17 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2009 9:25 PM by PaulieDC

A system for Premiere CS4

RAH_1

I am building a system for Premier CS4, and ordinary use ofcourse.

CPU

The first thing I had to deal with is the best CPU I can afford.

Comparing Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition to Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 to Intel Core i7 950, 3 GHz.

Everybody says that the i7 950 is the best, is it true?  even it is 3Ghz while Phenom II X4 955 is 3.2Ghz.

Graphics cards

ATI Radeon HD 4850 or Sapphire Radeon HD 4850 or RADEON HD4870 or XFX GeForce GTX 275 or what?

Still the hard drive and the monitor, some advise please.

• 1. Re: A system for Premiere CS4
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Go for an i7-920. Way ahead of anything AMD and far less costly than an i7-950. Just OC to around 3.4 or 3.6 GHz.

Best bang-for-the-buck is the ATI HD4870 or 4890.

I do hope you are not talking about a 'Hard drive' in singular. You need 'hard driveS' in plural.

Look here: How to get the best from a PC? Some guides...

• 2. Re: A system for Premiere CS4
            RAH_1 Level 1

Thanks Harm,

So you think there is no big difference btween i7 920 and i7 950?

Yes I know I need at least three hard drives but am confused about the type and the storage capacity.

What about the monitor? am thinking of 24" wide, but is it 1920x1080 or 1920x1200?

• 3. Re: A system for Premiere CS4
              Harm Millaard Level 7

I can only give you my personal views on this and personal taste is a big factor here.

I had a notebook with a 15.4" screen 1440 x 1050. It died and I got another notebook with a 16.4" screen with 1920 x 1080 resolution. I still have to get used to it. The wide screen is an advantage, but the diminished physical height is a drawback.

For my video system I have dual 20" monitors with 1400 x 1050 resolution each. The major drawback is the bezels between the screens. However, changing to new monitors that have at least the same physical height requires at least dual 24" or larger monitors. That will not solve the bezel issue, but will give me an even wider display, maybe causing some strain on my neck muscles, because of the wideness of 2 wide screens. It did not seem worth it, after my already steep investment in the new system and new notebook, so I postponed it for the time being.

For a single monitor I would look at at least 24" or larger with a native resolution of 1920 x 1200. Depending on your budget you can choose from TN panels (cheap but rather mediocre colours) or the much more expensive PVA or IPS panels, that have good colours.

For dual monitors I would first of all consider the bezel width. The smaller the better. Second would be colour representation and third price. But it all can add up nicely.

• 4. Re: A system for Premiere CS4
                RAH_1 Level 1

I was thinking of a single 24" monitor, I agree with you 24" is too big for dual.

Thanks for the advise

• 5. Re: A system for Premiere CS4
                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                  for Premier CS4, and ordinary use ofcourse.

Your "of course" is actually against good editing princilples.  You really should have two machines - one just for editing, and another one for "ordinary use".

• 6. Re: A system for Premiere CS4
                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There is a sub-forum with many new computer discussions http://forums.adobe.com/thread/455599

• 7. Re: A system for Premiere CS4
                      RAH_1 Level 1

Thanks John for the link.

Hi Jim, why can't I have one machine for both?

am aslo goion to use Flash and Photoshop but once at the time

• 8. Re: A system for Premiere CS4
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Accepted wisdom is to keep your system as clean as possible, not installing anything you do not need on a regular basis for a NLE systrem. If you need Office or similar programs, you may be better off to have those on a separate system, not on your editing machine. Not everybody has that luxury and are 'condemned' to using a single system. Ideally, you would not do that, but in practice it often can not be avoided. Accept that as a fact of life.

You have designated the post as answered, but you have not given any of the responders any points. You have the opportunity to give one post the points for a 'correct' answer and two others points for a 'helpful' answer. Just click on the corresponding button in the post.

• 9. Re: A system for Premiere CS4
                          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>why can't I have one machine for both?

You can... either by setting up dual booting, or by using drive swap hardware to have completely different boot drives

Read my notes at http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith/ADOBE.HTM

I currently have a dual boot drive with Win2k for old hardware and WinXp for new software

PLUS I use drive swap hardware to have multiple copies of both boot and data drives just so I never lose everything in case of a hard drive crash

My current P4 computer uses an older brand/version swap housings, my "someday" i7 will use

Vantec MRK-200ST-BK = Sata MRK-300FD-BK = Ide
                          http://www.vantecusa.com/front/product/pro_list/62
                          $45 full set $35 tray only Sata http://www.vantecusa.com/front/product/view_detail/157

My dual boot is as I say above... I **think** you can have dual boot of the same OS so you boot into A for video editing and B with other software for everything else... but since I'm not sure about that, do a search at Microsoft for articles on dual booting

http://search.microsoft.com/search.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US

• 10. Re: A system for Premiere CS4
                            PaulieDC Level 2

I have a dual-core laptop that has Office and Visual Studio and Flight Sim and everything else, and then I proceeded to load Production Premium CS4 onto it. Can you say bloated? Plus it's a 2.0gHz laptop from 2006... I must have been nuts.

I made the decision in March to build a PC dedicated to Photoshop and Premiere, so I started buying parts whenever a really amazing deal showed up. I got it built a few weeks ago, and I can't believe how powerful this thing is. In that time I did a LOT of research, and I discovered all of the things that work and don't work for Premiere. For instance, I assumed dual video cards in SLI mode would make Premiere sail. Wrong. Premiere doesn't even know SLI exists, and relies more on CPU than GPU (unless you get a $1200 FX-series card with special software, etc). ANYWAY, here's what I found... hope it helps. JSYK, I built this screamer video rig for under $1300:

Processor: Intel i7 920. Hands down. You can easily overclock it up to 3.8-4.0 stable with the supplied software from EVGA if you get their motherboard (which I did). You can get the higher 900 series, but WHY? If you have an unlimited budget, go for it. Otherwise, the 920 is like theiPhone, selling like hotcakes, and therefore there is TONS of support out there for it.

Hard drive: Western Digital 300GB 10K RPM Raptor. You don't need RAID for your system/applications disk. This little rocket is fast enough. I installed Windows 7 and Production Premium CS4 and still have 230GB leftover. Hard drives love room to breathe. ***#1 reason when you want a dedicated machine!***

RAM: 12GB, no less, I don't care how many people tell you that 6GB is enough. I've encoded a 19-minute clip that ate up 6.2GB of RAM. You can get a 6GB kit of DDR-1600 for $60 after rebates... get two and breathe happy.

OS: Absolutely Windows 7 RC 64-bit. Hurry, the download ends soon! Just grab it now while you can. It's the OS that Vista should have been; I've been on 7 for two months... flawless! The real version hits the stores in October, but the RC version is good until March of next year. And best of all, it's FREE. This is a first for Microsoft... releasing a pre-sale version of their OS that's basically ready for retail. It's a once-in-a-lifetime chance, don't miss it! You can easily find the download on the Microsoft site.

Video Card: Best deal on the market: EVGA GTX260 Core 216, $154.99 after MIR at Amazon. Has same guts as that $1200 dedicated Graphics card I mentioned earlier.

Power: Corsair 850W-TX. Most power for under $120.

Case: Here's where I went nuts... I bought the gigantic Antec 1200, enough room for all the components and part of a station wagon. Has several fans and room to work when building. You can go cheaper obviously, this thing on SALE at Newegg is $159. It's huge, reminds me of the monoliths in 2010 Space Odyssey.

2nd hard drive for Media: You can get one WD Caviar Black series, or if you want to RAID two together for speed, get the WD RE3 series. Don't raid the Black series. I don't have a second internal drive yet, still gathering funds, but I'm using my LaCie Quadra 500GB external drive with eSata, and it works very well. USB and FireWire aren't fast enough.

Lastly, I'll paste in a reply I wrote the other day below... much is repeated, but I go into more detail about video and RAID.

Happy Building! I found it to be a blast and very rewarding (and not writing a check for a $3200 MacPro!).

Paul

In reply to another poster on this forum who listed parts and asked for opinions and feedback:

9. Jul 23, 2009 10:46 AM in response to: VideoCrafters

You're Close!

I have a Canon 5D Mark II and I just finished building a new i7 rig for Premiere CS4 (my first rig also!). The thing SCREAMS, it actually yawns at what I throw at it. I can't believe that I can now play the raw 1080p .mov files from the camera as smooth as glass... actually surprised me, I still expected stuttery playback. Media Encoder now works too (used to crash on my 32-bit 4GB dual core laptop).

OK, here's my suggestions:

• RAM: The info that others have posted about RAM is good, follow their advice. But definitely get 12GB, 6GB is NOT enough, yet some argue that it is. For an extra $80, why argue? I encoded a 19-minute video clip the other night and by the end I was using 6.2GB of RAM. Go with 12GB. I use Patriot DDR1600, but Corsair and OCZ are excellent and probably more popular.
                            • OS: Absolutely do NOT get Vista 64 bit. You'll want to download Windows 7 Release Candidate 64 bit while it's still available (it hits the stores in October). This RC version of 7 is so good, all the gamers are using it exclusively. I've been on Vista for two years and then switch to 7 two months ago at work, and now I have the 64 bit version on my video rig. I have 16 Microsoft certifications, so please TRUST ME on this one... use Windows 7 and you will be one happy camper. The RC version is totally free until March 2010, at which time you'll need to wipe and reload with a purchased retail version (again, available in October). Professional 64 bit is what you want when you go to buy, the Ultimate version isn't worth it. You can download Windows 7 RC here:http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/dd353205.aspx . It ends August 20th, so download it now. One nice thing: it deferes the cost of an OS until Fall! So just to reiterate, Window 7 RC is the release candidate and will run fine and totally free until March 2010. Starting in October, the RTM (Retail version) of 7 will be available so you'll need to buy that at some point before March 2010 when the RC version runs out. You'll need to wipe and reload, but you should do that anytime you have a new OS. I never liked upgrading. For one thing, upgrading doesn't get you a nice, new, clean Registry.
                            • System Drive: I use one WD 300GB 10K Raptor as my system drive (Windows 7, Production Premium CS4, the lightweight Windows 7 Mail Client, and my plug-ins, not much else). I have 235GB of 279GB free, and the thing absolutely screams. You don't need to RAID your system drive.
                            • Media Drives: As soon as I pay off the mobo, I'll be getting two WD RE3 WD1001FALS 1TB drives to run in RAID0 for super speed. I don't get redundancy, but I have multiple LaCie Quadra drives for backing up, so I'm fine with that. You could get 4 WD1001FALS 1TB drives and run RAID10, which would give you 2GB of RAID speed with the redundancy, but that does add up! By no means do you want the Caviar Black series if you plan to RAID. They have timeout circuitry built-in which can cause RAID to drop, but as standalone drives they are EXCELLENT. So get the Black series if you don't plan to RAID.
                            • PSU: For $20 more, go with the Corsair 850w, not the 750w. That extra bit will run more efficiently and give you a bit more growth room.
                            • MOBO: This is preference really, but I like the EVGA X58 because of how easy it is to OC it, and the forums and Customer service are really good. PLUS, EVGA mail-in rebates come back in under a month! WD is probably the worst for slow MIR's.
                            • Video Card: Perfect choice! I originally bought two EVGA GTX260's (Core 216) and ran them in SLI. Then I found out that Premiere doesn't leverage SLI cards! So I sold one of them and only run one solo, and it works better than I had imagined for a $154 card. I downloaded Flight Sim X as a test, cranked EVERYTHING up, and got 38-50 FPS! Smoothest flight I've ever experienced on a PC, with a single GPU. That i7 is insane, such as amazing processor. So save your money if you were thinking of dual GPUs, you don't need 'em. There IS software that enables Premiere to leverage the GPU, it's called Accelerator by Elemental Technologies, but it only comes bundled (starting next month) with certain NVidia Graphics cards that are designed for CAD and video editing: one is the PNY FX3800. It has the same power as the GTX260 (less actually, the FX3800 only has 192 cores), but it's been licensed to use this Accelerator software, which doesn't work with the GTX200 series (it can, just not authorized by NVidia... go figure). But all you get is faster rendering times, so is an $899 video card worth that? Not to me! My 260 does me fine!
                            • Final Thoughts: I use an Antec 1200 case. It's huge and has 43,000 fans. CPU cooler: there's several good ones, I use a Zalman with the adapter, but Coolermaster V8's are probably better. I got an internal card reader at Best Buy for $11.99 (Dynex I think?) which plugs into half of a USB header port, and it transfers at 20+MB/sec! Right now I don;t have internal media drives, still need more $$$, but I'm using a $139 LaCie d2 Quadra 1TB external with an eSata port, and it gets 90mb/sec transfer (seriously). So there's a cheap solution that becomes a great backup drive once you get internal drives. I haven't OC'd my i7 yet, but it's doing so well stock, I'm not sure I'll bother right now. Oh, I just picked up an APC 1300va Backup UPS at Office Max for $169, to protect my system. It has enough juice to run your rig if you get an outage. It's boost-only, doesn't correct for high voltage, but that's not needed for today's high-end PSUs. The Corsair 850w can auto adjust up to 270 volts, so you don't need a more expensive APC unit to also do that for you. Lastly, without the media drives that I have yet to get, I've built my whole rig as it stands for just under $1300, so you don't have to spend oodles of cash like gamers do. I have: 17 920 | EVGA X58 Mobo | 12GB Patriot DDR1600 RAM | EVGA GTX260 Core 216 | WD 10K 300GB Raptor | Corsair 850w-TX | Antec 1200 Case | Cheap LG DVD burner | Cheap Card Reader | Zalman 9700 cooler | Windows 7 RC 64 bit. Oh, make sure you purchase Arctic 5 Silver Thermal Paste. For 8 bucks, it's the best paste to use between your i7 and your cooler. Throw away whatever comes with your cooler. BTW, you do get a stock cooler with the i7. I left it in the box. ;-)
                            • 11. Re: A system for Premiere CS4
                              Harm Millaard Level 7

I would be interested to know what your system benchmark Passmark score is with this system. Look here: http://www.passmark.com/baselines/top.html

• 12. Re: A system for Premiere CS4
                                PaulieDC Level 2

Harm, I was actually wondering how and where to do the test, so thanks for sending the link. There are two things I need to do, then I'll run the test: one is to OC the processor, ram, and GPU, and the second thing is to get back my 2nd 6GB kit from Patriot Memory. One of the 2GB sticks went bad and I had to RMA it, so I'm expecting that back by the end of this week. When one stick goes bad they have you send back the kit so they can rematch a new stick to the set.

In fact, when I get the ram I'll run the test before any OCing, to see what it does stock. Then I'll run it again again afterwards... I'd like to see the difference.

These i7's are crazy fast... the first time I opened Photoshop CS4 (Extended), it snapped open so fast I thought something was wrong, like it hung when trying to load! Nope, it was opened and ready in a blink.

• 13. Re: A system for Premiere CS4
                                  PaulieDC Level 2

Harm, I bought PassMark and ran it on my rig stock, no OCing, with just the 6GB ram. I'll redo it when I have the full 12GB and all OC work done.

I've attached a screenshot, hope this works.

My rig is:

• Intel i7 920
                                  • EVGA X58 Mobo
                                  • WD Raptor 300GB
                                  • 12GB DDR1600 ram (when I get the other 6 back!)
                                  • EVGA GTX 260 Core 216

All stock right now, except for an aftermarket cooler.

-Paul

Here's a link to the screenshot as well:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3422/3766827435_75c96ce018_o.jpg

• 14. Re: A system for Premiere CS4
                                    Jim_Simon Level 8

why can't I have one machine for both?

You can.  It's just not recommended.  For one thing, there is the possibility of non-editing applications interfering with the editing programs.  This has happened often in the past.  For another, when you're rendering, you may not be able to do anything else.  Having a second computer solves both problems.

• 15. Re: A system for Premiere CS4
                                      Jim_Simon Level 8

Video Card: Best deal on the market: EVGA GTX260 Core 216, $154.99 after MIR at Amazon.

I just got an ATI 4350 for $35 at Newegg.  I bet there'd be very little difference in our editing experience if all else were the same.

• 16. Re: A system for Premiere CS4
                                        RAH_1 Level 1

Thanks guys for the info, I will take my time to look into it, but I would like to ask Harm and Jim what do you think about dual booting?

• 17. Re: A system for Premiere CS4
                                          PaulieDC Level 2

Jim, for $35 (I just saw the ad) you certainly can't complain! I supposed for editing it'd be fine. The GTX260 does have 3x the processor streams (80 vs 216) and 3x faster memory clock (600Mhz vs 2106Mhz), but I guess it's confession time: The one non-Adobe thing I let sneak onto this rig is Microsoft Flight Simulator, and with the 260, WOW is flight smooth!

OK, back to our regularly scheduled programming.