7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2009 3:03 PM by PopaTim

Is there a new version of Premiere Elements about to come out?

PopaTim Level 1

I've notice the price dropping drastically this week, $50 at newegg, and have to think there is a new version to be released soon.

Anyone got some further information?

• 1. Re: Is there a new version of Premiere Elements about to come out?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately, anybody who knows, cannot tell you. Anybody who tells you, does not know.

Given the average cycles, I'd guess that it will be another six months, before a new release. Now, that puts it just after the Holiday Season, so Adobe might have something in the works, but time is running out for the software buyers at retailers, both online and in brick and mortar shops.

PE is usually close to PrPro, and Adobe just released a major update in CS 4.1. Speculation is that there will not be a CS5, until at least NAB, or later. Only time will tell.

As for price reductions, it could well be that with the economy, Adobe needs cash. I've seen all sorts of extra software sales, just to generate sales and cash. Who knows?

Hunt

PS historically, Adobe has been good at offering upgrades to people who purchased the previous version within a certain period of time.

• 2. Re: Is there a new version of Premiere Elements about to come out?
            Paul_LS Level 4

As Hunt states... anyone who does knows will not be able to say as they will be under non-disclosure agreement. That said, the annual release cycle up until now has been in September or October.

• 3. Re: Is there a new version of Premiere Elements about to come out?
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

My (this is only a) GUESS is that a new version won't come out until after Windows 7 is officially released

My (still only a) GUESS is that all new work at Adobe right now is to get ready for Windows 7

Anything else, with Win 7 due out in October, would mean issuing a new product and THEN a major upgrade shortly after

I just don't see Adobe doing something until Win 7 is issued

• 4. Re: Is there a new version of Premiere Elements about to come out?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

John,

Those are probably good GUESSES.

With so many people screaming for full Win7 support now, it would behove any software company to hold any release, until Win7 is beyond beta (regardless of what the titles in the beta might be). As two recent sequential builds of Win7 seem to break everything Adobe, I'm sure that it is not an easy task keeping up with what will be in the final package.

That Oct. date will work well for MS, but put programs like PE after the Holiday buying season, unless Adobe is right atop the Win7 development path. Who knows, maybe there is a "red telephone" between San Jose and Redmond?

Hunt

• 5. Re: Is there a new version of Premiere Elements about to come out?
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>maybe there is a "red telephone" between San Jose and Redmond?

From what I have read in the past, MS does a pretty good job of working with developers to insure there is software to run on Windows

I do know that Washington State Univ where I work has a "deal" with MS that allows staff and students FREE access to some software (including Windows) and low cost versions of other software (I can buy the full MS Office Pro for $90)

I had already downloaded a free/licensed Vista 64 - but now plan to wait until Win7 is issued and at SP1 level before I build a new 64bit computer

So, I personally won't upgrade anything until Win7 64bit is stable... and there are 64bit programs to use on top of Win7

For me (including that small thing of $$ to spend) that likely means some time in 2010

• 6. Re: Is there a new version of Premiere Elements about to come out?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

I understand 2010. That is about when I'm shooting for a new workstation. About then, Win7 SP1 might be out, CS5 should be, either out, or near, and I can do it all at one time.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Is there a new version of Premiere Elements about to come out?
                      PopaTim Level 1

Thanks for your insights and replies everyone.