16 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2009 3:43 PM by the_wine_snob

Noob Question 21: How to select specific portion of clip on import?

SuntowerSystems

With the Project panel open, you drag source files onto the time line. But they always get copied in from their start position. Is there a way to preview the source until you get to the point you want to put into the timeline and create a clip that -starts- at that selected viewing position? (Yes, I did look at the manual for 2-3 minutes but didn't get where to search.)

TIA,

---JC

• 1. Re: Noob Question 21: How to select specific portion of clip on import?
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Use the Media Browser. You'll still import the whole clip (there is no way to NOT do this), but you can set ins and outs on the clip before dropping it in your project bin or timeline.

EDIT: I misread your question. While my answer would still apply, what you want to do in your case is to double-click the clip in the Project window or drag it from the Project Window to the Source Monitor (the player-do-hickey to the left of the Program Monitor). Here you can set ins and outs before committing and edit to the timeline. Usually, this is much faster and easier than editing in the timeline itself... usually.

• 2. Re: Noob Question 21: How to select specific portion of clip on import?
            Suntower Level 1

OK, but if I've already used a particular clip many times in a project and I alter the Video In and Video Out, won't I mess up all the other instances of this file in the project? IOW: will that adjust the in/out for all the clips I've previously used as well as the new one?

TIA,

---JC

• 3. Re: Noob Question 21: How to select specific portion of clip on import?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

You can drag (or Dbl-click) the Source Clip to the Source Monitor, and set the In & Out Points as normal. Then you can save that "edited" Clip to the Project Panel for later use in its edited state.

Good luck,

Hunt

[Edit] Forgot to add that you want to make it a Subclip to save. You can name/rename that Subclip to suit.

• 4. Re: Noob Question 21: How to select specific portion of clip on import?
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                OK, but if I've already used a particular clip many times in a project and I alter the Video In and Video Out, won't I mess up all the other instances of this file in the project?

No. You are setting the In & Out Points for the instance of that Clip. Each instance can be the same, or can be different. Only the source Clip will remain the same - each instance will be unique.

This also taxes one's system less than Subclips. Back in PrPro 2.0 Subclips were real resource hogs, but as of CS3, things seem to have gotten much better.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Noob Question 21: How to select specific portion of clip on import?
                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                  Is there a way to preview the source until you get to the point you want to put into the timeline and create a clip that -starts- at that selected viewing position?

Seriously?

• 6. Re: Noob Question 21: How to select specific portion of clip on import?
                    Suntower Level 1

Yes.

Maybe I'm using the wrong terminology: I thought a 'clip' was what you see in the TimeLine. I was concerned that if I preview a -File- in the Project, changed the in/out there and then dragged that onto the TimeLine, I would be changing the start point of every other instance (clip?) derived from that File.

Or maybe I'm dummer than a bag o' hammers. Sorry. I've created a couple of videos that I care about and I've had just enough disasters so far that I don't want to do anything that can't be 'undone'.

TIA,

---JC

• 7. Re: Noob Question 21: How to select specific portion of clip on import?
                      Colin Brougham Level 6

Bill's right, but an important addendum: if you double-click a clip in the timeline, you can load that instance of the clip into the Source Monitor, where you can trim the in/out. This WILL affect that instance of the clip in the timeline, though not any others. However, it can quickly mess up a timeline if you're not paying attention to what you're working on in the Source monitor. You can tell the difference by looking at the name of the clip in the dropdown box in the source monitor; if it's just a clip name, then you're working on an as-yet unused instance of the clip. However, if you see "Sequence Name: Clip Name: Timecode where Clip is used in Said Sequence", then you know you're working on a clip instance that's already in use in the sequence.

• 8. Re: Noob Question 21: How to select specific portion of clip on import?
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

Yes.

Maybe I'm using the wrong terminology:

No.  You just need a basic education in NLEs first.  This is editing 101.  It's the kind of question that makes us think "If you have to ask, you aren't ready to use this software".

Just imagine stepping into a car for your road test and asking the DMV person "How do I start the car?"  He'd step out and call you a cab.  Instant flunk.

My recommendation would be to go through the manual (if you have one) or Help file completely before you start editing any projects.  Try everything you learn as you learn it.  Go in sequence, don't skip around.  Look up any words you don't fully understand.

It's OK to be new to Premiere.  But you should at least know your video and editing basics first.

• 9. Re: Noob Question 21: How to select specific portion of clip on import?
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

Let's say you have a 30 minute clip in your project. You drag it into the source monitor, set in and out points and drag it to the timeline. You then add a couple of other clips to the timeline and now you want to add a second instance of clip 1 with different in and out points to your timeline. Select the clip in the project monitor, drag it to the source monitor, set new in and out points, drag it to the timeline and you have a second instance of the original clip. You can repeat that as often as you wish without modifying existing in and out points. Be aware that if you use "locate in project" you can easily foul up. You really need to drag the original clip from the project window to the source monitor, because if you double click the clip in the timeline, so it appears in the source monitor, you will get things messed up rapidly.

• 10. Re: Noob Question 21: How to select specific portion of clip on import?
                            Suntower Level 1

At -my- American drivers test? I found that saying, 'I have always depended upon the kindness of strangers' and batting my eyelashes worked pretty good. Thanks for your concern. Hopefully, I shant run down on any innocent pixels in trying to earn while I learn.

---JC

• 11. Re: Noob Question 21: How to select specific portion of clip on import?
                              Colin Brougham Level 6

Using Match Frame ('M' key, at least on my keyboard) is another way to achieve this. It will give you a "fresh" instance of the clip in the source monitor that can be re-marked and edited as needed.

(Harm, I know you're aware of this; I'm just adding that for the OP's benefit.)

• 12. Re: Noob Question 21: How to select specific portion of clip on import?
                                Colin Brougham Level 6

Well played...

Stay safe out there!

• 13. Re: Noob Question 21: How to select specific portion of clip on import?
                                  Suntower Level 1

I think I'm getting it. Thanks for the very clear example. -Very- helpful.

I'm still getting my head 'round what stuff propagates to the 'children' and what doesn't.

One mental issue for me is that in DAWs a 'clip' is the object in the Premiere timeline. If you copy one of those objects to somewhere else and make a change to it, you have a very clear choice as to whether any changes are 'grandfathered' 'Pakked? '  to all similar clips or whether each object remains it's independence. But the original source file (what I see in the Project Window) is never touched.

In Premiere, it seems too easy to make a mistake like this. For example, I can have -several- instances of the same source file (eg. AVI) in the Project Window and I can't easily tell which goes with which objects in the TimeLine. (Probably lesson #2 in the NLE 101 class). I wish there was a way to immediately -see- which objects in the timeline belong to a given clip in the Project Window. And I wish it wasn't possible to have two clips with the same name...even if they do refer to the same source AVI.

Any tips on how one avoids selecting the wrong instance?

Thanks Again,

---JC

• 14. Re: Noob Question 21: How to select specific portion of clip on import?
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Colin,

Good point and worth noting. The Clip needs to come from the Project Panel, and not the instance of it on the Timeline. I do not want JC modifying the instance(s) on the Timeline, or I'll never hear the end of it...

Hunt

• 15. Re: Noob Question 21: How to select specific portion of clip on import?
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

"Stella!"

I think that you are about to get it. Just to make sure, the Video Clip in the Project Panel is what each instance is based on. The In & Out Points can be set from the Source Monitor or by Click-dragging on the Head or Tail of that instance of it in the Timeline (plus another way I will not go into).

You have not altered that source Video Clip, only the instance of it in the Timeline.

Just make sure that you follow Colin's instruction to NOT Dbl-click on any of the instances of that Clip, unless that is the one that you DO wish to change.

For what you are asking (if I read it correctly), you will want sevral instances, that are all different to some degree. They will be based on the, let's just call it the "master Clip" for now, and it's still sitting safely in the Project Panel, waiting until you call upon it again.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 16. Re: Noob Question 21: How to select specific portion of clip on import?
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

JC,

It's not all that different here.

You've got your source Video Clip, we'll call it "Octomom."

You want one of her "children" so you Dbl-click her, and she appears in the Source Monitor. You set the In & Out Points and drag her to the Timeline. Along the way, she morphs into her first "child," child #1. You need another, different child. Repeat the process and the same thing happens. This is child #2. You keep going with this, until you have all of the children that you need. Now, do NOT delete the Octomom, as her children will disappear with her and you'll get that famous "Media Offline" message in 18 of your favorite languages.

You can go in and manipulate child #1, or #2, or so on. You can also manipulate the Octomom, and she'll morph into yet another child, when you drag her to the Timeline.

I'll stop there, before I get hit for either off-color or political statements in the forum.

Good luck,

Hunt