1 2 Previous Next 65 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2010 10:24 PM by 125Tumbleweed

Really Jerky Video

FloatingPuff

I am running Adobe Premiere on a Dell Studio XPS 1640 (4GB ram)  When I import video to my timeline, when hitting space just to play the video, it's really jerky. The video is fine outside of premiere. I tried to render the video and even the render comes out extremely jerky. Help?

• 1. Re: Really Jerky Video
          Heimhenge Level 1

We need more info to help you.  Two big questions:

1.  What version of Premiere are you using?

2.  What type of video are you importing?

FYI, Premiere doesn't like MPG video.

Dan Heim

• 2. Re: Really Jerky Video
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

PPro Troubleshooting http://premierepro.wikia.com/wiki/Troubleshooting
            If still not fixed, return with DETAILS asked for in questions at end

• 3. Re: Really Jerky Video
              FloatingPuff Level 1

I am importing a "Movie clip" file, and I am running Adobe Premiere Cs3 ver 3.0.0

• 4. Re: Really Jerky Video
                Heimhenge Level 1

What is the filename suffix of the "movie clip?"  Is it .AVI?  .MPG?  What?

Also see John's suggestion.  The more info you can provide, the better.

Dan Heim

• 5. Re: Really Jerky Video
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

If you have any problems finding the info on your Assets, use G-Spot to get all details. You can copy all of the info, or you can do a screen-cap of the G-Spot screen.

This info will be very important.

Along the way, please tell us all about your computer and especially your I/O sub-system, i.e. your HDD's, their size, speed, the controller type, the amount of free space, and how you have them allocated.

Thank you,

Hunt

Message was edited by: the_wine_snob Added link to G-Spot

• 6. Re: Really Jerky Video
                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>Adobe Premiere Cs3 ver 3.0.0

Is there any particular reason you have not applied the updates and bug fixes?

Apply updates in number order

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=98&platform=Windows

• 7. Re: Really Jerky Video
                      FloatingPuff Level 1

Attached is a scan of the jumpy file in question.  If that wasn't what you wanted, just tell me what to do it and I'll scan what I need to.

I also installed the updates.

The C drive is 451 GB with 274 free, the D recovery is 5.45 free of 14.

Premiere and all of its assets are on the C drive.

7200 RPM.

4GB ram.

• Processor Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 / 2.4 GHz
                      • Multi-Core processor technology Dual-Core
                      • 64-bit processor
                      • Data bus speed 1066 MHz

Storage controller type - Serial ATA

Hopefully this is what you need, and if not, tell me what you require, and preferably how to get it, because I'm not all that tech-savvy when it comes to the nitty-gritty of computers. Thanks!

• 8. Re: Really Jerky Video
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

Where did you get the "movie clip" you're trying to edit?

• 9. Re: Really Jerky Video
                          FloatingPuff Level 1

Off of my camera. Sony cybershot 7.2 MP.

• 10. Re: Really Jerky Video
                            Jim_Simon Level 8

OK, that's a still camera.  That it happens to take 'video' is unfortunate, because people such as yourself will then use it to take 'video' and assume it will edit as well as any other video.  But that's not always the case.

If you want to edit, use a real video camera.

• 11. Re: Really Jerky Video
                              FloatingPuff Level 1

I've used it to take videos that edit quite well on school computers using the same versions of Premiere, on much worse hardware.

• 12. Re: Really Jerky Video
                                Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

You have a single disk computer and generally that is the cause

• 13. Re: Really Jerky Video
                                  Mike35634

I've had the exact same problem with CS4 since installing on Windows 7 64-bit.  I've tried dozens of videos of all different frame rates, encoding, etc.  When I preview or render the output is jerky like it's repeating and rewinding random frames several at a time.  Audio is fine however.  The videos import into PPro just fine and play fine.

I've been using PPro for several revs, on much less capable hardware, and never had this problem (but not on Windows 7).  The problem seems to be somewhat lessened if I put the videos on a sequence set for 24fps.  Probably just seems better because there are less fps to see jerkiness!

The only things I can think of that it could be at this point are:

- broken codec(s)

- video driver (I'm using the latest driver ATI Radeon 3850HD).  Seems unlikely.

I've researched this for hours.  I don't believe it's an "insufficient hardware" issue (I'm running a Quad core with 4GBs RAM) and I don't think it's a hard drive issue.  I have never seen a definitive solution anyone has come across.

• 14. Re: Really Jerky Video

What is your disk system, number of disks, speed, how full are the disks?

• 15. Re: Really Jerky Video
                                      davdav99 Level 1

Hi I am also have problems with Jerky playback of SD AVI with CS4 on Windows 7 (64bit).

Help please, I have been search for a solution for two days and nights and it seems that I am not the only one experiencing this problem.

I have a "super fast" computer i7 running at 3.5GHz and 12G RAM. I have two 1TB drives set up as striped RAID and I have less than 1GB of data on it. My video card is the NVidia GeForce 9600GT with 512MB. I also have CS4.1 Premiere Pro.

I built this system to edit AVCHD files natively, but now I need to edit some old DV footage from my SD camera. The footage is good and plays back perfectly in Microsoft Media Player and VLC however...

PROBLEM:

When I play the footage back on the timeline in CS4, it plays back jerky. Any movement is a jerky movement. Audio plays back fine.

I have checked my project settings and they are the same as the clip, ie no rendering is required.

One other thing I tried was to export the clip from Premiere as an AVI file and then reimport it. It took no time at all to export; I suspect because it was simply copying the file - however once imported I had the same problem.

Please help as I am trying to put together my wedding video for my wife. We were married 3 years ago and I really want to surprise her.

Cheers,
                                      Davdav99

• 16. Re: Really Jerky Video
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Davdav,

Please tell us a bit more about these SD Assets. The full details would be very helpful. If you need a bit of background and some tips on finding the full info, this ARTICLE might be of use.

Also, thank you for listing your I/O sub-system, unlike most others who have tagged on to this thread. That helps greatly.

Comments will soon follow.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 17. Re: Really Jerky Video
                                          davdav99 Level 1

Hunt, I'll do that tonight and get back to you.

Not sure if it will help, but my AVI file is a DV-AVI file imported straight from my Panasonic DX100 through the firewire port using an earlier version of Premiere Pro capture.  Since capturing the files I have since upgraded my computer and my version of Premiere Pro to version CS4.1.

The file I believe it is DV-AVI type 2, but will confirm tonight.

Any other ideas in the mean time for me to try tonight?

Cheers,

Davdav99

• 18. Re: Really Jerky Video
                                            davdav99 Level 1

It looks like the file is DV Type 2 AVI, and the codecs are installed.  I have copied the screenshot here.

Any ideas on what to do next?  Everyone's help is appreciated!

Also I have been doing some reading and found that in Preferences in Premiere there is an option to change the "Player Settings", but the only option is to choose "Adobe Player".  I have a feeling that this is my problem.  It should work but it doesn't work well.  Perhaps if there was a 3rd party player which I could download and select under this option.  Any suggestions?

Finally I tried viewing the footage under Encore CS4 and there are no problems, ie it is Jerky-FREE playback.  Also in desperation Itried setting my page file to double my RAM, ie 24GB, all with no change.  I didn't expect this would do anything as I already have 12GB of RAM which I don't think Premiere CS4 can even access - it's 32 bit I believe unlike the CS4 Photoshop.

Your help is most appreciated?  Is there a technical expert from Adobe we can also ask?  There is nothing on this in their Knowledge base.

Cheers,

Davdav

• 19. Re: Really Jerky Video

First I assume your DX100 is the HV-DX100 and not the AG-DX100.  This means it is it is a VHS-C tape and also I see from your screen shot that it is 25 frames per second or PAL.  Since you only have problems in Premiere and not Encore are you sure that you used the correct preset in Premiere?  Also you did provide information on your disk system in that you have two disks in RAID 0.  I sure hope that you have at least one other phyiscal disk for your Operating System.  I have never used VHS-C with any version of Premiere, maybe some of the younger oldtimers on the forum know the in's and out's of VHS-C and Premiere

• 20. Re: Really Jerky Video
                                                Harm Millaard Level 7

If this was originally captured with a Matrox card installed, chances are you are suffering from field reversal. Use interpret footage to change field dominance and see if that solves it.

BTW, if Bill is correct in his assumption that it is PAL material, based on the 25 FPS, then the resolution is incorrect, 720 x 480 is NTSC, 720 x 576 is PAL. So your source material is incorrect to start with. Recapturing may be the only solution.

• 21. Re: Really Jerky Video
                                                  par14

there is an option in CS4 on the qaulity of playback in the preview window, I had a simular thing adjusted it to its maximum Qaulity setting as I have extreamly powerfull machine this worked for me though you would think reducing qaulity playback would have been better but that just made things worse hope this helps a few of you.

• 22. Re: Really Jerky Video
                                                    davdav99 Level 1

Bill,

I didn't realise that there were so many different models of the Panasonic DX100.  Mine is the NV-DX100 which is an SD mini-DV camera and has a firewire port.

In answer to your question, yes I have another dedicated 1TB hard disk for the operating system, and to rule out problems with the RAID I have tried viewing the video footage on both the RAID and the dedicated hard disk, resulting in the same Jerky playback in Premiere.  The presets are correct - I have triple checked them.

Cheers

• 23. Re: Really Jerky Video
                                                      davdav99 Level 1

Harm,

I checked field reversal and that's does not seem to be the problem.  Actually I tried all options to no avail.

Yes the video is PAL and at 25fps (50i), but that's a good pickup by you that GSpot says that the video is 720x480.  So I inported the video file into Premiere and it states in Premiere that the file is 25fps and 720x576 which is correct.  I cannot explain why GSpot says something different.  So I tested a DV-AVI file I created from my Panasonic HMC152 in GSpot and it comes up correctly as 720x576.  When I play this video in Premiere CS4.1 it is also jerky.  The only video that is not jerky is video recorded at 50p from my HMC152.

I'll keep trying other things.  It is becoming frustrating though.  I have reinstalled Premiere, etc ,etc

• 24. Re: Really Jerky Video
                                                        davdav99 Level 1

Par14

I played around with the preview window quality options.  None have an effect.  In other words, all modes plays back Jerky video.  It was worth a try though. Any other ideas for me to try?

• 25. Re: Really Jerky Video
                                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Davdav,

Just to make sure that I am following along correctly, what you have is PAL footage at 25fps and this is what you want. You have placed this PAL footage into an appropriate PAL Project, set to 25fps, which should match your footage and play smoothly, but it is not. G-Spot is showing the footage as 29.9 fps, which it is not. Is this correct?

I'm most interested in your Project's/Sequence's Preset, making sure that it matches your footage.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 26. Re: Really Jerky Video
                                                            Harm Millaard Level 7

Do you happen to have either of the bottom tick boxes checked?

23-08-2009 01-12-36.jpg

If so, untick them both and ensure that this applies to the drive and all subdirectories. Skip the files that Windows says can't be unindexed.

If that still does not help, post a screenshot from process explorer. You can find it here: Sysinternal Utilities

• 27. Re: Really Jerky Video
                                                              par14 Level 1

OK there's a couple of idea's the first is have you checked the setting in edit - preferences - general - optimize for rendering. that may help plus clear cache in media tab it resolves all sorts  of niggley things.

I do not know what version on windows your running but this may also help.  many people are not aware Vista and 7 (32 &64 bit) run different from all previous versions windows. Vista & 7 prefer not handling video and that's all done via the graphics cards and that includes all rendering, to speed up the rendering process use multiple linked graphic cards. this said windows will allocate more processor power to this if needed but will cause a slowdown else where & adobe software needs a lot to run smooth.

Just as a note I had to play with settings to get my private built system running as smooth as I would like, my system has 12 GB Ram + 6GB RAM on 2 X 2dual graphics cards with 8 X 3.2GHZ processors + 3 x 1.5TB sate drives and still played with setting to get running smoothly.

I think it may just be hardware issue I did have something simular but when  outputted the played back file was fine hope this helps

Regards Pete

• 28. Re: Really Jerky Video
                                                                davdav99 Level 1

Hunt,

Everything you say is correct except that GSpot is not showing 29.9 fps but is actually showing 25 fps as expected for PAL.  Refer back to the screenshot I attached to one of my earlier posts in this thread.

Cheers,
                                                                Davdav

• 29. Re: Really Jerky Video
                                                                  davdav99 Level 1

Hi Par14,

I have made the changes in the Preference menu as suggested with no improvement to my issue.

For your information, I am running Window 7 (64 bit) on a i7 with 12GB or RAM.  My video card is a Nividia 9600GT with 512 MB of RAM which I thought would be more than ample.  Are you suggesting that it may well be with my video card as the problem?  Surely, to play SD video on such a powerful computer I shouldn't be having these problems.

Do you know of a third party player I can use in Premiere CS4.1?  Under Preferences>Player Settings it looks like you can change the default player... but I have "Adobe Player" at the only option.  As all other players on my computer (MS Media Player, VLC) play the video perfectly, I am assuming that it is the Adobe Player that is causing me problems.

Your thoughts?

• 30. Re: Really Jerky Video
                                                                    davdav99 Level 1

Harm,

Both checkboxes are NOT checked on my computer.

Also to answer your second question, can you first explain how I can post a screenshot in this forum?

Thanks Davdav

• 31. Re: Really Jerky Video
                                                                      Harm Millaard Level 7

You make a screenshot and save the file, for instance as a JPG file, then use the camera icon to upload when you post.

• 32. Re: Really Jerky Video

It is not your video card I only have a 8800GT in my old internet computer and my video editing computer and both systems run Premiere CS4 fine.  Do you regularly defrag your disks?

• 33. Re: Really Jerky Video
                                                                          par14 Level 1

Hi davdav99 Sorry new to posting that commemt regarding graphics card was for original posting not aimed at yourself you spec seems fine to me as for win 7 I have it but as my sytem runs great at the mo I am reluctant to install. call me a chicken if you like. the only other thing I had problems with is with was waiting for an update to flash my ROM which then accessed my memmory better plus made my 3.2GHZ qaud core processor perform better. that linked with installing CrossFire update for linking 2 X ATI Radion HD4870 X 2 graphic cards but hey they where my issues I do not think that applies I think thats the end of my suggestion. Good Luck

Regards Pete

• 34. Re: Close to a solution... but still need your help
                                                                            davdav99 Level 1

After almost a month of trying everything I think I have finally narrowed my jerky playback in Premiere issue down.

It seems that the problem only occurs when I stretch the Premiere Pro application across my two 19" monitors.  It doesn't matter how big, or how small, the playback screen is, the resulting playback is extremely jerky.

Considering that I would like to have the Premiere Pro application spread across two monitors (I am really used to this configuration), the obvious answer to this would be to purchase a second video card instead of the single Gigabyte GeForce 9600 GT (512MB RAM) which is currently driving both displays.  However that would be an expensive experiment and I understood that for video editing this card would be much more than adequate.  After all I used to perform SD video editing on my old PC with Premiere v6.0 and a single Matrox G400 dual head card (16MB RAM) back in 2000, and the new video card is worlds apart in speed and performance.

Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated on this matter?  I feel close to resolving this.  Maybe there is a driver or update or something to get Premiere working across the two screens as well as it used to back 8 years ago.

Thanks in advance.

• 35. Re: Really Jerky Video
                                                                              par14 Level 1

As I stated earlier vista & 7 depend on graphic cards for processing /

rendering graphics I feel you are asking 2 much from your graphic card &

processor to run in HD which is 4-5 times more effort than SD along with CS4

which is a thirsty beast when it comes to processor power. just check that

you can link the 2 cards together & that they match exactly to prevent

further problems. mine has no problem running 22" and 50" in 1920X1200

plasma in dual screen mode.

see if you can borrow a card from a friend or if your nice to a store when

asking for advice they might let you return the card  if it fails to work,

most good stores sometime allow that especially if you ask one of there

experts.

• 36. Re: Really Jerky Video

Sorry but I have to disagree.  If you are running Vista or Win 7 and are using the AERO interface then you are correct about them requiring more graphics power but any knowledgeable and satisfied Premiere user with those OS's does not use AERO.  For Premiere do not link two cards together in SLI or Crossfire. The first thing I do is disable AERO.  I do not have two horizontal screens to logically extend the desktop, but I do have two screens vertically and I use the upper screen (1920x1200) to display my HDV ouput via the playback settings on my wimpy 8800GT with perfectly smooth motion with any of my three Operating Systems in CS4 v4.1.

• 37. Re: Really Jerky Video
                                                                                  Jim_Simon Level 8

any knowledgeable and satisfied Premiere user with those OS's does not use AERO.

I do.  I love Aero.  Haven't had any issues with it in Win 7.  Frankly, I don't understand all the fuss about turning it off.  Aero is one of the nicest new features of Vista and Win 7.

• 38. Re: Really Jerky Video
                                                                                    davdav99 Level 1

"I feel you are asking 2 much from your graphic card &

processor to run in HD which is 4-5 times more effort than SD..."

Hi Par14,

I am not running HD in this exercise.  It is all SD video.  ie exactly the same project that I worked on my computer of almost 10 years ago.  This is a puzzlement.

• 39. Re: Really Jerky Video
                                                                                      davdav99 Level 1

Bill wrote, " I do have two screens vertically and I use the upper screen (1920x1200) to display my HDV ouput via the playback settings on my wimpy 8800GT with perfectly smooth motion with any of my three Operating Systems in CS4 v4.1."

Bill,

I have switched off Aero but with the same jerky video problem.  I am a little envious as I would love to have perfectly smooth motion too.  Could you help me set up my two screens similar to your configuration?  I would be thrilled to have premiere on one of my 19" monitors, and playback on the second screen.  How do you do this in Premiere Pro CS4.1?

I downloaded Sony Vegas as a trial and there is a button at the top which allows full screen previews on the second monitor, and it is smooth, but I am used to Premiere Pro and found no way to do this.

I am eagerly awaiting your reply, and thank everyone here for their help!

Cheerss

1 2 Previous Next