16 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2009 6:59 AM by the_wine_snob

Fed Up with Adobe

jazzguy2

I have been unable to take an mpeg4 file, edit it and then output it to an MPEG 4 file with the audio intact.

I am astounded and greatly irritated that PrPro does not support (at least not well) the capturing of VOB files from a DVD.  This is the most common thing I am called on to do with video in my job and after paying $700 for a program, I find it doesn't do something it says can be done with version 4.1.I have even tried using another editing software to transcode it to an AVI and then bring the video into PrPro and my problem continues.

Adobe's solution is to go find another program to to transcode this.  That takes balls.  They charge you $700 for a program and then tell you that you have to go get another program to do something that their product is supposed to do.

Apparently Adobe has been taking lessons from Microsoft.  I like your products Adobe but find that there are too many hidden bugs.

I have tried HandBrake to do this but found that I was getting audio that was out of synch.  If anyone has any other suggestions, I'm all ears.

Thanks all for letting me vent, I have spent at least two work days trying to resolve this issue.

Andy

• 1. Re: Fed the F... Up with Adobe
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Glad you got that off your chest, now we can close the case.

• 2. Re: Fed the F... Up with Adobe
            jazzguy2 Level 1

No, you can't close the case. I want to know what Adobe is doing to fix the problem and what can be done about this in the short-term.  I have now had a phone call with you folks and an entry on your forum and no satisfaction.

And how dare an Adobe employee respond in such a flippant manner.  I'm seconds away from returning your product and moving away from your products entirely if you can't help me with this issue.

• 3. Re: Fed the F... Up with Adobe
              Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

jazzguy2 wrote:.  I have now had a phone call with you folks and an entry on your forum and no satisfaction.

Sorry to disappoint you, but no Adobe employees here!

• 4. Re: Fed the F... Up with Adobe
                Harm Millaard Level 7

I want to know what Adobe is doing to fix the problem and what can be done about this in the short-term.  I have now had a phone call with you folks and an entry on your forum and no satisfaction.

Why don't you ask Adobe? This is a user-to-user forum and Adobe presence here is severely lacking.

And how dare an Adobe employee respond in such a flippant manner.

What makes you think I'm an Adobe employee?

I'm seconds away from returning your product and moving away from your products entirely if you can't help me with this issue.

Maybe you should do that or provide details. In general it does no good to bite the hand that feeds you.

Some suggestions

• 5. Re: Fed the F... Up with Adobe
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Andy,

For your information, .VOB files are MPEG2, not MP4.

• 6. Re: Fed the F... Up with Adobe
                    jazzguy2 Level 1

My response was in no way intended to offend anyone. My understanding was that Adobe monitored these boards.  Your reply about "closing the case" came across as sounding official, thus I thought you were an Adobe employee.

I realize that VOBs are MPG2 and not 4.  I was trying to say that I had captured them as as an MPEG 4 using another application and that the audio worked just fine when previewing in PrPro but when edited and then exported back out to a mpg4 there was no audio (yes, audio was checked in the export).  I have tried converting this file to a wmv file, bringing it into PrPro, exporting it and had the same outcome.

I've just spent so much time on this and am so frustrated.  Honestly, I don't know what other details I should include in this post so that someone can assist me. To everyone who responded, thank you for your time.

Andy

• 7. Re: Fed Up with Adobe
                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                      capturing of VOB files from a DVD.  This is the most common thing I am called on to do with video in my job

Then I would definitely support your returning the product and using a consumer application.  Something like Movie Edit pro from Magix should work nicely.

• 8. Re: Fed the F... Up with Adobe
                        Curt Wrigley Level 4

You are trying to edit an unconventional source of video.   DVDs are designed for playback; not editing.

While CS4 did add the option to import VOB files, it is not going to support every style DVD out there.

If your business requires using DVDs as a source medium, I sugest you find a tool dedicated to converting DVD media to an edit friendly format; which then any NLE could handle.

• 9. Re: Fed the F... Up with Adobe
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

Andy,

If you use 4.1 you can just import .VOB files into your project and edit them. If the audio is missing, maybe the VOB sound is AC3 5.1 which may require the presence of the Minnetonka Surcode plug-in. I use that plug-in so I have no trouble importing 5.1 sound, but maybe if you don't have that plug-in, things may get troublesome. In that case you need to demux the transport stream from the VOB into elementary streams and convert the AC3 sound track to PCM/WAV format. Use Google to find converters, but a good place to start is http://www.doom9.org/

• 10. Re: Fed the F... Up with Adobe
                            jazzguy2 Level 1

Thanks for your help.  I will give it a go.

Andy

• 11. Re: Fed Up with Adobe
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Adobe CS4.1 does a good job of Importing and working with 100% DVD-compliant .VOB files. It did not before the 4.1 update, but now works well.

If it will not work with yours, then maybe this ARTICLE will help you understand why not and what you can do about it. For more info on ripping from non 100% DVD-compliant .VOB's this ARTICLE will likely help.

If nothing in the second article helps, let us know as there is more than one way to skin a VOB.

Good luck, and if you do not yet have the 4.1 update, get that first.

Hunt

• 12. Re: Fed the F... Up with Adobe
                                the_wine_snob Level 9
                                I had captured them as as an MPEG 4 using another application and that the audio worked just fine when previewing in PrPro but when edited and then exported back out to a mpg4 there was no audio

If you do not mind my asking, why did you choose this particular workflow? As CS4.1 can Import and work with 100% DVD-compliant .VOB's, this seems an odd approach. The material has already been compressed to MPEG-2, and now is being recompressed to MP4.

Why not leave MP4 out of the mix, until you need to Export to that format, using the appropriate CODEC, just like you wish to do with the WMV.

Maybe there is a good reason for the convolution, but I'd be curious to hear what it is.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Fed Up with Adobe
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Andy,

Other than a couple of users, who wished to Import .VOB's from DVR machines that fritz up the first .VOB, you are the first person to say:

I find it doesn't do something it says can be done with version 4.1

Using those 100% DVD-compliant .VOB's, there has been nothing but success to date.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS, it does appear that you have CS 4.1, so please ignore my question on version # in the posts above.

• 14. Re: Fed the F... Up with Adobe
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

If I were to be called upon to do a lot of this sort of work, and had no control on how the DVD's were authored, I'd get a DVD player that is pretty liberal in what it accepts (probably a cheaper one), and a Canopus 110 or 300. Use the DVD player, like a VHS player, when doing Analog to Digital, and the included Edius software for capture. No device control, but with  a finger on the remote and a finger on the mouse, you'll be able to Capture with but a few seconds of dead signal.

I've used this with workflow with VHS, DVD and DVR units of several flavors. Yes, as we all know, the MPEG-2 compression had given a quality hit, but sometimes that is just something the client must live with - just tell them up front.

For 100% DVD-compliant .VOB's, I just use PE4 to rip, and Import, then Export via Lagarith to PrPro for editing. As of CS 4.1, PrPro can now handle the right .VOB's, i.e. 100% DVD-compliant from authoring programs, such as Encore. Use other authoring software, or hardware, and all bets are off.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: Fed the F... Up with Adobe
                                      Jim_Simon Level 8

Hey Bill.  It just seemed a little sad, you having this one way conversation with four posts in a row.  Thought I'd send you a shout out.

You are not alone.

• 16. Re: Fed the F... Up with Adobe
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes Jim, it seems as though Elvis has left the building...

Hunt