3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2009 4:21 AM by ElHel

Importing from Illustrator into Flash

ElHel

Hello,

I've created a text graphic in Illustrator CS2, which is stretched and with a light fill + a thin black stroke (0.1pt).

When importing into the Flash (CS3) library, I get an error message telling me that there's a compatibility problem because of the stretched text. Everything, besides the fact that the text should be stretched but isn't, looks fine in the graphic that's imported. All well and good, I go over to Illustrator and convert the text to outlines.

Then I try importing again, no error messages. But I get the problem that the outline is thicker than it was in Illustrator. Too thick. (Looks like 1 or 2pt).

I go back to Illustrator and outline the stroke, group the objects together for the sake of it, and try importing again. This time, the outline correctly displays on about 1/3 of the letters. But the rest..now have absolutely no stroke..

I then make a compound path out of all the objects. Which changed nothing, about how it imports into Flash.

I decided to just place the text as a jpeg/bitmap image in Flash, and it looks normal as in, the stroke is the right thickness and all letters have a stroke. But of course, it's pixels. And looks pretty horrible, especially where the letters get rather thin.

So I'm left clueless. Why won't the Illustrator file simply import as it should?

And how can I get it to do so?

Thanks

El

• 1. Re: Importing from Illustrator into Flash
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

ElHel wrote:

Why won't the Illustrator file simply import as it should?

Because Flash runs in pixels all the time and assumes 72dpi. Sorry, but if you want this to work you wil lhave to get used to working with proper full pixel values. 0.1pt at 72dpi isn't even half a pixel. Use AI's pixel preview options and design your artwork accordingly. Also consider doing text natively in Flash. There's a reason it offers 5 different antialaiasing modes and layer styles exactly to avoid such problems with imported files.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Importing from Illustrator into Flash
            Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Would converting the text to Flash text in Illustrator be helpful?

Picture 1.png

Picture 2.png

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Importing from Illustrator into Flash
              ElHel Level 1

Sorry for the late reply
              We've now solved the problem by converting the text to outlines, importing it into Flash, and then adding the outline/stroke in Flash. That seems to work alright.. (using Illustrator CS3, that is).

I'm afraid converting the text to Flash text didn't help

I'll have to remember to use the pixel preview option when making future designs..

Thank you

El