12 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2009 7:58 PM by the_wine_snob

Can't open saved project

Rich Pulham Level 1

I have been saving sequencially named projects so I can take a step back if necessary.  This has work through Trailer 11.  I've done a SAVE AS to Trailer 12 and have done several others trying to get this work.

When I try opening any later projects, I get the popup Loading project but Premiere hangs and stops responding.  I've also try opening some older versions and the just doing a save using CTRL-S.  Once I save an older version, it not longer will open but hangs.

Any suggestions?

I'm running 64-bit Windows7.  I've tried reinstalling the software in case something was corrupted but it has not helped.

Thanks,

Rich

• 1. Re: Can't open saved project
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Rich,

I cannot immediately rule out Win7, as it's still a beta, but can you Import one of your PrProj files into a New Project? Set it up per the details of your old Project, and give that a try.

If it does Import, twirl-down the Bins and Dble-click on the Timeline to open it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Can't open saved project
            Rich Pulham Level 1

No, it hangs on import.

• 3. Re: Can't open saved project
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Thanks for trying. Sorry that it did not work out.

Next suggestion would be to run one of your PrProj files through XML Wrench. Here is a link to a FAQ on using it for PrProj files. That has helped many, when the had corrupt header info, and other errors.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Can't open saved project
                Rich Pulham Level 1

I followed the instruction on that web page.  Moving files so opening the project with files offline still hangs on Opening project.

I also tried XMLWrench and the project files are well-formed and valid.

It seems odd that the older files open fine with 11 versions of the project but any saved file no longer opens -- even the older ones that used to work.

• 5. Re: Can't open saved project
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

When I saw that you had posted to the thread, I thought you were going to say that you had gotten it. Sorry.

OK, if the files are well-formed, and older ones Open, just not the later ones, what has been added/changed in the later ones? Do you have any AE DL's that you added? If so, two things to try would be to go into AE and manually Render out those DL'ed Comps. Also try by first launching AE, then PrPro and try Open with a later one.

That, or starting back at the last good Project file, are all I can think of. Before I did that, I'd try to nail down why the recent Save/Save_As files do not work. Are you editing to/from an external? If so, what is the connection type and speed?

Just grasping at straws now...

Hunt

• 6. Re: Can't open saved project
                    Rich Pulham Level 1

Thanks for the responses.

The latest one that I can open does have DLs in it but then were moved to a track where the view has been turned off.  Then I replaced their spot with rendered AF files.  But that was done many versions back.

I also tried removing all the DL clips and doing a save as.  It won't open.

I've also tried importing the project to a new project.  If I save with the project folder, it won't open.  I've tried removing all the After Effect files with the same results.  I've tried removing just the original avi files.  Same result.  And I've tried removing just the imported sequence.  It still won't open after a save.  I can use things in the project folder but the folder has to be removed before I can open a save.

I'm running out of ideas to try.  Any more suggestions?

• 7. Re: Can't open saved project
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, one more thing to try.

Copy just your most recent .PrProj file(s) to another folder - no Assets. Move your Original Project folder, including the Scratch Disks to another HDD, or folder, so that PrPro cannot find anything where they once were. Open that .PrProj (all Assets should be Offline now), and see if the .PrProj will Open.

When asked for the location of the Assets, if it gets that far, tell it to Offlline all files. Do not Save, but do a Save_As of this .PrProj file (with the media Offline). Close and then attempt to Open that Save_As. If it works, then it's something in the Assets, that is causing the hang. What you are doing is eliminating the physical XML .PrProj file as the culprit, so you can focus on the Assets.

This will be tedious, but slowly start adding back the Assets into the Project folder structure, Offlining all others. Test. If it Opens with the first batch of Assets, do NOT Save over, as you do not want everything else Offline. Just Close and add a few more Assets. Test. Keep this up, until you get the failure to Open and examine that last group of Assets carefully.

That's about it and I hope that others have some more suggestions.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Can't open saved project
                        Rich Pulham Level 1

I copied the project file to a temp directory.  Then I renamed the folder containing the files.  (I have nearly 600 gigs of files so renaming seemed best.)  Instead of /Video projects/Clients/client/project, I renamed it to  /Video projects hide/Clients/client/project

Then when I try to open the project, it hangs on Load Project...

Doesn't sound like a problem with the assets.  But XMLWrench says the project file is okay.

So what should I be looking for?

• 9. Re: Can't open saved project
                          Rich Pulham Level 1

What do you think of this possible solution?

It doesn't seem there is a problem with the assets because it doesn't get to the missing assets when loading.  But there is nothing wrong with the XML.  That's still not to say something isn't wrong.

What if I create a new project that I can save and open.  Then open that xml file along with the older one that does open.  Block by block, copy and paste the assets into the new xml file.  Then test by saving and opening.  If I go a few blocks at a time, I should be able to find the problem.

Any suggestions on this test?

• 10. Re: Can't open saved project
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Rich,

You are ahead of me on that one. It was going to be my next suggestion, though until I read your previous post, was still hoping that one Asset was bad.

Work with copies of your .PrProj files. WordPad would work fine and you can open two instances of it, side-by-side. It will be a lot of work, but have done the same for a poster here before. In our case, we never could find the bad line of code, though we both tried. Still, it should and could work. Just be very patient and meticulous in what you do. Again use nothing but COPIES, so you still have something to fall back on - though it's looking bleak on that front.

I'm wishing you the best. I know what you are about to go through and do not envy you. Slowly, and carefully.

Hunt

• 11. Re: Can't open saved project
                              Rich Pulham Level 1

After wading through a bit of xml, I decided it would probably be easier to made an EDL from the file that I can open and use that to create a new file.  I had expected the xml to be better ordered but they are creating classid for clips and then referring to that.  Makes it much harder to pull apart the clips.

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I learned a lot.

Rich

• 12. Re: Can't open saved project
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Rich,

Hope that the EDL works for you.

I knew what you were about to go through, 'cause I've been there and done that. It is not an easy task, and I, plus that earlier OP, failed to make any difference.

Good luck, and please report,

Hunt