3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2008 12:02 PM by AG1032

Problems with FTP Upload

AG1032
      Hi,
      I am fairly new to Dreamweaver and we recently decided to bring control of our website in house (we are a NPO).
      I managed to download our organizations existing website using the FTP connection in Dreamweaver. Everything went great - and I started editing one of our pages. As a test I made a small change and then uploaded the new page (again through FTP) to the hosting site. It worked fine. Here's where the problems begin - I decided to continue editing the page (in the local view not the remote view) and when I was finished tried to upload it exactly the same way i had done before. Suddenly it was telling me I was no longer connected. For 2 hours i retried and tried and tried to get the connection to re-establish - including shutting down dreamweaver, rebooting my computer etc etc. Nothing worked. My collegue who is also working on this project with me experienced the EXACT same problem when she tried on her computer... first upload is successful but any additional ones don't work. What's more when you then went to view the actual page in IE (or Firefox) the page was distorted - only some of the page appeared. The first time we were missing the flash bar, the second time none of the pictures showed up etc. In addition i used Link Checker and 66 out of 80 links were broken (they had not been broken the first time the page successfully uploaded).

I am very baffled by this whole situation. Does anyone have any advice?? Do you think this is a Dreamweaver problem or perhaps something entirely different? In the end I had to go directly to our hosting site and re-upload an the old page from a burned CD.

Thanks!
        • 1. Re: Problems with FTP Upload
          Level 7
          > I am very baffled by this whole situation. Does anyone have any advice??
          > Do
          > you think this is a Dreamweaver problem or perhaps something entirely
          > different?

Sounds like a server issue (not being able to reconnect). Call your web
          host.

-Darrel

• 2. Re: Problems with FTP Upload
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP
            What happens if you use different FTP software?

I've never used the file transfer part of DW, since the IT staff where I work only allows ONE specific program to have access to the server, and they set the access parameters so the program only allows each user upload or download access to their particular program area

Depending on your server's security settings, you might try other software to see if it works... yes, it is a bit of a PITA to have to jump from DW to a different program... but, whatever works
            • 3. Re: Problems with FTP Upload
              AG1032 Level 1
              Thanks for the quick replies. I know i was using Adobe Contribute for a bit a few weeks ago and was much more successful but a lot less powerful.
              I will try contacting Bell (our host) and see what they say - wish me luck!!

Thanks.