7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2009 9:41 AM by bmohnsen3

Shockwave problem

bmohnsen3

Hi Folks

I have been out of the country for three weeks - but I am still having a problem with saving one file as a shockwave.

I have looked and looked for the problem but I cannot find it. It saves fine for Mac and Windows projector - but it throws a fatal error when I try to publish as a shockwave.

Any ideas as to what problem would flow through the publishing as projector process but crash the publish as shockwave.

Any help would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Shockwave problem
          Chunick Level 3

bmohnsen3 wrote:

Hi Folks

I have been out of the country for three weeks - but I am still having a problem with saving one file as a shockwave.

I have looked and looked for the problem but I cannot find it. It saves fine for Mac and Windows projector - but it throws a fatal error when I try to publish as a shockwave.

Any ideas as to what problem would flow through the publishing as projector process but crash the publish as shockwave.

Any help would be appreciated.

I'm guessing that you have a previous post here outlining the problem?... but since there's no link...

1) What version of Director?

2) Are you using any Xtras?... and are they Shockwave Safe?

3) Have you tried publishing a new project to shockwave that simply has a 'go the frame' script in it? (make sure to clear the default Xtras that get set)

4) What platform are you publishing on? (probably not that important, but still could be useful info)

5) Have you tried reinstalling Director on the same machine or on another machine? (this would be more difficult with D11+ than with MX2004 and below)

6) Do you run any other Adobe products besides Director if your version is D11+?

7) Could you upload your file somewhere so we can download and test, or if you cannot due to NDA, etc. then can you reproduce the error with a bare minimum project file and upload that somewhere for download?

• 2. Re: Shockwave problem
            bmohnsen3 Level 1

1) Mac 11.5

2) I have another application (that uses the same extras) that publishes to Shockwave fine - still.

3) See 2 above

4) Mac OS 10.5.7

5) No - because other apps publish -- and as you have said - it is not that easy

6) Dreamweaver, photoshop, acrobat, bridge, flash, Illustrator, InDesign - CS3

7) I would love to upload it - but it is 95 mb

Thanks for helping

• 3. Re: Shockwave problem
              Chunick Level 3

bmohnsen3 wrote:

1) Mac 11.5

2) I have another application (that uses the same extras) that publishes to Shockwave fine - still.

3) See 2 above

4) Mac OS 10.5.7

5) No - because other apps publish -- and as you have said - it is not that easy

6) Dreamweaver, photoshop, acrobat, bridge, flash, Illustrator, InDesign - CS3

7) I would love to upload it - but it is 95 mb

Thanks for helping

Yikes. This is a tough one. There simply might be an error in one of the members or something along that nature that becomes a problem only when publishing to shockwave... Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like there's going to be an easy solution or troubleshooting avenue to explore. The only thing I can suggest is to rebuild the project and test alot by publishing to shockwave as you're re-building it. Maybe you'll then get lucky and come across the error that's preventing you from publishing... one last thing, have you used the 'Save and Compact' feature when saving your project? (I'm grasping for straws at this point)

• 4. Re: Shockwave problem
                bmohnsen3 Level 1

At one point - I had about six spots in the movie (each between two markers) with one additional cast member (text). Everytime I attempted to enter one of these spots - the program would crash.

I deleted the six cast members - and put the next in six different casts. Then I deleted the frames involved and inserted new frames where I put the six casts - all works well - might this have some lingering effect? But, if yes, then why only for Shockwave?

• 5. Re: Shockwave problem
                  bmohnsen3 Level 1

I mentioned this in the previous thread (before my vacation) - but I don't think I mentioned it here-

When I start to publish in shockwave - the dsw folder is created and the movies are put into it.

Then 1.3 mb of the shockwave is created and then it goes into fatal error.

• 6. Re: Shockwave problem
                    Chunick Level 3

bmohnsen3 wrote:

At one point - I had about six spots in the movie (each between two markers) with one additional cast member (text). Everytime I attempted to enter one of these spots - the program would crash.

I deleted the six cast members - and put the next in six different casts. Then I deleted the frames involved and inserted new frames where I put the six casts - all works well - might this have some lingering effect? But, if yes, then why only for Shockwave?

I'm not exactly sure why, but the process to create a shockwave file is going to be different in some way and that difference is where it was causing the fatal error... I have heard of other developers who have run into similar problems and solved it in a similar way... and they mentioned it was some sort of corruption in the cast member.

• 7. Re: Shockwave problem
                      bmohnsen3 Level 1

Well it solved it for Mac and Windows projectors - but not for Shockwave.

Have you heard how they solved it for Shockwave.

I just went through each frame and all is well - I made sure that the cast members were empty - is there any way to permanently get rid of those empty cast members - I would guess not.

Thanks for all your assistance so far.

Anyone else have a suggestion?