8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2009 9:15 AM by Jeanmatu

Canon XHA1s HDV logging to Prem ProCS4

Jeanmatu Level 1

Greetings, I need some help from you knowledgable video gurus.  I have a HP d49992 ImageMaker computer using Vista Home Edition (32 bit operating system) with an AMD 9600 Quad-core processor 2.3 GHz,  RAM is 4 GB.  My Camera is a Canon XHA1s.  I recorded a tape in HDV and am now trying to log the tape. I have the camcorder  set to HDV playback mode. It is connected via a 6 pin firewire, then the computer is turned on. It recognizes the device.  I openthe Prem Pro, set my  project up for HD and set the capture up for Canon camera standard( because I could not find my model in the pull down selection) and the capture settings to HDV.  Ok, so far all is well,  then I get about 7 mins into the tape logging and all the screens go light grey and nothing happens.  What do I need to do to get this tape logged?  Jean

• 1. Re: Canon XHA1s HDV logging to Prem ProCS4
          Jeanmatu Level 1

Update to my porblem....This morning I reset camera playback to make sure it was in HDV( as requested by the camera manual), it was. Connected the firewire to the computer and turned the computer on. Opened up PP CS4 and my project .I have update 4.1.0. No media from my first attempt to capture is present. I go to the drive where my media is logged to and there the captured clips are.  Back to PP CS4 and I import the files, they are labeled with the file extention .xmp, I get an import error message that the file format is not supported, but the files import anyway???  I can view them in the program viewers.  Now on to the next attempt to capture.  All goes well for about 15 mins, i.e., each of my clips are captured.  I am using the red record button and the esc key to stop and watching my camera monitor ( no screen view in PP CS4).  Then the "grey screen" lock up and the message Adobe program is not responding, I wait, then finally I cancel.  Close the program and reopen it, now the camera is not recognized, as requested by PP CS4,  I turn the camera off and on again. The capture program says it is online, but the program will not control the camera.  I would like to be able to capture the remainder of this tape...only have 30 mins to go on the tape!

CAN ANYONE HELP ME ON THIS PROBLEM!       Jean

• 3. Re: Canon XHA1s HDV logging to Prem ProCS4
            Jeanmatu Level 1

Thank you for your response.  Pardon my ignorance, What's HDVSplit?  Is this in PPCS4 or yet another program to purchase?  Do you have any idea what is going on here!  Jean

• 4. Re: Canon XHA1s HDV logging to Prem ProCS4
              Harm Millaard Level 7

HDVSplit is freeware that allows capture of HDV material with scene detection, date and timestamp, previews and no OOS errors. It performs much better that the capture module in the very expensive PR program.

• 6. Re: Canon XHA1s HDV logging to Prem ProCS4
                Jeanmatu Level 1

Thanks, Harm and John for pointing to the capture hardware and it's internet addy.  I took a twofold approach to this issue,. FIrst I tried the HDVSplit and it works fine.  Secondly, I captured the A1 tape from a Canon XL-H1 and the tape captured fine.  My conclusion is that PP CS4 is very intractable and capricious when it comes to capturing HDV data. I think it is a sad situation to have to use other programs to capture when Adobe purports to be capable of  capturing HDV.  PP CS4 is a costly program and it ought to do what it's advertised to do, i.e., capture HDV. Thanks for the suggestions.  Jean

• 7. Re: Canon XHA1s HDV logging to Prem ProCS4
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Back in the old days, Adobe did not offer scene detection for SD. It took them about three years to catch up with shareware like Scenalyzer that could do that for years for a meagre $ 40. Scenalyzer was better on every front and still Adobe did not get it. History repeats itself. Adobe cannot deliver scene detection, can not avoid OOS and gives no preview. Freeware does all that. Shame on you Adobe!!! Maybe with CS6 or CS7 this will be resolved, after you upgrade at the cost of $ 1 K plus. As you may surmise from this post, I'm not optimistic about CS5 delivering that capability.

• 8. Re: Canon XHA1s HDV logging to Prem ProCS4
                    Jeanmatu Level 1

Hi Harm,    I'm relatively new to NLE and it's good to know the previous history.  I purchased PP because Avid dumped its Liquid 7 customers and went with some VERY expensive software/hardware. I couldn't afford those prices!  At least Avid 7 could  log/capture SD or HD data. However, they had no way to write the edited file to HD DVD. I guess every NLE has its strengths and weaknesses.   They could all take a lesson from history, though!  Thanks Jean