30 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2009 8:50 PM by dmart6

adobe 9.1.1

yalaharoy

my os is xp sp3. i somehow got adobe 9.1.1 on my pc. it keeps trying to update to 9.1.2 but 9.1.2 will not install.

i went to add/remove to remove reader 9.1.1 and i get error saying

'this patch package could not be opened. verfy that the patch package exists and that you can access it or contact the application vendor'.

i called adobe and finally got someone on the phone who was no help what so ever.

does anyone know what patch i need to uninstall adobe reader 9.1.1 and where i can get it?

• 1. Re: adobe 9.1.1
          MichaelKazlow MVP & Adobe Community Professional

If you cannot uninstall Reader 9.1.1, then try to run the Microsoft Installer Cleanup Tool.

• 2. Re: adobe 9.1.1
            yalaharoy Level 1

thanks for the reply. i found the Microsoft Installer Cleanup Tool but it says provided "as             is". it also says If you use this utility, you may have to reinstall other             programs. Caution is advised.

to say i am not happy with adobe suport would be a understatement. this constant 9.1.2 that will not install either halts or crashes other downloads. the error i get when i try to remove adobe says i am missing a patch of some kind. i see others are haveing a problem and feel there are more with this problem but do not have the time to sit on hold for adobe support as i did only to find out she had no idea how to fix this.

i thank you for your reply but i have enough of a headache with adobe reader, i sure do not want to run something that may require me to have to reinstall other programs

any other suggestions were i might find the patch that is missing needed to uninstall this?

• 3. Re: adobe 9.1.1
              yalaharoy Level 1

i just found this post

Microsoft Cleanup Tool
              1. Open Browser-Type "Windows Installer Cleanup Utility"---
              When "results" appears, look for "support,microsoft.com DESCRIPTION OF WINDOWS INSTALLER CLEANUP UTILITY"---CLICK
              2. When page opens, scroll down to "Download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility Package Now" (you can read instructions or not)
              3. When "File Download-Security Warnings" box appears, CLICK--"RUN"
              4. After download completes, open "PROGRAMS" and look for "WINDOWS INSTALL CLEANUP"--CLICK to open
              5. When Box opens, look for the ADOBE READER 8.1.1--CLICK to "HIGHLIGHT" CAUTION-DO NOT HIGHLIGHT ANY OTHER PROGRAM-CAUTION
              6. At bottom of box----CLICK---"REMOVE"
              7. Go back to-"CONTROL PANEL"-"ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS"--Adobe Reader should have been removed
              8. Now download newer version 8.1.2 or higher

it appears to me adobe has had this problem for quite awhile and to sorry to fix it

i will try this and hope it will work without causeing other trouble

• 4. Re: adobe 9.1.1
                yalaharoy Level 1

Adobe’s Security Advisory APSA09-03 begins:

A critical vulnerability exists in the current versions of Flash Player (v9.0.159.0 and v10.0.22.87) for Windows, Macintosh and Linux operating systems, and the authplay.dll component that ships with Adobe Reader and Acrobat v9.x for Windows, Macintosh and UNIX operating systems. This vulnerability (CVE-2009-1862) could cause a crash and potentially allow an attacker to take control of the affected system. There are reports that this vulnerability is being actively exploited in the wild via limited, targeted attacks against Adobe Reader v9 on Windows.

michael adobe has a real problem (adobe 9.1.1) i ran the that program to uninstall 9.1.1 and it no longer shows in add/remove but it is still on my pc. i google'd adobe and found the above. i tried removeing adobe flash and my anti virus poped up warning me flash is attempting to copy it's self to multiple locations on my computer.

i qurinteened it and now add/remove says it is still there and when i try to remove it says it will remove from my add/remove list but not my computer

any idea how to get adobe's attention they got a problem. search the web. a whole lot of people have been hit only worded a little different

• 5. Re: adobe 9.1.1
                  yalaharoy Level 1

read this

http://www.us-cert.gov/cas/techalerts/TA09-204A.html

i am still researching as to how to get this junk out of my pc and will post what i find

• 6. Re: adobe 9.1.1
                    pwillener Level 8

The problem lies not with Adobe, but with a lost installer file on your computer.

There is a perfect solution for this kind of problem, as Mike K. has already posted earlier - the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility.  If you choose not to use it, then don't blame Adobe Support.

• 7. Re: adobe 9.1.1
                      yalaharoy Level 1

pat

please read all i have posted and you will understand why i blame adobe

i did install and ran the program suggested. it removed it from my add/remove list.

i have saved a pdf file from myfwc.com that is the hunting rules 2009-2010 and when i double click it it will come up in adobe.

this leads me to beleive reader is not removed from my computer.

check out http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/security/?p=19

i tried removeing flash and got warning flash was attempting to copy to multible locations on my computer. i qurrantined it. now when i try add/remove it says it will remove from the list but not from my pc

i am still trying to find some way to get rid of this junk and if you work for adobe please tell your boss i am not the least bit happy with adobe not owning up to they have a big problem

any help you can provide would be appreciated but please do not ask me not to blame adobe. i am retired from technical support and would rather do anything other than have to find a way to fix this problem

• 8. Re: adobe 9.1.1
                        pwillener Level 8

The Windows Installer Cleanup Utility tries to remove as much as possible from a corrupted installation.  However, depending on how much information is missing, it will not always succeed 100%.

This seems to have happened in your case.  What I would try in your situation:

• reinstall Adobe Reader 9.1 (if possible without Acrobat.com and Adobe AIR, from this link);
                        • uninstall it from Add/Remove Programs; I expect it to succeed this time.
                        • 9. Re: adobe 9.1.1
                          yalaharoy Level 1

pat

please read my last post

i did run the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility and it only removed from the add/remove list not from my computer

i tried to remove adobe flash and it tried to copy to mutable locations on my computer

adobe needs to own up to this problem

if you do not want to belive me goto

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/security/?p=1988

or

http://www.us-cert.gov/cas/techalerts/TA09-204A.html

help i can use. telling me the problem lies not with adobe is a waste of both our time

• 10. Re: adobe 9.1.1
                            pwillener Level 8

This is a user-to-user forum; nobody from Adobe is reading your posts.

I was trying to help you to uninstall the Reader from your system, but obviously you are not reading my instructions.

• 11. Re: adobe 9.1.1
                              yalaharoy Level 1

pat

it appears i was able to remove Adobe AIR but not Acrobat.com

it appears reader installed from this web site you sent or at least it now shows in add/remove

i have not tried to remove reader i just installed yet but i did try again to remove Acrobat.com and flash and flash plugin 10 with no success

the wife wants to go to bed so i'll start on this again in the morning

thanks for helping me

roy

• 12. Re: adobe 9.1.1
                                yalaharoy Level 1

i am reading and trying your and others who are trying to help and i appreciate your help.

i am not happy with adobe but i do thank you

roy

• 13. Re: adobe 9.1.1
                                  yalaharoy Level 1

pat

it appears adobe is aware of problem and working on it

http://blogs.adobe.com/psirt/2009/07/update_on_adobe_reader_acrobat.html

roy

• 14. Re: adobe 9.1.1
                                    pwillener Level 8

Thanks for the link, but it appears to have nothing to do with your problem (unable to remove/upgrade Adobe Reader)...?

• 15. Re: adobe 9.1.1
                                      yalaharoy Level 1

pat

did i send you this link

http://blogs.adobe.com/psirt/2009/07/local_privilege_escalation_in.html

When hackers gain access to your pc via any program they

remove your ability to remove the program. They then are able to install hidden

files that can give you a real headache.

I am hoping since the gov use’s adobe, adobe will find a

fix. Microsoft has done this since their beginning. My other options are to completely

clean my hard drive (a total writing of 1 and 0), then reinstalling my OS and

other software or throw this one away and buy a new one. Option two is out due

to it will probably have adobe already on it.

• 16. Re: adobe 9.1.1
                                        yalaharoy Level 1

this all started because update 9.1.2 (CPSID_49166) kept poping up and would fail to install

by using windows install cleanup and search and add/remove i was able to remove everything adobe and acrobat and nos.

i went to adobe and reinstalled 9.1.0 and did update and i now have 9.1.2 installed and so far everything appears to be working fine.

during the 9.1.0 install my firewall poped up saying

Arh.exe is attempting to access the internet by using Adobe Air Application Installer.exe

i blocked this as i have no idea who or what it was

i did not install flash because i have no idea why i would need it

• 17. Re: adobe 9.1.1
                                          pwillener Level 8

If you don't use Acrobat.com or Adobe AIR, you can uninstall both from Add/Remove Programs.

Adobe Flash Player, formerly Macromedia Flash Player, is used to display videos, e.g. on sites like Youtube and many others.  You will be prompted to install it if a site requires it.

• 18. Re: adobe 9.1.1
                                            dmart6

SOS SOS

I am just wanting to print tax forms and I get this error about the patch package on adobe 9=====tried to uninstall and reinstall and it says no patch package and will not allow me to uninstall =  I tried revo uninstaller and still no help

I am not t all savey to computers =  I am a tax consultant.   Please help

• 19. Re: adobe 9.1.1
                                              pwillener Level 8

Download, install, and run the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility.  (After install it can be found from Start -> Programs -> Windows Install Clean Up.)

Select Adobe Reader 9.x and click 'Remove'.

Install the Reader again.

• 20. Re: adobe 9.1.1
                                                yalaharoy Level 1

hi demart6

you state you are not computer savey so if you run Windows Install Clean Up, be sure to read the directions. make sure only adobe reader is hi-lited. when you click remove, everything hi-lited will be removed.

the good news is adobe appears to be working on a fix and hoping to have it released by july 30.

this location---   http://news.google.com/news?rls=ig&hl=en&q=adobe+reader&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=uxtxStnrA4aGtgfJu 7WGDA&sa=X&oi=news_group&ct=title&resnum=5  -- will give you some idea of what is going on. if you can wait for the fix, i would suggest you do so.

this forum is full of people haveing problems only their wording is different.

i have cleared my pc but i have access to hidden files and know how to find and fix problems. i'm retired now and would rather spend my time finding out if the fish are bitein

revo uninstaller is freeware. there is a lot of good freeware but just as many or more that can give you more problems than you started with. beware.

• 21. Re: adobe 9.1.1
                                                  louiesbest

Aloha

I have the same problem with 9.1.1, my OS is also XP SP3.  What browser are you referring to for finding the Microsoft Cleanup Tool ?  After trying to find an answer to the problem for the last couple of hours I hope I can find this forum again.  Adobe's home page is confusing.

• 22. Re: adobe 9.1.1
                                                    pwillener Level 8

There is a link to the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility, just two posts above yours.

I agree that this (new) forum is difficult to navigate, but you will be notified by email about replies to your post, with a link to this reply.

• 23. Re: adobe 9.1.1
                                                      dmart6 Level 1

Thank you for your insight,  I too hit all the ponds and rivers I can find

lol   I am first a mammaw then a true blue fisherlady

thank you again  I hope it gets fixed soon  I need to print papers asap

Debby

• 24. Re: adobe 9.1.1
                                                        yalaharoy Level 1

I have installed windows installer clean up and I consider it to be safe providing you read the directions. Clicking remove means just that. Everything hi lighted will be gone except some bugs. Pat, Thank you for bringing it to my attention. I will continue to use it as a second try after windows add/remove.

After running the windows installer clean up and before trying to reinstall reader.

Windows add/remove now showed reader to be gone

Search showed it to be in many different places

Saved hunting and fishing PDF files still came up in adobe reader

Clicking update still downloaded 9.1.2 and still failed to install.

This is July 30 and a quick web search shows no sign of a fix but it is still early.

I have cleaned my pc but it took most of the day and involved removing hidden files. Removing hidden files is not for those who do not have a pretty good idea how computers work.

I bought my first PC in the 70’s. I watched bill build his empire by fixing bugs others found for him and to this day MS still offers free patches to fix what hackers do to his OS and software.

IBM was the source to go to for all your office needs. They lost that edge because they would not admit to problems.

My experience with adobe tech support reminded me of long ago conversations with IBM tech support.

Best I can tell the fish ain’t bitein and the wife has some silly idea I should be workin in the yard and the only reason I am posting this reply is due to the e-mail notifications. Ya know I haven’t shot my bow in awhile.

• 25. Re: adobe 9.1.1
                                                          dmart6 Level 1

I really want to thank you for your time and trouble--my husband is

"almost"  a geek when it comes to computers but the other nite when this was

happening he was asleep and I didnt want to awaken him thinking I could

handle it my self  ==  I deleted too much and found it would have been

simplier to awaken the sleepyhead---adobe has fixed my problem and I am back

in business

thank you again and happy fishing

• 26. Re: adobe 9.1.1
                                                            louiesbest Level 1

Aloha Pat

Mahalo nui loa (thank you very much) for your assistance.  Your link did

the trick.  Now adobe has finely fixed the problem so everything cool. 

I was going to respond in their forum but it looks like they closed it. 

There's no place to post a reply anymore.

Hau'oli Makahiki Hou

Bill Bouchard

President HOA, Maili Kai Phase II

The contents of this email are intended for the named addressee only, and

may contain confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized review,

use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you received it in error

please  notify us immediately and then destroy it.

• 27. Re: adobe 9.1.1
                                                              Techtronic Level 1

I removed with windows installer removal and then did a clean up and ran a program called  CCleaner to fix Registry problems...It seemed to work...

I went to CNET.com for a new download of Adobe 9.0. Download is free and it worked without a problem...No error messages etc.

CCleaner is a free Cache Cleaner Program with Registry Repair Functionality as well as Startup Edit Controls. It works wit Firefox, IE, and others.It is TOTALLY FREE...

http://www.CCleaner.com  

Best of luck...CCleaner is a great Tool to have regardless...

• 28. Re: adobe 9.1.1
                                                                dmart6 Level 1

Thank you very much   I am trying this right now

Debby

• 29. Re: adobe 9.1.1
                                                                  Techtronic Level 1

After you install your Adobe reader from CNET open adobe reader and click on the HELP Tab...Then click on the UPDATE in the drop down menu.. It works updating this way but seems to have problems updating any other way...such as automatic.. If you gat an updates available pop-up do not use that method..Always open the Reader window and use the help, update tab.. There is also a repair selection you can use...

Best of luck..

• 30. Re: adobe 9.1.1
                                                                    dmart6 Level 1

Thank you thank you and thank you again   It is working perfectly and I can

now print all tax docs I need

Debby