19 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2009 8:39 PM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Elements 1.0 DVD burning problem

wxyluedde

I have Adobe Premiere Elements 1.0.  Twice I have tried to burn a DVD of my edited video project.  Each time, I have only gotten the video and no audio on the DVD.

Each time, I initiated the burning process by clicking on the "Burn DVD" button in the task bar.  I then clicked on the thr"Preview DVD" button under the  DVD Layout screen in the center of the window.  This preview always played both video and audio.  So then I clicked on the "Burn DVD" button under the DVD Layout screen.  Premiere Elements 1.0 then proceeded to burn the DVD.

Can you tell me what I need to do to get both the video and audio on my burned DVD?

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 1.0 DVD burning problem
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Most of my thoughts go out of the window, since you got the Audio in Preview. I was going to suggest that you do not have an Audio Track Muted or Bypassed, but Preview should point that up.

Though the problems usually manifest themselves in other ways, what brand of DVD media are you using?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 1.0 DVD burning problem
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If you're getting video but no audio on your DVD, it's not likely a problem with the media. It's more likely a problem with your source video.

What type of camcorder is this video coming from and how are you getting it into your computer?

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 1.0 DVD burning problem
              wxyluedde Level 1

Hi Steve,

Many thanks for responding to my forum posting about having difficulty getting the audio track when burning a DVD using Adobe Premiere Elements 1.0. 

The video camera I am using is a Sony.  My son happens to have it now, but tomorrow I will be able to get the model number from him.  I will send it along as soon as I get it. 

I used an IEEE1394 Fire Wire to transfer the raw video from the videocam into my computer.

I have used this Sony videocam - Fire Wire combination many times in the past with Premiere Elements 1.0, and never had a problem successfully burning a DVD with both the video and audio tracks.  Although I only do a couple of videos like this each year, and usually have to refer to "Adobe Premiere Elements Classroom In A Book" to remind me of some of the steps I need to take to both edit the raw video and burn a DVD, it has always worked in the past.

My current project is about an hour-long video after editing.  I didn't detect any problems during the rather extensive editing I applied to the raw video.  I then clicked on the "Burn" button in the task bar.  When the next window came up, I clicked on "Preview" under the screen near the center of the window.  The preview played perfectly - both video and audio.  I then clicked on the "Burn" button under the screen.  Another screen comes up - referring to a product with no menus, and as I recall, the only additional input I made on this screen was to specify the highest quality  product.

I then told the program to go ahead with the DVD burn.  The only strange thing that I noticed during the burning process was that the time required indicator kept jumping around from over 2 hours to 1 hour and many minutes.  But after what seemed like several hours, the DVD was finally burned.

When I put this DVD onto the DVD player tray in my laptop, and clicked on its icon after clicking on "My Computer", all that the DVD would play was the video track - no audio.

This is a pretty complete run-down of what went on.  I hope that something in this narrative will offer you a clue as to why the audio track did not play.  Yes, I made sure that the computer's audio was on and that the volume was set very high.

Many thanks for your help in this matter,

John C. Luedde

-

Steve Grisetti <forums@adobe.com> wrote:

If you're getting video but no audio on your DVD, it's not likely a problem with the media. It's more likely a problem with your source video.

What type of camcorder is this video coming from and how are you getting it into your computer?

>

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 1.0 DVD burning problem

Sorry, John. I don't see anything in your work steps that could be responsible for an audio problem.

Have you tested the DVD in more than one DVD player?

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 1.0 DVD burning problem
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

From the OP's workflow, I would say that it is the laptop that is the likely culprit. There could be any number of places that its audio setting could be turned off.

The idea of taking that disc to a set-top player, hooked to a TV is a good one.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 1.0 DVD burning problem
                    wxyluedde Level 1

Thanks Hunt,

Thanks for your email. 

This lack of the audio track on my burned DVD is something new.  Usually, a couple of times per year I will take video with my Sony videocam and then use Adobe Premiere Elements 1.0 to edit the raw video and then burn  DVD.  Since I only do a couple of videos each year, I sometimes have to be reminded about all the steps from raw video to burned DVD.  My reference is "Adobe Premiere Elements Classroom in a Book", and I think that I followed all the steps that I usually execute.

As I did the editing, I had both video and audio tracks working -there was no suggestion of problems.  After I clicked on  the "Burn DVD" button in the Task bar, and got next window with the screen near the center, I clicked on the "Preview" button under the screen, and the preview played perfectly - both video and audio.

I then clicked on the "Burn" button under the screen.  Up comes a window related to burning a non-menu video.  As I recall, the only input I made on that screen was to set the image quality to maximum. 

Premiere Elements then went ahead and burned the DVD.  Both times I tried, the video was copied to the DVD perfectly - but no audio.

Now doesn't that beat all?

Thanks for your thoughts on my problem'

John C. Luedde

-

the_wine_snob <forums@adobe.com> wrote:

From the OP's workflow, I would say that it is the laptop that is the likely culprit. There could be any number of places that its audio setting could be turned off.

The idea of taking that disc to a set-top player, hooked to a TV is a good one.

Good luck,

Hunt

>

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 1.0 DVD burning problem
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

John,

Just so that I am clear, you have tested your DVD on a set-top player, hooked to a TV and there is no Audio there either. Is that correct?

If you are not getting Audio from the DVD in both your computer and also in a set-top player, then there is definitely something wrong with the Burning process.

As both the Audio and the Video are muxed into an MPEG-2 stream and written within the .VOB on the DVD-Video, that seems highly unlikely.

Again, your workflow steps look correct, and if you got Audio on both the Timeline and in Preview, I cannot imagine how the Burn could omit the Audio from the disc. Sorry.

Hunt

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 1.0 DVD burning problem
                        Kodebuster Level 3

To eliminate the media and the physical burn to a DVD disk, try a simple ''Burn to Folder''.

This will encode and place the correct files directly on your Computer, and you can try playing directly from this Folder.

I'm leaning towards Steve's comments, as I aways tend to blame the video source.

If the source is still available via the Camera, try downloading a new short sample set, and see if the audio clears up.

As your running out of options quickly, any approach is better than none...

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 1.0 DVD burning problem
                          wxyluedde Level 1

Hi Steve,

Well, what a surprise!!!  I did as you suggested and played the DVD on the DVD player attached to my TV, and IT WORKS!!  It plays both audio and video. 

So now I have a new mystery.  The audio on my laptop works when I review  my  Adobe Premiere  product in the "Preview" mode, but it doesn't work when I try to play the resulting burned DVD on the computer's CD/DVD drive  So when I play the DVD on the player attached to my TV everything is fine, but playing it on the CD/DVD drive of my laptop computer gives me only the video.

It's too bad that Sherlock Holmes is not alive today.  If he was looking for mysteries to solve, computer-based systems could keep him occupied for several lifetimes.

Many thanks for your "on-the-money" suggestion.

John Luedde

-

Steve Grisetti <forums@adobe.com> wrote:

Sorry, John. I don't see anything in your work steps that could be responsible for an audio problem.

Have you tested the DVD in more than one DVD player?

>

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 1.0 DVD burning problem
                            wxyluedde Level 1

Hi Kodebuster,

I got your email right after I got another one from Steve in which he suggested that I try playing the DVD that I burned  on my laptop using Premiere Elements 1.0, on a different DVD player.  I did what he suggested and played the "problem" DVD on the player attached to my TV instead of the CD/DVD  drive on my laptop.  Wonder-of-wonders, IT WORKED - I got both perfect video and audio!

So, as I said in my latest email to Steve, I now have a new mystery.  How come I can play my Photoshop Premiere Elements production in the "Preview" mode on my laptop and get a perfect reproduction - both video and audio, but when I play the resulting burned DVD on my laptop's internal CD/DVD drive, all I get is the video?  It is a mystery worthy of Sherlock Holmes!

Many thanks for your help,

John C. Luedde

-

Kodebuster <forums@adobe.com> wrote:

To eliminate the media and the physical burn to a DVD disk, try a simple ''Burn to Folder''.

This will encode and place the correct files directly on your Computer, and you can try playing directly from this Folder.

I'm leaning towards Steve's comments, as I aways tend to blame the video source.

If the source is still available via the Camera, try downloading a new short sample set, and see if the audio clears up.

As your running out of options quickly, any approach is better than none...

>

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 1.0 DVD burning problem
                              PopaTim Level 1

There could be many reasons why you don't have audio when you play your burned DVD. Lets start witht he easiest.

Please check the volume control in whichever DVD player software you are using and make sure its turned up and not muted.

What make and model laptop do you have and which Operatiing System are you using?

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements 1.0 DVD burning problem
                                wxyluedde Level 1

Hi Hunt,

I am sorry if I have confused things in my last posting to Steve.  Let me try to clarify the situation as of July 30.

I did as Steve suggested and played to DVD on the DVD player attached to my TV, and to my great surprise, IT WORKED! Both the video and audio played perfectly.  So I no longer have a problem, but rather a mystery.

The mystery is that the audio on my laptop works when I review my Adobe Premiere Elements product in the "Preview" mode - so I know that all the elements in the audio chain of my laptop work, including the volume control - but it doesn't work when I try to play the resulting burned DVD on the computer's internal CD/DVD drive.  So, when I play the DVD on the player attached to my TV, everything is fine, but playing it on the CD/DVD dive of my laptop computer gives me only video.

However, now that I know I have a work-around to verify that I have  both video and audio on my DVD, I am a happy, although mystified camper.

Thanks again for  your interest and help in finding a way through my DVD problem,

John C. Luedde

-

John,

Just so that I am clear, you have tested your DVD on a set-top player, hooked to a TV and there is no Audio there either. Is that correct?

If you are not getting Audio from the DVD in both your computer and also in a set-top player, then there is definitely something wrong with the Burning process.

As both the Audio and the Video are muxed into an MPEG-2 stream and written within the .VOB on the DVD-Video, that seems highly unlikely.

Again, your workflow steps look correct, and if you got Audio on both the Timeline and in Preview, I cannot imagine how the Burn could omit the Audio from the disc. Sorry.

Hunt

>

• 13. Re: Premiere Elements 1.0 DVD burning problem
                                  wxyluedde Level 1

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your response to my problem.

In Steve's last communication he recommended that I try the DVD that I burned in a different DVD player, so I put the DVD into the player attached to my TV and IT WORKED!  It played both the audio and video.

I know that all the elements in the audio chain on my laptop ( a Dell Inspiron 9300 with Windows XP operating system) work because when I played the production I put together using Premiere Elements 1.0 using the "Preview" mode,  both the video and audio played perfectly, and the volume control worked.

Should this problem continue, I now know that I have an easy "workaround".  I will just put the burned DVD into the player attached to my TV, and see if both video and audio come out.

Thus, as of July 30, I am a happy, though mystified, camper.

Thanks for your interest and help in working this problem.

John C. Luedde

-

PopaTim <forums@adobe.com> wrote:

There could be many reasons why you don't have audio when you play your burned DVD. Lets start witht he easiest.

Please check the volume control in whichever DVD player software you are using and make sure its turned up and not muted.

What make and model laptop do you have and which Operatiing System are you using?

>

• 14. Re: Premiere Elements 1.0 DVD burning problem
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                                    The mystery is that the audio on my laptop works when I review my Adobe Premiere Elements product in the "Preview" mode - so I know that all the elements in the audio chain of my laptop work, including the volume control - but it doesn't work when I try to play the resulting burned DVD on the computer's internal CD/DVD drive.

To troubleshoot this behavior, I would first play a commercial DVD on your computer, using the same DVD software player, that you tested your burned DVD with. Does a commercial DVD play with full Audio (no other changes, except for the media used)?

If not, there are three places to check:

1.) the Audio output in your DVD software player

2.) the Audio settings in your sound-card's control console

3.) the Sounds settings in your OS

All three (and any one) can affect what you hear, and how you hear it. Look for any sources as being Muted, or the settings very low. Again, look in al three locations, as you want to make sure that you do not have anything turned OFF, or Muted.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: Premiere Elements 1.0 DVD burning problem
                                      wxyluedde Level 1

Hunt, I tried your suggestion and tried to play a commercial DVD on my laptop's internal CD/DVD drive.  The result - no audio,only video - just like I encountered when I tried to play the DVD I burned using Photoshop Premiere.

So I will proceed to check out the 3 things that you said to check in your email.  I will let you know the result.

John L.

-

The mystery is that the audio on my laptop works when I review my Adobe Premiere Elements product in the "Preview" mode - so I know that all the elements in the audio chain of my laptop work, including the volume control - but it doesn't work when I try to play the resulting burned DVD on the computer's internal CD/DVD drive.

To troubleshoot this behavior, I would first play a commercial DVD on your computer, using the same DVD software player, that you tested your burned DVD with. Does a commercial DVD play with full Audio (no other changes, except for the media used)?

If not, there are three places to check:

1.) the Audio output in your DVD software player

2.) the Audio settings in your sound-card's control console

3.) the Sounds settings in your OS

All three (and any one) can affect what you hear, and how you hear it. Look for any sources as being Muted, or the settings very low. Again, look in al three locations, as you want to make sure that you do not have anything turned OFF, or Muted.

Good luck,

Hunt

>

• 16. Re: Premiere Elements 1.0 DVD burning problem

Great news, John!

Though it really shouldn't be a "surprise" when my advice works, should it?

• 17. Re: Premiere Elements 1.0 DVD burning problem
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Good luck in finding the setting for the Audio on the laptop. Besides checking the settings in those three locations, I'd also go to Realtek, or whomever your Audio card/chip mfgr. is, and getting the latest driver. Windows updates can kill those instantly, and a newer one is usually all that it takes to get things back up and running.

Hunt

• 18. Re: Premiere Elements 1.0 DVD burning problem
                                            wxyluedde Level 1

Well Hunt, the mystery is finally solved!  And like every mystery, it should have been obvious. 

It all had to do with the "Media Player" in my Windows XP OS.  It should have been obvious to me that since I got both video and audio when I played my finished product through Photoshop Premiere Elements, but only got video when playing the burned DVD on the computer's internal CD/DVD player that the problem was likely to be in the "Media Player" because the "Media Player" is not involved when using Photoshop Premiere Elements to play my finished product.

Both before and after  my call went out to the Forum about  this problem, I checked to see that I had not inadvertently pushed the "Mute" button on the front of my laptop, and I had not. 

This evening I decided to "wander" through the screens that come up when playing a DVD on the internal CD/DVD drive. First I clicked on "My Computer". Then clicked on the DVD icon. Up comes "Windows Media Player".  There are a bunch of buttons in the Task Bar, one of which is "Play".  I clicked on "Play" and got a drop-down menu.  The 2nd item from the bottom is "Volume".  Clicking on that one gets a slide-out menu with "Up", "Down" and "Mute".  Somehow or other that "Mute" must have gotten activated (since I had never used the "Play"  command on the "Windows Media Player" screen before, I can't figure out how it got activated).

Apparently the "Mute" command under "Play" overrides the "Mute" button on the front of the computer, because no matter how many times you push the "Mute" button on the front of the computer, you wont get any audio if the "Mute" option under "Play" is activated.

So when I activated "Up" on the "Volume" slide-out menu under "Play', everything now works.  Now the only mystery is how the "Mute" under "Play" in Windows Media Player got activated.  But since I now know what to do if it ever happens again, I am happy to not worry about this last (and trivial) mystery.

Many thanks for your help and encouragement,

John L.

-

Good luck in finding the setting for the Audio on the laptop. Besides checking the settings in those three locations, I'd also go to Realtek, or whomever your Audio card/chip mfgr. is, and getting the latest driver. Windows updates can kill those instantly, and a newer one is usually all that it takes to get things back up and running.

Hunt

>

• 19. Re: Premiere Elements 1.0 DVD burning problem
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9
                                              Well Hunt, the mystery is finally solved!  And like every mystery, it should have been obvious. 

This is, indeed, great news! Sometimes, the clues lead away from the solution, and sometimes towards the solution.

Apparently the "Mute" command under "Play" overrides the "Mute" button on the front of the computer, because no matter how many times you push the "Mute" button on the front of the computer, you wont get any audio if the "Mute" option under "Play" is activated.

There are so many places that Audio can be Muted, or otherwise attenuated, that I normally start with the OS and work outward. I had not thought of WMP, as most versions, since about XP, have not been able to play DVD's, without a supplementary add-on. MS stripped out the ability to thwart "DVD piracy," or so they said. Still, there is the OS, the audio card's console and then the various player options. Any/all can be the culprit.

Thanks for doing the "heavy-lifting," and tracking this one down. With so many possibilities at hand, it is not always easy and requires a lot of searching. Now, I have another possibility to offer to others, thanks to you.

Appreciated,

Hunt