9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2009 10:17 AM by acath

First impressions and initial feedback.

Ricardo.Russon

Firstly, I would like to say that I love FC. So far it has shown great potential, and I cant wait for the 1.0 release (or even Beta 2). I have been using it for about 15 hours now, and I have found a few things. Some of them may just be my ignorance, so please feel free to correct me if I have misunderstood something.

The only real issue, that I know you are aware of, is performance.

It also took me a while to realise that I didn't need to do anything to the scrollbar component to attach it to the text. - Its a nice feature. I should have just paid more attention to the demo.

Timelines

• No context menus
      • Can not edit multiple item transitions at once
      • Can not rename Action Sequences
      • Can not duplicate/reuse action sequences

Design time data

• No Context menu
      • Can not copy and paste data
      • Can not re-order data
      • Can not tab to the next row (it actually does highlight the next rows data, but then the focus is changed back to the main app)

Components

• Once a component parts have been edited (a scroll bar for instance) the resize anchor is no longer available. Instead, you need to resize all pieces of the component separately.
      • Double clicking a component in the layers panel should open the component up for editing. Alternatively, this could be added to the context menu.

Text Properties.

• There are no options for line height.
      • No option to set text as a hyperlink
      • No Option for underline/strike through/subtext/super-text/
      • Trying to edit existing text is extremely frustrating. In most cases I had to take the text back to AI just to make simple copy alts.

Edit with AI

• Editing things in AI seems to work pretty well. Except for advanced text text settings. (like those mentioned above)
      • Upon saving the document to return back to FC, there is a prompt stating "Some text attributes are dropped". It would be nice to know what they were.
      • FC doesn't detect that the fxg file has been closed if there were no changes made to it in AI.
      Hope its all helpful feedback.
      Ricardo.
        • 1. Re: First impressions and initial feedback.
          acath Level 4

Hi Ricardo,

Thanks for the detailed feedback! Let me respond to your points individually below...

-Adam

• 2. Re: First impressions and initial feedback.
            acath Level 4

Dang forum. Let's try again:

Firstly, I would like to say that I love FC. So far it has shown great potential, and I cant wait for the 1.0 release (or even Beta 2). I have been using it for about 15 hours now, and I have found a few things. Some of them may just be my ignorance, so please feel free to correct me if I have misunderstood something.

The only real issue, that I know you are aware of, is performance.

[arc] We’re working on it. =)

It also took me a while to realise that I didn't need to do anything to the scrollbar component to attach it to the text. - Its a nice feature. I should have just paid more attention to the demo.

*Timelines*
            * No context menus - [arc] What would you want in a context menu?
            * Can not edit multiple item transitions at once - [arc] Do you mean multiple effect bars or multiple transitions (like up > over and over > up)?
            * Can not rename Action Sequences - [arc] I’ll add this to the enhancement request list.
            * Can not duplicate/reuse action sequences - [arc] I’ll add this to the enhancement request list.

*Design time data*
            * No Context menu - [arc] What would you want in a context menu?
            * Can not copy and paste data - [arc] I’ll file this as a bug.
            * Can not re-order data - [arc] I’ll add this to the enhancement request list.
            * Can not tab to the next row (it actually does highlight the next rows data, but then the focus is changed back to the main app) - [arc] This is fixed in later builds.

*Components*
            * Once a component parts have been edited (a scroll bar for instance) the resize anchor is no longer available. Instead, you need to resize all pieces of the component separately. - [arc] This is an unfortunate known limitation. The reason is that Catalyst doesn’t have any support for authoring constraints or other resizable layouts. So as soon as you edit the component, we have to strip out all those niceties.
            * Double clicking a component in the layers panel should open the component up for editing. Alternatively, this could be added to the context menu. - [arc] I’ll add this to the enhancement request list.

*Text Properties.* - [arc] The current text tool is extremely primitive, and we’re actively working on a new one that will address these issues.
            * There are no options for line height.
            * No option to set text as a hyperlink
            * No Option for underline/strike through/subtext/super-text/
            * Trying to edit existing text is extremely frustrating. In most cases I had to take the text back to AI just to make simple copy alts.

*Edit with AI*
            * Editing things in AI seems to work pretty well. Except for advanced text text settings. (like those mentioned above)
            * Upon saving the document to return back to FC, there is a prompt stating "Some text attributes are dropped". It would be nice to know what they were. - [arc] I’ll add this to the enhancement request list.
            * FC doesn't detect that the fxg file has been closed if there were no changes made to it in AI. - [arc] I’ll file this as a bug.

Hope its all helpful feedback.
            Ricardo.

• 3. Re: First impressions and initial feedback.
              Ricardo.Russon Level 1

Hi Adam.

Glad to know my feedback was useful. Let me elaborate on the missing points.

Timelines - No context menus - [arc] What would you want in a context menu?

- Delete

- Reverse

- Copy/Paste

Can not edit multiple item transitions at once - [arc] Do you mean multiple effect bars or multiple transitions (like up > over and over > up)?

- I was referring to editing multiple effect bars as once.

Design Time Data - No Context menu - [arc] What would you want in a context menu?

- This follows on from my other requests,

- Copy, Paste, Delete, Insert, (Reverse Selected?)

Looking forward to Beta 2. Im about to start playing with my project in FB4.

Ricardo.

• 4. Re: First impressions and initial feedback.
                acath Level 4

Thanks for the elaboration. Good ideas. I'll add the context menu stuff to our enhancements list.

Try playing with multiple effect bars in Beta 2 =).

-Adam

• 5. Re: First impressions and initial feedback.
                  Tvoliter Adobe Employee

Ricardo,

Selecting multiple effects bars and a timeline context menu are in the works, so you can look forward to these changes in next beta release

Ty

• 6. Re: First impressions and initial feedback.
                    Ricardo.Russon Level 1

Thanks,

I am looking forward to it. But then again I was waiting for the first Beta for over a year since I saw the first demo at WebDU.

Is there any info available on the next beta?

- Release Date,

- Feature List

- Open/Closed Beta?

Ricardo.

• 7. Re: First impressions and initial feedback.
                      acath Level 4

Hi Ricardo,

I don't think we're revealing much information about the next beta yet, but it will be open.

-Adam

• 8. Re: First impressions and initial feedback.
                        jhoefs

I also just started evaluating the Catalyst beta. I work as an Interaction Designer / Developer at a design consultancy so I'm evaluating the beta to see if it would fit into our design process.

In addition to the things Ricardo pointed out there are a couple of items I'd like to add:

Timelines

• Easing - this is a deal breaker. The user should be able to select easing options. In addition to a few presets, a custom easing option would also be nice. Transitions are something we carefully consider even in early low-fidelity prototypes (which is where I'm hoping we can use Flash Catalyst instead of Flash in the future).

Tools

• Where is the pan (hand) tool? Please tell me will be added.

Overall I see this product as something that we would use to demonstrate concepts to clients early in the design phase. It has potential to be a really great tool for creating simple interactive wireframes. However, as both an interaction designer and developer I can only imagine how much of a nightmare it would be inheriting a Flash Catalyst file from a visual designer and then having to use that as a base for a Flex project. I can see opening a Catalyst file in Flash Builder to add a little extra interactivity, but that's about it. There is just too much residue that Flash Catalyst creates to make it a base for a full-blown Flex project.

• 9. Re: First impressions and initial feedback.
                          acath Level 4

Easing and pan tool are coming soon to a beta near you.

-Adam