original Pantone color? I just tried it out and noticed that the CMYK breakdown for the Pantone color it gave me and the color that had been renamed previously was a different CMYK mix (only slightly different but not identical). Theoretically, if the color is the same, and Re-Color is simply assigning the actual name to the color then the CMYK mix should be the same for both, shouldn't they? 

Or does it simply give you the closest PMS color available to the CMYK that's there if it doesn't match a PMS exactly?

It's possible that the color mix had been altered as well after the color name was changed so maybe that's why there's the difference.

• 4. Re: Color names?
                Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

If they change the color mix then it is no longer a book color but a 

color the printer will have to mix. that is costly as they have to 

ruin several cans of ink so warn your client of the cost of doing such 

a thing.

even if it only covers a small object the ink has to cover the plate 

that could be four cans of ink to make one color.

But recolor art is the most accurate conversion I have seen in any 

application.

• 5. Re: Color names?
                  Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

BTW when a answer is given that works you should mark it so that other users can see where to look.

Marking an answer is good the points of course are a bit silly.

I would love a history of objects or some kind of log showing the history of the document and al the changes made for this purpose.

So one one see what a client did as well as what you have done yourself to the document.

• 6. Re: Color names?
                    ethereal1192 Level 1

Okay, thanks for the help.

• 7. Re: Color names?
                      Printer_Rick Level 4

ethereal1192 wrote:

I've had clients change the names of Pantone colors to whatever they want to name it (calling it Forest Green or Rustic Brown etc). This gets very difficult for me because I am not able to find out what pantone color it is.

Is there a way to find out what Pantone color it was originally, before the name change?

I use a trick in Photoshop. Type the CMYK number values in the color picker. Then click on Color Libraries, and select Solid to Process in the pull down.

Provided your client only changed the name, and not the CMYK book values you will know the color number.

However this involves Photoshop. I do not know how to do this in Illustrator. Maybe Wade knows how it could be done. If there is a way I'd like to know about it...

• 8. Re: Color names?
                        Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Use the Recolor dialog and select the same color book library there 

you are make anew color group.

• 9. Re: Color names?
                          Printer_Rick Level 4

Oh I see, you just have to make art using the color first, then select it. My feeble mind is beginning to wrap around this. I didn't read your earlier post closely enough first time around...

Thanks, this will come in handy.

This method is interesting, it works very much like Photoshop. If the custom color is not an exact match for a Pantone build, the color Illustrator selects can change, depending on the document CMYK color space, and rendering intents in color settings. But that is only to be expected.

• 10. Re: Color names?
                            Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

It is as far as I can see still the most accurate I have come across.

• 11. Re: Color names?
                              Printer_Rick Level 4

I wouldn't agree with most accurate. The result is always the same as the Photoshop method, as long as all CM variables match. And it should be the same.

That being said, I am very glad to know about how to get the Pantone match using Live Color in Illustrator, now I don't have to jump to Photoshop. Also in Illy you can do multiple swatches all at once, which can save time.

Now if there's a way to achieve this color match in InDesign? I don't know, maybe I will post a thread in that forum...

• 12. Re: Color names?
                                Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Perhaps I should have wrote the fastest most accurate way.

• 13. Re: Color names?
                                  Printer_Rick Level 4

No, it's not the most accurate, it's the same. And if you're in Photoshop, you shouldn't be expected to jump over to Illy, draw a box, color it, and use Recolor Art to find the Pantone number, you would just use the color picker in Photoshop - a faster process in that instance.

I'm not trying to argue here, I think it's great that a method exists in both applications. Thanks again for the information.