14 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2008 1:47 PM by Melissamotif

Contact Form Fiasco

Melissamotif
      Following instructions in "Dynamic Learning DreamweaverCS3" I've set up a contact form, and as instructed, "The action field allow you to specify the program, or CGI script, that processes the user's form data. You'll need to get this information from you hosting provider in most cases". After several contacts with my hosting company, I received this message: "

"We were unable to comprehend to your query kindly elaborate more on this issues so that we can be of better assistance. If you are referencing to the cgi-bin path then the complete path is /home/9/4/6/22814/22814/www/cgi-bin

I went ahead and put the above "stuff" in the action field, but only get an error message when submit button is pushed. I can't tell whether it's me, the instructions in the book, or hostway, but any help anyone can provide to this puzzled newbie would sure be appreciated.
        • 1. Re: Contact Form Fiasco
          bregent Most Valuable Participant
          Ask your host if they have a form mail script. Who is the host?
          • 2. Re: Contact Form Fiasco
            Level 7
            You need a script to use with your contact form. CGI formmailer scripts are
            not used much anymore. Many hosts have removed them from servers for
            security reasons.

If your server supports PHP, this Formm@ailer script from DB Masters can be
            adapted to do just about anything you need forms to do. As a plus, it
            conceals your email address from prying eye email harvesters and it has
            several spam controls built in - including hidden field
            (honeypot), "sorta captcha," and time limits on submissions to keep robots
            from exploiting your forms. Free to use if you credit the author; $20 if
            you don't.

http://dbmasters.net/index.php?id=4

Q&A Forum - http://dbmasters.net/forum.php?id=3&fid=9

--Nancy O.
            Alt-Web Design & Publishing
            www.alt-web.com

"Melissamotif" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:g6qjhc$n3c$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > Following instructions in "Dynamic Learning DreamweaverCS3" I've set up a
            > contact form, and as instructed, "The action field allow you to specify
            the
            > program, or CGI script, that processes the user's form data. You'll need
            to
            > get this information from you hosting provider in most cases". After
            several
            > contacts with my hosting company, I received this message: "
            >
            > "We were unable to comprehend to your query kindly elaborate more on this
            > issues so that we can be of better assistance. If you are referencing to
            the
            > cgi-bin path then the complete path is /home/9/4/6/22814/22814/www/cgi-bin
            >
            > I went ahead and put the above "stuff" in the action field, but only get
            an
            > error message when submit button is pushed. I can't tell whether it's me,
            the
            > instructions in the book, or hostway, but any help anyone can provide to
            this
            > puzzled newbie would sure be appreciated.
            >
            >

• 3. Re: Contact Form Fiasco
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP
              Last time I looked, there was a script and example form here

http://www.scriptarchive.com/
              • 4. Re: Contact Form Fiasco
                Melissamotif Level 1
                it's hostway, they have a form-mail section where you set up a form from some options they have, but I wanted to make my own form specific in design for my client. In the past, hostway's techs would just say, "in dreamweaver, do this, that, and that". But I will try to submit another request asking specifically, "do you have a form mail script"?
                • 5. Re: Contact Form Fiasco
                  Level 7
                  Good grief! Matt's Script Archive is a relic from the 90's. Just 'cuz those
                  scripts still exist doesn't mean anybody should still be using them.

--Nancy O.
                  www.alt-web.com

"John T Smith" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                  news:g6qmqv$qnt$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > Last time I looked, there was a script and example form here
                  >
                  > http://www.scriptarchive.com/
                  >

• 6. Re: Contact Form Fiasco
                    Melissamotif Level 1
                    Thanks so much. Just one problem, did I mention I was a newbie? What do I do with this script, is this what goes in the "action" field in the D.W. contact form details box? Sorry to be so dense...the other things I seem to be picking up easily, but this has turned into a real head-scratcher for me. If I could set up the above that you presented, Nancy, the DB masters, and hide my client's e-mail address, that would be a real feather in my cap, looking out for her security and all...
                    • 7. Re: Contact Form Fiasco
                      Level 7
                      Go to Docs > Index.html for FormM@ailer set-up and configuration details.

Where formmailer.php is in the same folder as your contact form page you
                      would use this in your form:

<form id="form" method="post" action="formmailer.php"
                      enctype="multipart/form-data">

When you're done congifuring the script to match the labels in your form,
                      upload your contact form page and the formmailer.php to your remote server
                      to test.

HTH,
                      --Nancy O.
                      www.alt-web.com

news:g6r0qm$7k7$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                      > Thanks so much. Just one problem, did I mention I was a newbie? What do
                      I do
                      > with this script, is this what goes in the "action" field in the D.W.
                      contact
                      > form details box? Sorry to be so dense...the other things I seem to be
                      picking
                      > up easily, but this has turned into a real head-scratcher for me. If I
                      could
                      > set up the above that you presented, Nancy, the DB masters, and hide my
                      > client's e-mail address, that would be a real feather in my cap, looking
                      out
                      > for her security and all...
                      >

• 8. Re: Contact Form Fiasco
                        Melissamotif Level 1
                        Thanks Nancy O, I appreciate your taking the time to help me with this...
                        • 9. Re: Contact Form Fiasco
                          Melissamotif Level 1
                          I wonder if I could impose one more time, Nancy O if you're available, I did get the formailer from DB masters and after much work and some advice from them and my hosting company, I still am unable to get the form to work. I've got a link here to the form, so that you can see what happens, the form looks awful but it's simply there to get working correctly, then I'll work on the aesthetics of the site. Any help would be truly appreciated, I feel I am sooo close...
                          • 10. Re: Contact Form Fiasco
                            Level 7
                            Try this code in your form:

<form id="form" method="post" action="formmailer.php">
                            <p>Your Name<br /><input type="text" name="Name" value=""/></p>
                            <p>Organization<br /><input type="text" name="Organization" value=""/></p>
                            <p>Email<br /><input type="text" name="Email" value="" /></p>

<p>Area of Interest<br /><textarea name="Comments" rows="5"
                            cols="40"></textarea></p>
                            <p><input type="submit" name="submit" value="Submit" />
                            <input type="reset" name="Reset" value="Clear" />
                            <input type="hidden" name="config" value="0" />
                            <input type="hidden" name="nospam" value="" />
                            </p>
                            </form>

edit formmailer.php file so that config 0 has these fields set up:

// options to use if hidden field "config" has a value of 0
                            // recipient info
                            $charset[0]="UTF-8";
                            $tomail[0]="youremail@domain.com;"
                            $cc_tomail[0]="otheremail@domain.com;"
                            $bcc_tomail[0]="optional@domain.com;"
                            // Mail contents config
                            $subject[0]="Subject of Email";
                            $reply_to_field[0]="Email";
                            $reply_to_name[0]="Name";
                            $required_fields[0]="Name,Comments";
                            $required_email_fields[0]="Email";
                            $attachment_fields[0]="";
                            $return_ip[0]="yes";
                            $mail_intro[0]="The following are form results from your web site:";
                            $mail_fields[0]="Name,Organization,Email,Comments";
                            $mail_type[0]="text";
                            $mail_priority[0]="1";
                            $allow_html[0]="no";

Save php and html file and upload to same folder on server. Test.

--Nancy O.
                            www.alt-web.com

news:g7ps9e$pvl$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                            > I wonder if I could impose one more time, Nancy O if you're available, I
                            did
                            > get the formailer from DB masters and after much work and some advice from
                            them
                            > and my hosting company, I still am unable to get the form to work. I've
                            got a
                            > link here to the form, so that you can see what happens, the form looks
                            awful
                            > but it's simply there to get working correctly, then I'll work on the
                            > aesthetics of the site. Any help would be truly appreciated, I feel I am
                            sooo
                            > close...
                            >
                            >
                            >
                            http://www.prairielegislativeservices.org/Prairie%20Legislative%20Services%20Pag
                            > e%205%20Contact%20Form.html
                            >

• 11. Re: Contact Form Fiasco
                              Melissamotif Level 1
                              will do this tonight, thanks SO much for the advice, can't tell you how much I appreciate this.
                              • 12. Re: Contact Form Fiasco
                                Melissamotif Level 1
                                It WORKS! it Works! I can hardly believe my eyes! Thank you SOOOO much!
                                • 13. Re: Contact Form Fiasco
                                  Level 7
                                  GREAT!!!! You were missing the config="0" portion from your form.

Now that you know how to do this, you can teach others! :-)

--Nancy O.
                                  www.alt-web.com

news:g7qmka$nl8$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                  > It WORKS! it Works! I can hardly believe my eyes! Thank you SOOOO much!

• 14. Contact Form Fiasco
                                    Melissamotif Level 1
                                    Never mind!