11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2007 4:54 AM by MotionMaker

Why isn't my preloader for xml loaded jpgs and swfs  working?

Visionology
      I have XML files with both .swfs and .jpgs externally being loaded into a main .swf file via clicks from buttons.

The .jpgs and .swfs are loaded into a container entitled "picture"

I have this preloader setup (code below) but the files don't seem to be preloading. Since the files are being preloaded per click and are being loaded into a container I am preloading the container and checking if the contents are loaded and if so then it should fade the image or swf in but it isn't. They just appear instead of fading in.

Any ideas? I didn't want to use the loader component if I can get away with it.

Thanks
      Neil

• 1. Re: Why isn't my preloader for xml loaded jpgs and swfs  working?
          MotionMaker Level 1
          Not fully sure what not working means.

Is it testing in the IDE? Then be sure to use the bandwidth profiler streaming in the Test->Movie.

Is it in the web browser? Perhaps you need to clear the cache?

Do you think its the code, then add some trace statements in the onEnterFrame that display the values when in IDE Test-Movie with a real low streaming bandwidth value or use a TextField for tracing if testing from a web browser.

• 2. Re: Why isn't my preloader for xml loaded jpgs and swfs  working?
            Visionology Level 1
            Well not fully working means that in the Flash environment through the bandwidth profile set to DSL 33K/sec it works fine. So locally it seems to be working and when I say working I mean that the preloader loads the file (swf or jpg) and then fades in the container clip with the image or swf in it upon completion.

However online, since loading is so fast you don't see any preload bar movement which is fine, however the jpgs that are loaded don't fade in, they just appear and after a delay so it almost appears like the preloader isn't working correctly online or something is astray.

I clear the cache each time I recheck the page online so it can't be that. I am unsure what to do because of the disparity of online vs. local.

You can see it for yourself online at http://www.visim.com/testgallery/portfolio.html To see what I mean regarding the .jpgs being loaded without fading go to the "Experimental" or "Branding" sections and click the thumbnails. The loading bar will jump quickly and the image will just appear BUT if you go back to images you already cached they fade in fine...

I have also edited the preloader code a bit as seen below.

• 3. Re: Why isn't my preloader for xml loaded jpgs and swfs  working?
              SymTsb Level 2
              The problem only occurred for the first image I clicked. After that, the preloader functioned as I would have expected for each image. Could there be an issue with the xml load on the server that's not occurring during local testing?
              • 4. Re: Why isn't my preloader for xml loaded jpgs and swfs  working?
                Visionology Level 1
                Hmm thanks for looking so each photo in the branding or experimental section faded in fine upon loading?

Yeah I wish there was a way to test if there was an issue just with the server. The strangest part is that I am fading in the picture clip which holds the images. The picture clip's alpha is set to 0 initially so it can fade it so there is no reason for the image to just appear.

I also though of perhaps adding a delay with set interval before fading in the picture but I don't know if that would work or if it would just screw things up even more. Before I attempt this, do you think adding a delay to the image appearing would allow it to fade in correctly?
                • 5. Re: Why isn't my preloader for xml loaded jpgs and swfs  working?
                  MotionMaker Level 1
                  Saw same results as SymTsb.
                  Must be in code since you have code special for the first image.
                  Not sure of your programming skill, but take care of variable scoping and that Flash will work with undefined variables.

Here is one I am not sure about.
                  function firstImage() {
                  if (loaded == filesize) {

Is this the local "loaded" variable for the XML.onLoad or a variable at the root.

If it is a local onLoad, then it might be undefined in the function.
                  • 6. Re: Why isn't my preloader for xml loaded jpgs and swfs  working?
                    Visionology Level 1
                    Ok here is a twist for you guys. I just tested it in IE 6.5 and it works perfect for me, the preloader and everything. In Firefox 2.0 which I was using before is where all the problems occur. I thought flash files are universally seen the same or would it have to do with the code in the html file?

That function "firstImage" is just loading the first image in the xml file because there hasn't been a click yet on any of the thumbnails. The loaded variable is the amoung of the image loaded and the filesize is the amount of the total file size of the first image. Are you saying I should declare filesize = picture.getBytesTotal(); and loaded = picture.getBytesLoaded(); within the function or should I define it outside of the function so it is available to all the functions?
                    • 7. Re: Why isn't my preloader for xml loaded jpgs and swfs  working?
                      MotionMaker Level 1
                      1. Not that it is the problem but there can be browser differences: the version of Flash in each browser can be different, the html OBJECT and EMBED tag are somehow not pointing to the same item or have an option set differently or are providing a different amount of cpu slices or timing of internet communications so timing inside a clip could be the problem and I am sure more if I think long enough.

The timing one is I think is your problem.

After more careful study of your code, the reason the first load is probably not triggering the preloader is that picture is not defined. So the numbers for fileSize and loaded inside of the onEnterFrame event are undefined long enough for the if statement to be true undefined == undefined.

How this occurs is that loadMovie can create a point where the clip is undefined during the initial handshake.

Your better route is to use MovieClipLoader. However if you test for undefined that may work
                      if (loaded!= undefined && fileSize!=undefined)
                      {
                      //... all the code in onEnterFrame
                      }

For MovieClipLoader look at MovieClipLoader.onLoadInit

2. Its the use of loaded as both a local function scoped variable in onLoad and then outside the function without it being declared bothers me.

In general all variables that are shared between functions should be declared outside and those only to be used inside. Example
                      var loaded:Boolean

If you declare all variables that are not arguments, then Flash will give you publish time error messages and will not be confused during run time.

For example inside of onEnterFrame
                      var filesize:Number = picture.getBytesTotal();
                      var loaded:Number = picture.getBytesLoaded();

This approach will reduce silent fails and lost time.
                      • 8. Re: Why isn't my preloader for xml loaded jpgs and swfs  working?
                        Visionology Level 1
                        You are definitely right in that something isn't loading correctly and isn't being defined. I just put up a dynamic text field online to test it out and when you cick on the thumbnails the loadbar blinks quick and then in the dynamic box in Firefox you see NaN% and then it goes right to 100%.

It's weird though, in IE, you still get that blinking of the loadbar (i don't know it is blinking quickly at first) but then the loader kicks in perfectly after that and doesn't display any NaN%. I am using SWFObject too so it should be fairly universal.

I may look into the MovieClipLoader but after already spending a couple weeks on this I am to the point where it's just driving me nuts. I don't know how much else would have to be changed after adding the movieClipLoader, it might just create a chain too complicated for me to get everything working. I just want it to be done.

Thanks for your help.
                        • 9. Re: Why isn't my preloader for xml loaded jpgs and swfs  working?
                          MotionMaker Level 1
                          Its a common item. The loadMovie method kills the movieClip and reinitializes. The timing of this you cannot detect other than looking at picture as undefined in the onEnterFrame method
                          this.onEnterFrame = function() {
                          if (picture != undefined)
                          {
                          // ... All your current code
                          }
                          }

• 10. Re: Why isn't my preloader for xml loaded jpgs and swfs  working?
                            Visionology Level 1
                            How does this look to you? Perhaps I missed something, I added picture!=undefined before the onEnterFrame as well as in the other two image call functions but still getting NaN online when viewing but no nan locally. Argh

Heres the latest code.
                            • 11. Re: Why isn't my preloader for xml loaded jpgs and swfs  working?
                              MotionMaker Level 1
                              The Nan is coming from values that cannot be computed. Since the source of the values are
                              filesize = picture.getBytesTotal();
                              loaded = picture.getBytesLoaded();
                              They may not be defined or accurate even though picture is defined. This is a problem I believe with loadMovie. It may be one or both values are incorrect because not all the metadata is available although the variable is defined.
                              I would display those values in your live test. Then once you see what is going on you can patch the code to check those values to be sure they are correct for using them.