10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2009 7:08 AM by the_wine_snob

Sound Does Not Match Video

HirschV Level 1

Greetings -- it's been a little while ... Back in January when I upgraded my machine to Vista my A/V convertor stopped working and I got no support from the manufacturer.

So, a few months ago I got the VidBox converter. It mostly has worked okay, although I have found with videos longer than 45 minutes (I am guessing) the sound ends up being off. I have some shorter (10-15 minute pieces) that seem okay -- no synchronization issues. The software that comes with the converter seems to work okay ...(The software is: "honestTech VHS to DVD 3.0")

Worse, I don't know if it is the VidBox software (which must read the video in, then convert to DV-AVI 2 format), if it is Premiere Elements 7 (which I use to add menus or just to burn a disc image on the hard drive), or ...?

I tried tinkering with Win-DV a bit (freeware program), but while it SEES the converter, it then gives an error "Can't find DV output pin", which makes no sense if I am trying to capture FROM the DV device. However, it may be that this is because I'm using USB2 not Firewire ... I honestly cannot tell.

Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions? Since PRE doesn't recognize the converter at all, I can't go straight to PRE ... as much as I'd like to.

Thanks in advance ...

Ken Mayer

• 1. Re: Sound Does Not Match Video
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Ken,

This is pretty common with a lot of A-D capture devices and their software.

If the files are DV-AVI Type II's with 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV Audio, chances are good that it is not PE adding your OOS (Out Of Sync) issues.

In general, I recommend the Canopus (Grass Valley) 110, or 300, with the Edius capture software, but you have a unit that otherwise functions properly.

Here is an ARTICLE on handling OOS. Obviously, this is easier to fix if the OOS is constant, i.e. starts our OOS and ends with the same amount of OOS error. If it's dynamic, and drifts, then it does mean more work.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Sound Does Not Match Video
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

As Hunt says, this is a common problem, when using lower end capture devices.

You'll get best results (as well as the ability to capture directly into Premiere Elements) if you use a DV bridge device, as we discuss in the FAQs to the right of this forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/431853?tstart=0

• 3. Re: Sound Does Not Match Video
              HirschV Level 1

Well, here's the problem -- the Pyro doesn't seem to work with Vista -- that's the device I was using. I tried contacting the manufacturer, and got NOTHING in the way of support/help -- their site is a mess, and they did not respond to any requests for assistance. I don't own a video camera to do the passthrough option, either.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I don't really have the patience to try to re-synchronize sound ... and frankly the only other option I can think of is to try importing 1/2 hour at a time of a video and try putting it back together again ... not a very nice option either.

• 4. Re: Sound Does Not Match Video
                HirschV Level 1

Frankly I don't have the patience for the re-synchronization. I have way too many other more important projects, this is something I'm doing to just preserve these old videos that aren't available commercially anywhere ... sigh. The most annoying thing is that for capturing old audio cassettes this device/software combination works great.

• 5. Re: Sound Does Not Match Video
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

This is the most recommended lower-end A-D bridge unit, the Canopus ADVC-110 at B&H Photo. For a little more $, the ADVC-300 has TimeBase correction that equals the controls of equipment costing 5x as much.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Sound Does Not Match Video
                    HirschV Level 1

Thanks. I guess I'll have to eventually plunk down the money for that. Sigh.

• 7. Re: Sound Does Not Match Video
                      HirschV Level 1

I wanted to pop in and say that the Canopus ADVC110 seems to have done the trick on the one video I tried importing -- got to the end of a 75 minute video and the sound was synched perfectly with the video ... I am sort of curious if it was specifically the hardware, the software, the use of USB vs. Firewire ... but I'm not really expecting an answer. I just wanted to say thanks. (BTW, when you say "For a little more $", you mean a LOT more -- the ADVC-300 is running nearly $500 -- compared to the 110, which was $200 ... )

Thanks again ... Ken

• 8. Re: Sound Does Not Match Video
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Ken,

Very glad that it worked for you, and thank you for reporting.

If one had enough VHS tapes to do, that US$300 could be amortized just by the color corrections processing in the 300 quickly. Still, it's the results, and it looks like you got your OOS issues handled.

Hunt

• 9. Re: Sound Does Not Match Video
                          akcorr

After importing the video or clip into the timeline I unlinked the video and audio.  After I did that I could delay the audio 5/10 of second which usually solved my problem.  It's probably not the best way to handle it but it solved my problem with the audio not sync'ing up with the video. 

• 10. Re: Sound Does Not Match Video
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

You are correct, re: the "best" way to hanlde OOS. The ultimate method with VHS tapes, is to use an A-D bridge, that Captures both the Audio & Video in sync. However, this usually means an investment is a product like the Canopus/Grass Valley 110, or their 300*. These are FireWire devices, but will get your tapes Captured (through the Edius software) onto your computer in DV-AVI Type II format w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV Audio.

Next to that, the manual method works well. Usually, the OOS will not be dynamic, i.e. it will not drift over time, but always check to be sure. Also, it will most often be constant Capture to Capture, i.e. you can usually find the offset and can at least use that as the starting point for all other Captures from that card.

Good luck,

Hunt

* Note that there are other good products available. These are just two that I like. Also, few users have ever gotten any Dazzle product to work well, if at all. If you get one of those, you could be the lucky user to actually get it to work.