8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2009 6:14 PM by the_wine_snob

Video capture not recognizing camera video

lwachs

The format settings were changed on the discs I was using in my little DVD video camera so now when I go to get the video off it to put into Premiere, the program won't recognize the files. The files are all there on the camera but I cannot figure out how to get them up onto the computer in any sort of fashion.  Is there any way to capture the video still?

• 1. Re: Video capture not recognizing camera video
          Kodebuster Level 3

You will need to provide a little more info on the Camera.

Like the make and model, and how it physically connects to your Computer (USB or Firewire).

Also, it's hard to tell from your post if this Camera ever captured to PE in the past.

Typical MiniDVD cameras (like the Sony DCRDVD Series) come with packaged software that will move video from the Camera to your PC, (and convert to Mpeg, from VOB). For the Sony series, the only option to physically connect to your System is USB.

PE will not Capture over USB, but will recognize many Firewire connected devices.

The other option is to Finalize the MiniDVD disk, mount it on your System, and copy the VOB files to your hard drive.

Post what you have (or don't have) and we can take this further...

• 2. Re: Video capture not recognizing camera video
            lwachs Level 1

It's a Panisonic VDR D220 with a USB connection. Before this I've been able to download with PE just fine, but I think maybe something happened with the formatting of the miniDVD when I put it in. I tried copying the VOB file to the computer but can't do anything with that file. Any suggestions?

• 3. Re: Video capture not recognizing camera video
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'd recommend that once you've copied your VOB files to your hard drive, you use Prizm to convert these files to DV-AVIs, per the FAQs to the right of this forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0

Once your video is in DV-AVI format, Premiere Elements will be able to edit it effortlessly!

• 4. Re: Video capture not recognizing camera video
                the_wine_snob Level 9

For a bit of background on .VOB files, this ARTICLE might give that to you.

I've not used Prism, that Steve recommends, but many swear by it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Video capture not recognizing camera video
                  Kodebuster Level 3

When you say that you ""tried copying the VOB file to the computer but can't do anything with that file"" doesn't tell me much.

When possible, try to be a little more descriptive on the problem at hand.

Did you see via File Manager the VOB's resident on the physical Disk ???

You saw them, but couldn't copy ???

They copied, but wouldn't import to PE via Get Media ???

They imported to PE, but didn't work ???

Taking this approach will enhance the help you receive, and move your Project along at a quicker pace...

• 6. Re: Video capture not recognizing camera video
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Kodebuster,

Very good points. The answers will likely point someone in the right direction to help the OP. The distinctions can seem minor, but make a world of difference on how to proceed.

Thanks,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Video capture not recognizing camera video
                      lwachs Level 1

I apologize for my ambiguous answers. The .VOB file could transfer to my computer but I couldn't open them with PE or really any other program. Eventually I did use an old piece of software I had that was able to download and convert the files to .AVI so I could import them into PE. Thanks so much for you help, I really do appreciate it!

• 8. Re: Video capture not recognizing camera video
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Glad that you got it handled. That VOB article will tell you a bit more about what can be inside one. As I do not know your camera, I would guess that it's basically an MPEG-2 file. BTW, the VOB should also play in most DVD software players. Also, PE (at least PE4 and newer) does a good job with a clean VOB. PrPro (PE's big-brother) just added that ability with the most recent update.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS is your last name Wachs? Only reason that I ask is that I grew up in Gulfport, MS directly across the street from John & Vesta Wachs, and down South, that is not a common name. Just curious, and hope that your camera's material edits well for you.