15 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2009 9:55 AM by the_wine_snob

Files Lost

philbu2

Hi,

I was rendering a project in the timeline overnight. When I checked in the morning, there was a dialogue box saying something along the lines of premiere had encountered an error (may have said “unknown”, it wasn’t specific). According to the Progress dialogue, it had been rendering fine until 12 minutes shy of completion when the error came up and the program stopped.

I had no choice but to close premiere to get out of it. After that, I wanted to re-open the project, but on opening premiere, it did not give me any choices for projects to open, as it usually does. I went to Auto-Save folder and opened the project from there. As I ran through the timeline, I saw that none of the files had been rendered and that about 75% of the clips were now “Media Offline”.

I went to my scratch disk and discovered that those particular files had disappeared. I searched all drives in vain, just for drill, none of the files are found anywhere.

I haven’t messed with the disk, so as not to lose anything permanently, and got a free file recovery app, and it found a few of the missing on the scratch disk, but not all. I chose not to recover them at the moment and bought a well known recovery app to double-check, it’s running a second time right now, because it didn’t seem to see any lost files the first run – weird.

What the heck happened?!  Any suggestions?

I'm computer savvy, but pretty new to Premiere CS4, and needless to say, this is killing me.

Vista 64

Intel i7

CS4

Healthy 6 month old scratch disk

thnx

phil

• 1. Re: Files Lost
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Mind reader: "Hardware problem or something else"

Do do not give us much to go on. Provide details. Maybe look here: Some suggestions

• 2. Re: Files Lost
            philbu2 Level 1

I posed the question in the hope that someone else might recognize this issue from experience. I'll be happy to answer any other questions with more detail.

thnx

• 3. Re: Files Lost
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Since about Pr 5.0 (not PrPro), I've not heard of files being "eaten." This is an odd one.

Here, I think that it could be very important that you tell us all about your I/O sub-system, i.e. your HDD's. Give full details, plus how you have them allocated.

I'm also hoping that you were working with copies of all of your Assets.

For file recovery, I recommend Stellar-Phoenix. It is the best that I have ever used. Be careful, as if you overwrite the space where the files resided, you will likely never recover them.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Files Lost
                philbu2 Level 1

A friend who uses Mac and FCP, suggested I try Adobe forums and predicted this would be a real stumper.

You can bet I will back up assets from now on, nuts.

Thanks for the recovery app recommendation and right, i know about putting recovery app on different drive and to avoid overwriting.

I have 4 Seagate Barracuda internal SATA drives, 7200 rpm, all NTSF, no RAID. C and G are 500 GB, E and F are 750 GB

C: OS and programs

E: Scratch

F: Empty

G: Music, various backup files from other sources, etc

• 5. Re: Files Lost
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

philbu2 wrote:

I posed the question in the hope that someone else might recognize this issue from experience. I'll be happy to answer any other questions with more detail.

thnx

These kind of problems are rather unheard of, so previous experience does not help. As to answering the questions linked to in my previous post, I have not seen those answers. Maybe look again, read carefully and use the included links.

A friend who uses Mac and FCP, suggested I try Adobe forums and predicted this would be a real stumper.

Yeah, well he would probably prefer to rely on mind readers and truth-sayers, than well founded advise. OTOH, he uses a MAC and truth be told, they NEVER have problems, right...???

You only end up with a stumper, if you make it so.

• 6. Re: Files Lost
                    Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Try this:  Take a look at your C: drive as follows--"C:\Users\YOUR USER NAME\AppData\Local\Temp" and see if you have a copy of your project file.  Try opening it!

• 7. Re: Files Lost
                      philbu2 Level 1

Thanks for the suggestion, Bill, and I went through all User\AppData folders by hand, there is a somewhat older project folder, but again, premiere asks to locate those clip files and they just don't seem to be present, certainly not where they are supposed to be, on the scratch disk. More eveidence is that some of the clip files did survive in that location. It would be great if I could find where any copies are, but doubtful they'd be moved, they were deleted.

I did find a folder with what looks like a whole bunch of rendered files from that date. I think it was the Encoded folder on the scratch disk, but chckdsk is running right now, so can't access. And I wouldn't know what to do with them anyway, at this point. Could I move them into the timeline? Hmmm.

I'll try file recovery and will then run seatools or some such to check that drive. On inspection of various error logs, it looks like that drive dropped off line for a moment, then reappeared, but too late, a real clusterf_k ensued.

Thanks!

• 8. Re: Files Lost
                        Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Is your drive Segate 7200.11 drive?  These drives have had problems but usually it is not an intermittant problem.

• 9. Re: Files Lost
                          Phil Griffith Level 2

I believe you said that the files that were lost were on the scratch disk? If so, were they rendered files or capture files, etc.

• 10. Re: Files Lost
                            philbu2 Level 1

Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST3750330NS 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5

The 7200.11 has a slightly diff model number

• 11. Re: Files Lost
                              philbu2 Level 1

I believe you said that the files that were lost were on the scratch disk? If so, were they rendered files or capture files, etc.

They were capture files - 11 still exist on the scratch, but another 16 are gone

• 12. Re: Files Lost
                                the_wine_snob Level 9
                                They were capture files - 11 still exist on the scratch, but another 16 are gone

Rather than attempt to recover those, I would recapture, but you might want to think about taking that HDD our of the mix. I'd look into sending it back to Seagate, if the warranty is still in effect.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS your Render files will not replace the actual capture files, at least not easily. It might work, if you did Render/Replace, or Edit in Soundbooth/Audition and have the resulting WAV files too.

• 13. Re: Files Lost
                                  philbu2 Level 1

Rather than attempt to recover those, I would recapture, but you might want to think about taking that HDD our of the mix. I'd look into sending it back to Seagate, if the warranty is still in effect.

recapture and then re-edit, too, huge setback, but guess no choice.

I'll move my scratch to the sister 750 GB drive that's currently empty

but I also suspect Vista 64 Ultimate and Premiere getting their signals crossed

Good luck,

• 14. Re: Files Lost
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                                    recapture and then re-edit, too, huge setback, but guess no choice.

I understand. Failures like these are not fun. I try to insure that I am working with copies of all Assets (sometimes I do get lazy with Captures, but do have the tapes), just in case.

I wish you good luck, and understand the frustration. Some years back, I had a pile of .PSD's lost. I only had DVD-Data back ups for some. Stellar-Phoenix got many back, but some were lost forever. Fortunately, these were general stock images, so I only lost "potential" sales - oh, and a bunch of time and some of my hair...

Hunt

• 15. Re: Files Lost
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

One more question. Do I recall that you were also using Carbonite, the Web-based backup system, or am I confusing threads? I did not see mention, so the latter is probalby the case. Still, some have had major issues with Carbonite and AV files. Seems to do a good job with database, DOC's, and smaller still images, but with AV files, chokes and kills some systems.

Just curious,

Hunt