8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2011 12:42 AM by Jim_Babbage

What new can we expect in Adobe Fireworks CS5?

azmatswabi Level 1

Recently i came across this post somewhere http://keithics.com/blog/article/adobe-fireworks-cs5-preview/224/

so i want to ask the fireworks development team if this is really going to happen someday..Should we expect next version of the fireworks to contain all the photoshop filters and fully functional Layer styles like gradient overlay color change etc..This is such a surprise that fireworks names them as Photoshop live effects yet some of the features are not fully supported like in photoshop..One more thing where fireworks is lagging behind photoshop is its use of brushes..Is it possible that fireworks start integrating .abr brushes of Photoshop in its newer versions?IF all this happens i am dead sure people will quit using photoshop and acquire adobe fireworks as their primary web designing tool...Comments of Jim Babbagi in particular regarding this post of mine will be badly awaited...

• 1. Re: What new can we expect in Adobe Fireworks CS5?
          Fiona Hayward Level 1

that page was put up there on 'April 1st'  - an april fools joke,

Cheers

Fiona

• 2. Re: What new can we expect in Adobe Fireworks CS5?
            azmatswabi Level 1

Yeah i could see it there too that it was posted on april 1st.. but still these are the things badly needed to fireworks to match photoshop...still i will love the professional comment on it...

• 3. Re: What new can we expect in Adobe Fireworks CS5?
              Jim_Babbage Level 4

Why match Photoshop? It already exists.

FW does many things PS can't do or at least can't do efficiently. PS 

does many things FW can't do or can't do as robustly. The last thing 

we need is two apps that do the same thing.

Let each app focus on becoming great at what it is supposed to do.

Jim Babbage

• 4. Re: What new can we expect in Adobe Fireworks CS5?
                AllyBallyBee

"What new can we expect in Adobe Fireworks CS5?"

That it will work, hopefully.

No joke, the many bugs in FW CS4 (Mac) are driving me mad, in particular the one where it exports the wrong image if you have more than one file open. Yes, I have submitted a support request. No, I haven't had a response. Unbelievably poor level of service.

• 5. Re: What new can we expect in Adobe Fireworks CS5?
                  Jim_Babbage Level 4

Generally, unless the team needs more information from you, you won't 

get a reply when you submit a bug. However, bug reports are logged and 

the team does their best to address as many as possible.

Jim Babbage

• 6. Re: What new can we expect in Adobe Fireworks CS5?
                    AllyBallyBee Level 1

That may well be so, but since I asked a few questions in my request, I'd expect the courtesy of a reply.

• 7. Re: What new can we expect in Adobe Fireworks CS5?
                      jelaplan

I began using FireWorks CS4 in earnest about 2 months ago. I had been a active user of earlier versions. A friend suggested I use the Pages features and looking into that, I found it offered some great ways to make interactive prototypes. My old workflow involved some JSF scripts that I used to export a series of wireframes/comps by hiding and showing layers - much like the PhotoShop layer comps feature. Now, it's great that I can put individual screens on separate pages and dump it all to a PDF or export individual PNG/GIFs etc. But, I feel that there was so much ambition in these changes that it's hard to get it all perfect in a release or two (cs3/cs4) so I agree with a lot of others that I'd like CS5 to tighten the bolts and improve the performance.

Some things I'd like to see Adobe owrk on follow. For example, I like the Master pages feature but I'd like multiple masters because I have common items across many pages but not all. As a partial solution, I find that I can use the Share Layers to Pages feature to good effect but this doesn't work with the Web Layer. This means that if I want to add hotspots or slices to a non-mastered Page then I have to duplicate it on all the other non-mastered pages which can create a lot of duplication.

The export feature has a lot of variety which is great but I find it is time consuming to pick the option from the file menu and then set all the settings for HTML ouput vs Image output and it always defaults to exporting just the current page. This process is both tedious and error prone. I think that Adobe could easily clean up the export to make it easier to export to multiple types of output. From a round trip perespective, I want to be able to export, test a bit, export again and test in relatively rapid and pain free manner. It's hard to find good documentation on exporting and I have tried in vain to write JSF scripts though it seems there is potential in that regard.

I've used both Flash and Fireworks to do prototyping. I find FireWorks a lot faster but it's lacking in things like transitions. I would like to add simple image swaps with a fade transition. A friend recently showed me how this can be done in Adobe Catalyst and that was nice to see how fast and easy it is to use. Sort of takes the nice things from Flash and makes it much simpler to do user interface design. Sadly, that is what FireWorks is supposed to do. I'm surprised that Adobe made Catalyst instead of adding those kinds of things to FireWorks but maybe it's too far to reach. So, I may switch to Catalyst for prototyping. To bring FireWorks along to that level of easy and power for prototyping, it's a matter of taking Fireworks a little further down the road with usability improvements and expert user types of improvements. BTW, it's sad to see that I can't yet directly integrate FireWorks to Catalyst. It allows importing PhotoShop and Illustrator. I guess FireWorks is the red headed step child.

• 8. Re: What new can we expect in Adobe Fireworks CS5?
                        Jim_Babbage Level 4

>>Some things I'd like to see Adobe owrk on follow. For example, I like the Master pages feature but I'd like multiple masters because I have common items across many pages but not all. As a partial solution, I find that I can use the Share Layers to Pages feature to good effect but this doesn't work with the Web Layer. This means that if I want to add hotspots or slices to a non-mastered Page then I have to duplicate it on all the other non-mastered pages which can create a lot of duplication.<<

While you can't share the main web layer across pages, you can create a web sub layer and the sublayer can be shared ion much the same manner as regular layers.

>>I've used both Flash and Fireworks to do prototyping. I find FireWorks a lot faster but it's lacking in things like transitions. I would like to add simple image swaps with a fade transition. A friend recently showed me how this can be done in Adobe Catalyst and that was nice to see how fast and easy it is to use. Sort of takes the nice things from Flash and makes it much simpler to do user interface design. Sadly, that is what FireWorks is supposed to do. I'm surprised that Adobe made Catalyst instead of adding those kinds of things to FireWorks but maybe it's too far to reach.<<

I can understand your frustration, but FW is a graphics app first and foremost. It's got the design tools that FC doesn't have. It was never planned to be a completely interactive tool. At least we can export Fireworks objects and designs as FXG, so we can wire up that interactivity within Flash Catalyst.

>>So, I may switch to Catalyst for prototyping.<<

Flash Catalyst doesn't have the graphics chops of software like Fireworks, Photoshop or Illustrator though. It's a tool for creating the interactivity more than it is a graphics tool. I see a fit for both. 

>>To bring FireWorks along to that level of easy and power for prototyping, it's a matter of taking Fireworks a little further down the road with usability improvements and expert user types of improvements.<<

I'm sure there will be improvements, but I wouldn't expect Fireworks to become an interactive tool like FC.

>>BTW, it's sad to see that I can't yet directly integrate FireWorks to Catalyst. It allows importing PhotoShop and Illustrator.<< 

Yeah, don't get me started on THAT one. You aren't the only one disappointed about this, but who knows what cool things the future may bring. 

>>I guess FireWorks is the red headed step child.<<

I like red hair.  Seriously, Fireworks is a tool that many people have a hard time understanding - if they've never used it before. I've heard it called Photoshop's poor cousin, or an ImageReady replacement.  From my perspective, it just does so many diffferent things that people have a hard time labeling it. Macromedia never got it right - and they created the software! They spent way too much time comparing it to Photoshop. And it's not Photoshop. At least Adobe has found a useful niche for my favorite graphics app, so I will give them that much.  HTH!